300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claremont anybody?

Why is Claremont not talked about at all? I searched the forums and their are only 4 articles that even involve the word Claremont police. And the majority of them are just talking about bad people doing stupid stuff in Claremont or residents from Claremont doing stupid stuff else where.

What encounters professional or off duty has everyone had with Claremont?

Their pay looks fairly average with the rest of the IE agencies. What's good and bad about Claremont?

I also saw their website kinda endorses Rio Hondo do they sponsor trainees and if so wouldn't they use SBSO's academy for more full time training?
    Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Deleted - Double post
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM. Reason: Double post
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Claremont's great claim to fame is that it hosts a number of colleges known as the Claremont Colleges. They include: Pomona Men's College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College, Claremont-McKenna College, Scripp, Claremont Graduate University and the College of Theological Studies. Obviously, the city is a college town. The population is primarily professionals - lawyers, doctors, scholars, etc. It does have its lower class areas - that the city folks fail to recognize and blame the issues on Pomona or Montclair. It has a quaint downtown district that is about fifteen square blocks know as the "Village" with ecclectic shops and coffee shops. You can buy your "Berkenstocks" right there along with gause dresses and bongs.

Its nick name is "The City of Trees and Phds." It does have a lower crime base than the surrounding communities. There are two freeways that cut through the city - one on the north side (210) and one on the south side (I-10) - east to west. It is bordered by Pomona and LaVerne on the West and the San Bernardino county towns of Montclair and Upland on the East. It has a majestic view of the San Gabriel Mountains and Mount San Antonio (Mt. Baldy).

The PD is relative small. The population is about 40,000. Up until that late 1970s all police officers were also firefighters. They carried their turnouts in the patrol cars and responded to all fire calls as well as doing their patrol work.

All-in-all, it is a relatively quiet community and low keyed in its enforcement.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

So probably not a great department to start in or is it? Any idea how much/often they hire? I think i saw a figure that they only have 24 officers in patrol. How is morale, admin, equipment, etc. Being a "college town" how are the calls for service? Is it pretty busy or is it more of a bedroom community? Is city council pretty supportive?
        Not affiliated with my avatar. My opinions are all mine and do not represent anybody else. All names are fictional and coincidental if there is someone in the world with aforementioned name.

Comment

The reason they endorse Rio Hondo and not SBSO academy is because they are in Los Angeles County.
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I have a partner that left and went to Claremont. He came back and said he could not take the boredom. They also do not have any traffic units, so patrol gets stuck with every TC. I heard they take reports for almost everything, compared to neighboring departments who just update calls on the MDC. Thats about all I know of Claremont.

Comment

thanks guys i appreciate all the priceless information you guys have. FPD GUY do you know when the next testing is for your agency and how many your down presently if any at all?

Comment

They also have one of the most exclusive high school prep schools in the country, Webb school for boys and girls. It cost a fortune and I have known Middle East princes that have sent their children to the school. I believe President Reagan had one of his sons attend Webb School.

I worked a LASD station adjacent to Claremont for 15 years, I never had any problems with them, but they are a PR Dept. There are alot of very wealthy people that live in North Claremont and quite a few professional atheletes call it home. Snoop Dog lived there until pressure from his neighbors forced him to move to Diamond Bar.

Its not a dept. for a young officer looking for alot of action, there is very little violent crime.

The colleges in Claremont are some of the most selective in the Country, one of them has the highest academic entrance standard of any college in the country.
                Retired LASD

Comment

So as far as PR departments go which is more public relationsy. Claremont or Redlands? Also doesn't Upland have their own PD?

Comment

I would say Claremont is more PR than Redlands. Yes Upland does have its own Police Dept. I have lived in Upland for 34 years, Its nice when your neighbors are local cops and patrol your own neighborhood 10 times a day...
                    Retired LASD

Comment

A Claremont PD officer emailed this pic to me and asked what he should do when he gets calls like this. I told him to give this old brute whatever he wants and whatever he does don't ever think a handgun will do more than get his attention.
                      They do have a lot of bear problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                        A Claremont PD officer emailed this pic to me and asked what he should do when he gets calls like this. I told him to give this old brute whatever he wants and whatever he does don't ever think a handgun will do more than get his attention.

So How is their animal control services?

Comment

Originally posted by natejpg View Post
                          thanks guys i appreciate all the priceless information you guys have. FPD GUY do you know when the next testing is for your agency and how many your down presently if any at all?
                          Last time I checked we were still hiring for 15 positions. We are always hiring. I will check on when the next testing date is. Unless they changed things, I think you have to apply to get a testing date. Claremont is way more customer service than Redlands. Redlands is not too far behind though. They do not have very much proactive time in Redlands. I have a friend who works there, who said he only has time for about one T-stop/ped check per night. I stop atleast 15 people per shift.

Comment

Originally posted by FPD GUY View Post
                            Last time I checked we were still hiring for 15 positions. We are always hiring. I will check on when the next testing date is. Unless they changed things, I think you have to apply to get a testing date. Claremont is way more customer service than Redlands. Redlands is not too far behind though. They do not have very much proactive time in Redlands. I have a friend who works there, who said he only has time for about one T-stop/ped check per night. I stop atleast 15 people per shift.
                            Thanks FPD GUY you have been very helpful and your information is always good to hear. I look forward to hearing more from you and I probably owe you a drink or two for letting me pick your brain so much. I should probably buy alot of people from this site drinks though. If you have anymore advice about your agency and the hiring process / standards or what you all are looking for it would be greatly appreciated. You can PM it to me too if you want. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
                              LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Was in training at SBSO academy (AOT class at glen helen regional) was leaving when I saw SBSO and San Berdoo Pd chasin' a bear- actually out "on foot" chasing a brn bear !!! Saw the female SB co.animal reg officer "trying" to tell them NOT to chase the bear( she just shook her head and said ,"what are you gonna' do when he DECIDES TO STOP????!!!) If it were me? I'd stay in the crn vic,with windows rolled up and use the horn and sirens to scare ol' yogi back up into the hills.....
                              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5113 users online. 290 members and 4823 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X