Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD County Police Academies...

post deleted
    Last edited by avalon42; 03-13-2015, 07:15 PM.

About Us
    If you have considered becoming a peace officer, you realize how competitive the process is. Generally, from each one hundred people without experience, who test, only about five are ever hired as peace officers. Many Smaller Agencies do not hire people without prior training or law enforcement experience.
    The Southwestern College Police Academy offers the opportunity to train part-time, so education is gained and you, as a peace office candidate, will qualify as a “lateral entry” candidate with the basic academy certificate. The Southwestern College Police Academy is fully sanctioned by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) California.

check the post site again
    http://www.post.ca.gov/training/academies.asp
    Last edited by MT2658; 07-23-2008, 04:00 AM. Reason: found link

Comment

Originally posted by MT2658 View Post
      About Us
      If you have considered becoming a peace officer, you realize how competitive the process is. Generally, from each one hundred people without experience, who test, only about five are ever hired as peace officers. Many Smaller Agencies do not hire people without prior training or law enforcement experience.
      The Southwestern College Police Academy offers the opportunity to train part-time, so education is gained and you, as a peace office candidate, will qualify as a “lateral entry” candidate with the basic academy certificate. The Southwestern College Police Academy is fully sanctioned by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) California.

check the post site again
      http://www.post.ca.gov/training/academies.asp
      Cool, thanks. I didn't see a map link where SWC should be, I guess I must have missed it last night while looking on the list.

Comment

no worries. i think yur better off letting an agency put you through an academy though. that way you know you are guaranteed a job when you graduate.

Comment

You won't be hired as a lateral if you just have an academy cert. You will be hired as a pre-service applicant. Laterals have a basic POST cert in the least which means they passed probation and FTO.

In addition to Southwest and Palomar, Grossmont College also has a police academy you might want to check out.

That being said, in this area unless you want to work for Coronado, if you are going to get hired, you can get paid to go to the academy at
          miramar. If they won't hire you now, they won't hire you with an academy cert.

Comment

Grossmont is only a level 2, last time i checked. if you want part time, southwestern and palomar are the way to go. i graduated from southwestern in 2006. most of the training staff are from south county agencies while most of palomar's staff are from north county agencies.

they have a new academy training facility. I'm jealous...
            http://www.swccd.edu/4thLevel/index.asp?L3=608

not sure if you want to goto miramar full time unsponsored unless you have money saved up.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyjr View Post
              You won't be hired as a lateral if you just have an academy cert. You will be hired as a pre-service applicant. Laterals have a basic POST cert in the least which means they passed probation and FTO.

In addition to Southwest and Palomar, Grossmont College also has a police academy you might want to check out.

That being said, in this area unless you want to work for Coronado, if you are going to get hired, you can get paid to go to the academy at
              miramar. If they won't hire you now, they won't hire you with an academy cert.
              Thank you. I'll check out Grossmont college.

While I was going through the hiring process with one of the agencies I applied, the BI kept asking me each time I called in if I was an academy graduate. Then, at the oral, I was speaking to another applicant before that interview. He put himself through SWC, then got picked up by SDSO as a Deputy (Detentions/Courts) and has been working there for 5 years. After mulling that over, I didn't feel really bad about how my interview went because I figured they were looking at others with lots of experience. I was just hoping to make myself more marketable and show I am committed to this profession as budgets get tight and the hiring trend starts slowing down.

Comment

SWC is down in Otay Mesa, just minutes from the Border. Unfortunately, I can't make it to class because it starts at 1800. Grossmont looks a little better because they start at 1900 (I'd have to commute from my current day job when I get off at 1700).

I think Grossmont also has Level III. Only SWC has Level I from what I've read. Palomar already started their classes unfortunately.

This is all Plan B if I don't get good with the other agencies I applied for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6101 users online. 349 members and 5752 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X