300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dep. Chief Hillmann leaving L.A.P.D.

I got the news from L.A., yesterday, and I verified it with a former co-worker. Deputy Chief Mike Hillmann is retiring from LAPD after 40+ years of service. BUT...he's not done with law enforcement. He's taking an Undersheriff position in Orange County. LAPD's loss is very much the O.C.'s gain.

Mike Hillmann was a leader in SWAT design/tactics, crisis negotiation, coming up with mobile field force tactics, and running unusual occurrances. He was always behind the field troops, not just with words, but with deeds. He's a proven leader.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

So far, I've been impressed with our new sheriff.
    In backgrounds ...

Comment

According to The LA Times, Los Angeles County Sheriff's division chief John Scott will be the Undersheriff and Deputy Chief Mike Hillmann will be one of the four assistant sheriffs.

Comment

Time will tell, but the new Sheriff isn't making alot of fans with her CCW policy, Reserve policy, and bringing in LA County cops for command staff. Not to mention the fact that she got selected because of two female supervisors making a gender based selection. She's got 18 months to prove the naysayers wrong or she's gone. I'm not impressed yet.

Comment

Well, mine is more of a resident standpoint. I know there's a lot of good people at OCSD, but the residents are sick of reading about the scandals. I even know one of those rich supporters to whom Corona gave a gold badge, and I'm glad it's being taken away.

What's the change in the CCW policy?
          In backgrounds ...

Comment

One of the first things on her agenda was to review all current CCW holders. And from what I have read she is not very CCW friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Copp'rPenny View Post
              Well, mine is more of a resident standpoint.
              I am a resident as well, and have been for the last 37 years.

Comment

I just mean I'm not an LEO yet. The sheriff has two constituencies: the employees under her and the supervisors who hired her (and by extension, the voters).
                In backgrounds ...

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                  Reserve policy
                  Man...where was Carona when I was waiting over 2 yrs in backgrounds for Deputy Reserve?

Comment

Thanks for the hijacks, guys!
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Time will tell, but the new Sheriff isn't making alot of fans with her CCW policy, Reserve policy, and bringing in LA County cops for command staff. Not to mention the fact that she got selected because of two female supervisors making a gender based selection. She's got 18 months to prove the naysayers wrong or she's gone. I'm not impressed yet.
                      You sound rather xenophobic as well as sexist. Orange County's home-grown leadership did not exactly distinguish itself (at least, not in a positive way).

What Carona did with the reserves -- and his unsworn personnel who were given badges that looked like reserve badges -- was a disgrace, as well as illegal.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by bar room heroes View Post
                        One of the first things on her agenda was to review all current CCW holders. And from what I have read she is not very CCW friendly.
                        This will be interesting. OC lost a significant lawsuit due to it's restrictive CCW policy, which in many was is similar to LAPD and LASD's. (ie: If your not on the "A" list, you won't get one.) Now that the policy was court ordered to be more flexible, LAPD and LASD managers come on scene and we'll see how they deal with it.

Regarding the voter's dismay over the recent "scandals", they elected Corona and (from what I've read about that election) they should have had a pretty good idea about what they were getting.

Sorry Kieth for the continuing hijack. I could say something about DC Hillman, but it would probably be better to PM you about it first.
                        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                          You sound rather xenophobic as well as sexist. Orange County's home-grown leadership did not exactly distinguish itself (at least, not in a positive way).

What Carona did with the reserves -- and his unsworn personnel who were given badges that looked like reserve badges -- was a disgrace, as well as illegal.

Being as I'm an LA County cop the xenophobic commnet is off base. The sexist one is even more off base. As an Orange County resident I followed closely the selection process. If you had as well you would know what I was talking about with regards to the final days. Hutchens may very well do a great job, I am not impressed so far but I will give her a year. I believe Walters was a better and more qualifed selection. It's documented that female politicians were pushing hard for the female supervisors to select a female.

I also never said that I approved of Corona.

What Corona did with SOME of the Reserves was out of line. The vast majority of the Reserve force are qualified and dedicated. Lastly, the PSR badges don't look anything like the Deputy or Reserve Deputy badges.

Comment

Hutchens was highly regarded at LASD, and Hillman was likely highly regarded at LAPD. The other three command staff came from OCSD. Hutchens had no need for Walters, because she had plenty of experience commanding Norwalk patrol as well as high-level management.

What Corona did with SOME of the Reserves was out of line. The vast majority of the Reserve force are qualified and dedicated. Lastly, the PSR badges don't look anything like the Deputy or Reserve Deputy badges.
                            That's odd. I know one of the former "Level 4" (non-reserve reserves) who is a real reserve elsewhere, and he said that his OC badge looked like a reserve badge to most people. Furthermore, several people Carona appointed as reserves -- including Haidl -- were quite an embarrassment.

Penal Code § 538(d)(c):

(c) Any person who willfully wears, exhibits, or uses, or who
                            willfully makes, sells, loans, gives, or transfers to another, any
                            badge, insignia, emblem, device, or any label, certificate, card, or
                            writing, which falsely purports to be authorized for the use of one
                            who by law is given the authority of a peace officer, or which so
                            resembles the authorized badge, insignia, emblem, device, label,
                            certificate, card, or writing of a peace officer as would deceive an
                            ordinary reasonable person into believing that it is authorized for
                            the use of one who by law is given the authority of a peace officer,
                            is guilty of a misdemeanor
                            , except that any person who makes or sells
                            any badge under the circumstances described in this subdivision is
                            subject to a fine not to exceed fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                              Hutchens was highly regarded at LASD, and Hillman was likely highly regarded at LAPD. The other three command staff came from OCSD. Hutchens had no need for Walters, because she had plenty of experience commanding Norwalk patrol as well as high-level management.
                              You missed my point (and seems you don't know what process I was talking about). Of course she has no need for Walters, he should be the one in the position she is in. And I never said they weren't highly regraded or great cops.

That's odd. I know one of the former "Level 4" (non-reserve reserves) who is a real reserve elsewhere, and he said that his OC badge looked like a reserve badge to most people. Furthermore, several people Carona appointed as reserves -- including Haidl -- were quite an embarrassment.
                              Again, you have a bit of info but at least do a fact check prior to posting. Haidl was an assistant sheriff, not a reserve. He was in charge of the reserve program though.

Anyway,,,hopefully she does a good job or Hutchens and Hillman will be gone in 18 months anyway.

Re: the PC you quoted. Uhh, the OCSD gave the badges out. They also gave these guys limited authority. Should they have? No. Did they commit a crime? No.
                              Last edited by hbliam; 07-26-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6589 users online. 357 members and 6232 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X