300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdcr training to POST cert

I am in the BI stage with the CDCR; I am also considering a career with LE. The question is after I complete my training with the CDCR is there just a few more classes I can take to receive a POST cert., or do I need to attend a full academy. Thanks

Also I love this site I wish I found it a long time ago.

For starters to be in CDCR means you are in LE. 2nd you HAVE to be POST certified to graduated the CDCR academy prior to you getting sworned in which = Peace Officer status in California.

You become POST certified at the academy.
    sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

Thanks JRODF4
      The reason for the question is I would like to work as a reserve Police Officer for a local agency of mine and one of the requirements is a POST cert. I was unsure of the differences of the training I will receive as a Correctional officer vs. a Police academy. Thanks for the info

Comment

If your talking about lateraling over from CDCR to P.D. or Sheriffs dept, it won't. You will have to go to the academy again.
        Border Patrol Process

Written Test---4/21 (101 testers-23 passed)
        Medical--------5/19
        Oral Board------5/19
        Physical Agility--5/19
        Credit Report Pulled---6/06
        Random Drug Test-----6/13
        B.I. Started Field Interviewing---6/24
        Employment Qualifications Cleared For G-5 6/26
        Meet With B.I. From The D.H.S.-------7/7

http://<span style="font-size:12px">...rst.com</span>

Comment

That is what I thought. I was looking to work full time as A CO and A few days A month as a reserve Officer.

Comment

The academy for CDCR is for correctional officers. For a PD or SO job(patrol) you'll need to complete a POST Basic Academy, there are 30+ of them in CA.

Some folks put themselves through and others have a dept sponsor them (hired & sent thru). It can be done f/t 5 days a week in 5 months, or p/t evenings & Saturdays = about a year.
            You are not full POST certified until you pass a dept's probationary period of not less than 12 months. You will receive a POST certificate of completion however upon graduation from the academy, which is enough to get hired.

Comment

So after I complete the academy and have a year on the job as a CO I will have a POST cert. It will not be the same POST cert I will need to work the streets. Correct? I was online and in Sacramento they have a POST academy I can put myself through in 10 months, 3 nights a week. I guess I was hoping there was just a class or 2 take to complete patrol training.

Comment

Originally posted by baicon View Post
                So after I complete the academy and have a year on the job as a CO I will have a POST cert. It will not be the same POST cert I will need to work the streets. Correct? I was online and in Sacramento they have a POST academy I can put myself through in 10 months, 3 nights a week. I guess I was hoping there was just a class or 2 take to complete patrol training.
                Plainclothes is correct. The training for CDCR is NOT the same as the training you will receive at one of the many academies for a police or sheriff's department to obtain basic POST mandated training. Two totally different academies. There is no 'cross over' training that i'm aware of for CDCR folks who want to become police officers. They basically have to attend a full academy should they choose to become a police officer. And as plainclothes mentioned there IS a difference between being academy trained and POST certified.

Also, if you want to be a reserve police officer, there are three different levels (I, II, and III), each with varying hours of training and authority. The California POST website should be able to fill you in with some good Q&A's on the different levels of reserve officer training and such.

Inside CDCR there are other opportunities beyond being a C/O. A friend of mine is a parole agent (under CDCR) and has a great job and makes $$$$.
                Last edited by SoCalFed; 07-22-2008, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, parole agent is really where I want to be I have just heard it will take a long time to get there. I thought I would get some time on the streets as a Reserve officer to get some street training while I wait for a parole agent open test.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4228 users online. 212 members and 4016 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X