X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 417Lt
    replied
    Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
    So any word on how the governor's recently announced budget cuts are going to impact DFG Enforcement?
    The executive order that drops most State employees to minimum wage until we have a budget won't apply to enforcement, the hatcheries, or the License and Revenue Branch.
    I suspect that when we do get a budget we will hear the same things we always hear after a long budget process. Then some programs will get hammered and others will never know anything happened. The truth is, there isn't much in Enforcement that can be cut.
    At the rate we are able to hire and train it will take a couple years just to catch up with what will happen in 2009. It's going to be another "Exodus" year.

Leave a comment:

• wildlife97
    replied
    So any word on how the governor's recently announced budget cuts are going to impact DFG Enforcement?

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
    Can anyone be guaranteed cash OT? Of course not. Things change from year to year. But I can say for a fact: Never say never.
    Funny that !!! We have had ALOT of young officers join LAXPD 'cause they heard they could make $100-150K in their first few yrs( well it was TRUE from 1997 to 2004)- well,,"BOO-HOOO" and shame on them - guess they'll have to settle for that "measely $60-70k" they are FORCED to slave under ( all the while getting those 1/2 off In n' Out burgers from people who make min.wage

what happened to being a well trained professional with a CAREER

Leave a comment:

• 417Lt
    replied
    Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
    How many years on does it take to be part of the SOU?
    Getting into SOU can vary, depending on their needs. I'm sure you would have to be off probation, (a year) but an emphasis is placed on ability and a willingness to work under the most adverse conditions imaginable when required. When the positions are to be filled it is usually a competitive process but there may be special skills needed that would take priority.
    They use officers for all kinds of different projects and roles. It may be a few weeks or a year or more. Several officers I know have been in for 10 or more years now.
    Short answer: I lost a warden to SOU a few years ago and she had 3 years on. And, I know of an officer that was hired straight into SOU.

Leave a comment:

• wildlife97
    replied
    If your personal life can stand it, our Special Operations Unit (deep cover) has a spot for the OT fans. I've heard a common strategy is to get cash until your accountant says to stop, rack up comp time until your project is finished, then take the next 6 months off to burn your time banks down.
    Can anyone be guaranteed cash OT? Of course not. Things change from year to year. But I can say for a fact: Never say never.
    How many years on does it take to be part of the SOU?

Leave a comment:

• Retired96
    replied
    If my hunch is correct, your friend (Uncle Dick) is retired in Grand Junction Co. right now.
    Your right, I have known him for almost 30 years. We spent many working hours at San Dimas. I will never forget a 997 when Dick hit a Adam Henry with his gun and cut the dirtbags ear off, nor will I forget the day that he had a punk with a pellet gun and and when he tried to bust the gun it discharged and shot him in the neck.

Your photo of the East Fork brought back many memories of working San Dimas 88 and the zoo in the canyon.

Leave a comment:

• 417Lt
    replied
    Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
    Being that I have always been a outdoors type person, if I could start my career all over I wish I would have been a game warden. I have a good friend that left LASD after 12 years and went to DFG, he took a big pay cut but was much happier as a Warden.
    If my hunch is correct, your friend (Uncle Dick) is retired in Grand Junction Co. right now.

Leave a comment:

• 417Lt
    replied
    Originally Posted by wildlife97
    I heard that they dont get any OT, or has that since changed?
    Originally posted by GB0610
    Very little. But you will work a TON of OT. It will just be billed as COMP time. So you'll work a ton, then have a fair amount of time off.
    Our OT situation varies from year to year. After the State budget is settled the Department will look at what they got and decide who gets what. Last year we did pretty good. Here's a couple other things to consider: Many things we do are funded from outside sources that can be cash OT regardless of the Department's general overtime budget. We have an entire unit that works oil pollution and prevention and they are funded by the oil business. Believe me- They have OT.
    Last year we started being proactive about preventing the spread of the invasive Quagga Mussel. This duty came with special funding and there was a lot of OT available. Recently, at the end of the fiscal year, I had to call the local assistant chief and tell him how many QM hours my squad (LA County) would not be able to use so he could re-distribute them. We worked all we could.
    If your personal life can stand it, our Special Operations Unit (deep cover) has a spot for the OT fans. I've heard a common strategy is to get cash until your accountant says to stop, rack up comp time until your project is finished, then take the next 6 months off to burn your time banks down.

