300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Modesto PD here?

I'm on the eligible list (passed physical/POST written and oral) for Law Enforcement Academy Recruit. The day I took my oral board they announced the hiring freeze but said we could get a score and get on the list anyway.

My question to anyone MPD or familiar with that department is weather or not they are going to open up hiring any time soon, or if the freeze looks to be on for a while. Any input appreciated, thanks!

I started my LE career with Modesto PD and am looking to possibly return.

I am also on the eligibility list, so I emailed personnel and was told they have ONE position open. I was also told the department makes the selection, but I don't know anything about the process.
    Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

I take it you'd be going in for a lateral position? I'm trying to get on as an academy recruit, which, with budget issues, I'm guessing is going to be further off. I too e-mailed personnel with my question but the response I got seemed like a standard, form response that didn't really have any good info.

Best of luck to you, hopefully we'll meet on the job sometime!

Comment

I'm kind of in a weird spot. Some consider me a lateral, some don't. I was academy trained in CA, but then left the state before getting the Basic POST certificate.

I was disappointed when I found out how many spots they had open. On the day I took my oral board, I think they had three running at the same time. Seems like a big waste of time for everyone for one spot.

I would think things would be getting straightened out soon, since most cities seem to run their fiscal year from July to July. Maybe they will have more spots coming open soon from retirements and the like.

There are some other options you might consider, since you don't have the academy.

BART PD and Oakland PD both take entry-level and always seems to have positions open. I heard Oakland is under court order to hire 100 by January. I'm not sure what the commute would be like from Modesto.

Also, San Joaquin Delta College in Stockton used to have an extended academy. I think it meets three nights a week and maybe Saturdays. It lasts just short of a year, but is designed for people who have to work.
        Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Right now I'm between jobs, got laid off from my last due to housing slowdown affecting my industry (I was running a fleet for commercial landscaping). I am applying and interviewing for other mechanic jobs, and police recruit jobs, so if I get a mechanic job then I'll be looking into attending academy on my own dime and time. I'm in for recruit jobs at West Sacramento, Modesto, Santa Barbera, and Alameda County currently.

Comment

If your looking to get on with Modesto PD, and your willing to go on your own dime their academy in Modesto would be a pretty good bet since alot of their staff are instructors at the academy there. Also San Joaquin County S/O and Stanislaus S/O are constantly hiring and sending people to that academy as well. You might want to go look into that. Last I heard Modesto PD is more willing to sign up laterals but might be opening up the trainee position pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by California6400 View Post
              If your looking to get on with Modesto PD, and your willing to go on your own dime their academy in Modesto would be a pretty good bet since alot of their staff are instructors at the academy there. Also San Joaquin County S/O and Stanislaus S/O are constantly hiring and sending people to that academy as well. You might want to go look into that. Last I heard Modesto PD is more willing to sign up laterals but might be opening up the trainee position pretty soon.
              I've had an app in with San Joaquin SO since March, but haven't heard a thing. I emailed a sergeant awhile back and he told me hiring for academy grad positions was closed, but it showed up on their web site as "continuous".

Any idea what's going on, California6400?

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by barkalot View Post
                I've had an app in with San Joaquin SO since March, but haven't heard a thing. I emailed a sergeant awhile back and he told me hiring for academy grad positions was closed, but it showed up on their web site as "continuous".

Any idea what's going on, California6400?
                barkalot,

Just reapply, they are hiring every six to eight weeks

Comment

Originally posted by frenchcamp49er View Post
                  barkalot,

Just reapply, they are hiring every six to eight weeks
                  I re-applied and then called human resources. They are not sure what happened with the first application back in March.

I guess the current recruitment closes August 1, which I don't understand since the website says "continuous".

Anyway, they are suppose to test two weeks after the closing date.

Thanks for the heads up, frenchcamp49er!

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Well, Modesto PD is definitely in a hiring freeze with an unknown end. Apparently even the one position personnel told me about won't even be filled.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Are you looking to get on as a academy trainee ? or as academy certified ? Either way we (SJSO), are hiring like crazy! I know for academy trainees the date just closed but should open up again in another month or so. But if ur already academy certified just put an app in again and the sgt in charge of our hiring will send you more info about it. Like FrenchCamp49er said. We are constantly hiring right now.
                      It shows as the position being "continuious" because once they get enough applicants then they start the hiring process. They need to make srue that they have enough b/c the truth is the majority will not get hired due to background issues or other issues that arise. So just make sure you get that app in and go from there. Shouldnt be too long before they get a hold of you. Good Luck !!

Comment

Are you looking to get on as a academy trainee ? or as academy certified ? Either way we (SJSO), are hiring like crazy! I know for academy trainees the date just closed but should open up again in another month or so. But if ur already academy certified just put an app in again and the sgt in charge of our hiring will send you more info about it. Like FrenchCamp49er said. We are constantly hiring right now.
                        It shows as the position being "continuious" because once they get enough applicants then they start the hiring process. They need to make srue that they have enough b/c the truth is the majority will not get hired due to background issues or other issues that arise. So just make sure you get that app in and go from there. Shouldnt be too long before they get a hold of you. Good Luck !!
                        I'm not sure where I fit now. I am academy trained (1992), but left the state and continued in LE. I came back to CA and started working again because POST apparently said I could. Now, they are saying I need to re-cert, which I guess is a three-week course. being unemployed I don't have the money for that.

So, am I still academy certified? Am I entry-level? Am I a lateral? Who really knows.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

I would say that you would have to recert. I didnt know that there was a 3 week course? But like i said in my earlier post. Check out San Joaquin S/O They will pay to go to the academy again once ur hired. Decent pay. Up to you tho. Just for info ! Good Luck !

Comment

I would say that you would have to recert. I didnt know that there was a 3 week course? But like i said in my earlier post. Check out San Joaquin S/O They will pay to go to the academy again once ur hired. Decent pay. Up to you tho. Just for info ! Good Luck !
                            Yeah, I just found out that I have to attend the 136-hour re-qualification course. It's given by several junior colleges throughout the state. The drawback is once you have taken this course, you have three years to gain qualifying employment. If you don't, you have to attend the entire academy again.

I have spoken to someone who took the course and it's apparently very easy; just typical POST instruction with some firearms and defensive tactics thrown into the mix.

I have to re-qualify because I left the state WITHOUT a Basic (not to be confused with the Basic Course) and was gone three years.

I have an application in with SJSO. Personnel isn't sure what happened with my prior application. They will test after August 1.

By the way, why is SJSO able to hire so many? Retirements? Growth?

The Dude, I forgot to mention, I talked to someone at Modesto PD and although they are technically in a hiring freeze, they have hired a couple people and are going through all the steps to hire more so they are ready when the freeze is lifted. If it's not too personal, how high did you score on the oral?
                            Last edited by barkalot; 07-25-2008, 10:30 AM.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

I scored a 94.33. I'm going up to West Sacramento for a written exam today, wish me luck. If something doesn't shake loose soon with Modesto, I'll have to go through the process again because my year on the list will be up in a few mos.

I have a buddy who was on MPD, recently lateraled to Stockton, says they are actively recruiting and have a very intensive training program. Stockton just ain't my bag though. SJSO sounds good, I think I'll apply there too just for s&g.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9679 users online. 451 members and 9228 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X