300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic/Car Mod Question

I looked around but I wasn't completely sure what to search under so here is my question and if it has been asked if someone could point me in the right direction with a link or something that would be great.

I currently live in Minnesota and I drive a 96 Talon TSI.. I will be moving to California within the next month and I was wondering if I have to put my car back to stock? Meaning I have a bodykit on it and it's lowered.. my engine is still stock and will stay that way I have stock exhaust and everything.. does it violate any laws to have a bodykit and have it lowered out in California? I have all parts that have been modified on my car clearly marked by stickers under my hood because that's what they want out here for it to be legal... I guess I just need to know if I will get any tickets for this or if there is a way around putting stock stuff back on as I will have to find some because I bought my car with the bodykit and lowering springs.

Thanks for your help

If it's just slightly lowered with a body kit you will be ok. I believe the lowest point of the car has to be atleast four inches from the pavement, but without looking it up, don't quote me on that. Make sure all your engine modifications are 50 state legal. Are you coming here to get hired with a dept? Some depts are very strict with their employees/applicants vehicles. If you are worried about tickets, there are too many highly modified imports for most of us o worry about a mostly stock Talon. The biggest thing you will get pulled over for are tinted windows and no front license plate.
    Last edited by FPD GUY; 07-29-2008, 10:04 AM. Reason: incomplete

Comment

Lowered vehicles in CA are legal as long as:

Modification of Vehicles

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.
      That section applies whether the vehicle is sitting empty or occupied.

If you want to "jack" it, then:

Frame and Floor Height
      24008.5. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle with a frame height or body floor height greater than specified in subdivisions (b) and (c).

(b) The maximum frame height is as follows:

[This table lists the maximum frame height for various types of vehicles.] * Vehicle Type Frame Height
      (1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars 23 inches
      (2) All other motor vehicles, including housecars, as follows:
      Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR 27 inches
      4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR 30 inches
      7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR 31 inches

(c) The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches above the top of the frame.

(d) The following definitions govern the construction of this section:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest main longitudinal structural members of the body of the vehicle.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame, measured when the vehicle is unladen on a level surface at the lowest point on the frame midway between the front axle and the second axle on the vehicle.

(3) "GVWR" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, as defined in Section 390, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

* The bracketed information has been added editorially to meet accessibility requirements and is not part of statute.

Amended Ch. 718, Stats. 1987. Effective January 1, 1988.
      You must also make certain that all required equipment; lighting, license plates, exhausts, etc., are mounted within the minimum and maximum heights allowable by the Vehicle Code.

Sections: 5201, 24400, 24600, 24601, 24603, 24951 and 27152.

When you arrive in CA I would suggest you invest in a copy of the vehicle code so you can review any items you may question. They are available through a number of popular book stores and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

In the interim, here is an internet copy for you to look at:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Where you moving? Watch out for CHP they will find something illegal

Comment

Originally posted by LAschoolCop View Post
          What they said ^^^^^

Comment

That, my friend, is called job security!
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

Thank you this has all been very useful to me.. I will be moving to San Jose..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                That, my friend, is called job security!
                Yes it is! Hey Sgt can you explain to me 27151 (b) I think? where it explains the decible level for exhaust systems. I dont cite for 27151 since I too have a modified exhaust system, which is not for noise and does not exceed the decible level in the VC. Yet everybody cites for this section and my car "people" just go to a ref and gets the decible level checked and the ticket signed off.

Comment

Yes it is! Hey Sgt can you explain to me 27151 (b) I think? where it explains the decible level for exhaust systems. I dont cite for 27151 since I too have a modified exhaust system, which is not for noise and does not exceed the decible level in the VC. Yet everybody cites for this section and my car "people" just go to a ref and gets the decible level checked and the ticket signed off.
                  Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.
                  This is how the test is to be conducted:

The SEMA model provides for the testing of vehicle exhaust noise to a standard adopted by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) with an established noise limit of 95-decibels (SAE J1169). Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle and the engine is revved to three quarters of maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded.
                  In many instances the modified sport compacts are in violation of excessive noise with their altered systems. When I was a kid it was the "glass packs" installed on the rods that were illegal.

Comment

You have quite the interesting user name... I thought maybe you were a tranny at first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4841 users online. 253 members and 4588 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X