Leave a comment:

• Retired96
    replied
    Being that I have always been a outdoors type person, if I could start my career all over I wish I would have been a game warden. I have a good friend that left LASD after 12 years and went to DFG, he took a big pay cut but was much happier as a Warden.

Leave a comment:

• wildlife97
    replied
    Originally posted by sgttom View Post
    DFG is a very interesting agency. yes, low pay but lots of OT,
    I heard that they dont get any OT, or has that since changed?

Leave a comment:

• Showboat
    replied
    Hi all, joined the forum a long time ago to do some research and now actively searching to get on a department after I get my degree in May. Completely off topic but I wanted to say 417 and DOA, nice to know you're part of the neighborhood

Leave a comment:

• 417Lt
    replied
    If we ever have a booth at a local recruiting fair I'll hire you for the day DOAcop38. Thanks for the unsolicited testamonial.
    I'm probably not to far from you. N on SFCR from Copperhill, 18 miles to the stop sign.

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    Most of what was said above was very accurate and I couldn't add much to it. As far as the money thing goes, it's not as bad as everyone portrays and like any job it gets better with time. What the brochures and the internet posters might not say is that there are several little perks that really add up. $350/month if you live in a high cost-of-living county, $100/month educational incentive, longevity incentives based on time-on, and hey: that taking your truck home thing is becoming a factor worth considering. Most cops wear out a car every 4 - 5 years tops, not to mention the $1000's in gas.
    Another thing that is hard for most to grasp is the freedom a game warden can have. In most positions your schedule is very flexible, allowing you to take care of life's little necessities without it being a real big deal. Ask your cop friends what would happen if they said, "Hey Sarge- I gotta mow the lawn. Can I be a couple hours late today? Oh yeah- My wife needs to drop her car off at the shop this morning too so it might be noon before I can start"..... You get the picture: No roll call, no briefing.
    Right now the DFG is accepting app's, and they now take laterals that only have to do a short DFG-specific academy.
    I figured I should chime in here. My sreeen name consists of my CDFG badge # and my rank.

+ !! while people are griping about pay-which is a serious thing to factor in, I don't know of any Ca. DFG wardens starving! "get in where you fit in", is what I say- pay may be low to start, but I look at it like this- if you can make $50K+ to $70K a yr in THIS economy and are doing the job you like, you are winning! DFG wardens work in a "specialized L.E.",and there are always politics involved.They have high hiring standards and a unique work environment. AND they are "cops"-period. people laugh about the fact that they do wildlife and resource mgm't L.E. until you consider the high cost of damages and criminal behavior surrounding people who literally rape our states natural resources ! DFG wardens were in full effect last weekend when I was fishing on a charter boat in the southbay- in addition to those "fishing license fines and cites", there are fools who go to jail regularly found in possession of narcotics,guns and felony warrants.some times doing basic street patrol work isn't the niche for everyone, but being that this is CA- everyone- from Park Rangers to LAPD,to even local college cops , are going to hit peoples front doors and be in pursuit of felons sooner or later. IF DFG has openings and will hire you - go for it; you can make a career of it,or like any other CA.peace officer, later go to the depts you think offer more.......

Leave a comment:

• 417Lt
    replied
    Most of what was said above was very accurate and I couldn't add much to it. As far as the money thing goes, it's not as bad as everyone portrays and like any job it gets better with time. What the brochures and the internet posters might not say is that there are several little perks that really add up. $350/month if you live in a high cost-of-living county, $100/month educational incentive, longevity incentives based on time-on, and hey: that taking your truck home thing is becoming a factor worth considering. Most cops wear out a car every 4 - 5 years tops, not to mention the $1000's in gas.
    Another thing that is hard for most to grasp is the freedom a game warden can have. In most positions your schedule is very flexible, allowing you to take care of life's little necessities without it being a real big deal. Ask your cop friends what would happen if they said, "Hey Sarge- I gotta mow the lawn. Can I be a couple hours late today? Oh yeah- My wife needs to drop her car off at the shop this morning too so it might be noon before I can start"..... You get the picture: No roll call, no briefing.
    Right now the DFG is accepting app's, and they now take laterals that only have to do a short DFG-specific academy.
    I figured I should chime in here. My screen name consists of my CDFG badge # and my rank.
    Last edited by 417Lt; 07-22-2008, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sgttom
    replied
    DFG is a very interesting agency. yes, low pay but lots of OT, state vehicle, work out of your home with state equipment, etc.

if you want information, PM or email me. I will put you in contact with a recruiter OR association representative for the DFG.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5425 users online. 332 members and 5093 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X