Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manhattan Beach CA...

Hello there,

Is anyone out there familair with the area of Manhattan Beach CA? Might be traveling there in the near future and was looking for hotel suggestions or places to totally avoid. Any help is appreciated since I am from the east coast and have NEVER been in CA.

Thank you!

I lived there for 10 years. Generally speaking there are no bad neighborhoods, but I never paid much attention to the hotels.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Well thats a good start. thanks!

Comment

I was hoping for something along the lines of something moderate like a Days Inn or something like that. (Not a No-Tell Motel) LOL
        So something decent and somewhat affordable. thnx

Comment

Oh great they both are decent hotels. Thanks a LOT!!! Its a big help.

Comment

I probably should have given you more.

The Marriott is probably the swankiest but runs around $269 per night. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...each-marriott/ There are several very nice restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel along Rosecrans Boulevard, and a country club behind the hotel. You are about a mile from the beach. There is a Bristol Farms market next door. It has lots of exotic food but it is so over-priced that we call it the "Buck a bite store."

The Sea View Inn is the only one near the beach (two blocks). http://www.seaview-inn.com/hotel.htm They run around $130 and up per night. It is more of a motel than a hotel. Because it is the beach and competition for space is tight, the place is configured strangely (you park on the first floor and living areas are on the second floor). There are lots of small restaurants and bars in the neighborhood. I am partial to the Sea View because I used to live four blocks south of it.

Probably the cheapest you are going to find is a Holiday Inn Express for around $116 per night plus tax on Sepulveda Boulevard.

The vast majority of hotels are located along Sepulveda Boulevard, aka Pacific Coast Highway. Don't let the name fool you, its a mile from the coast. It is the main thoroughfare through town. There are lots of restaurants along Sepulveda, but the main nightlife is in the area of Manhattan Avenue and Manhattan Beach Boulevard, and the secondary nightlife is around Rosecrans and Highland (near the Sea View Inn).

The next town to the south is Hermosa Beach, which is considered to be a little less civilized than Manhattan, so the rates may be cheaper. The area of Pier Avenue next to the beach is known for its rowdy night life (and constant police presence). Hermosa is most famous for its 4th of July Ironman Triathlon, in which hundreds of people run a mile in the sand, paddle a mile on a surfboard, and then try to down a 6-pack of beer. The last one to throw up is the winner.

Welcome to California.

PM me if you want more.

Comment

Wow you should be the official tour guide. You don't get info like that in the AAA book! Thanks!

Comment

I still own my house there (its now a rental). I'm up in Manhattan every few weeks on business so I try to keep tabs on things.

Comment

How far is LA from Manhattan Beach? Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
                    Oh great they both are decent hotels. Thanks a LOT!!! Its a big help.
                    LOLOLOLOL!! don't expect anything CHEAP near or in the south Bay- when you come thru LAX there'll be a visitor info guide kiosk that will give you ideas,or you can check via Orbits or other online travel sources for combo flight and hotel pkgs. I'd suggest staying in Torrance which just 2+miles south ( plenty of hotels in torrance ) food,bars,places to hang out are plentiful in the Southbay.....
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Baysidegal View Post
                      How far is LA from Manhattan Beach? Thnx
                      its all considered the "L.A. Metropolitan area"( unless you live and are from the south bay) ! the only way you'll "know" you aren't in Los angeles city boundaries :

1) People are smiling and more laid back ( compared to the stressed but "laid back" behavior of L.A. residents)

2) chances of seeing a violent crime DROP as you go less than a mile from L.A

3) the local police officers(HBPD,El Seg PD,MPD,RPD,TPD) waive at you with all "fingers",smile routinely,and aren't running code 3 every other minute....

4) they don't allow bananna/fruit "merchants" and taco trucks to park on the public streets and sidewalks, nor crackheads to stand and block the sidewalks

but seriously, L.A. encompasses 469 sq miles of L.A. county and you can drive all day in L.A. BEFORE leaving it-drive north along Sepulveda blvd- the main drag into and out of LAX barely 2 miles and you'll be back in Los Angeles ( the Westchester/Playa del rey district)
                      DOAcop38
                      South central escapee...
                      Last edited by DOAcop38; 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM.
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                        LOLOLOLOL!! don't expect anything CHEAP near or in the south Bay- when you come thru LAX there'll be a visitor info guide kiosk that will give you ideas,or you can check via Orbits or other online travel sources for combo flight and hotel pkgs. I'd suggest staying in Torrance which just 2+miles south ( plenty of hotels in torrance ) food,bars,places to hang out are plentiful in the Southbay.....
                        Well I never said CHEAP I said decent and affordable. I don't want to stay in a fly by night hotel filled with hookers and crack addicts but I don't want to pay $400 a night either if you catch my drift.

I am asking about LA because that is probably where we will have to land and travel from as you pointed out. I wanted to make arrangements PRIOR to going so I will have an idea of where I will stay ahead of time instead of driving around for hours trying to find somewhere in a strange city.

They really have taco and fruit trucks? Wow I will feel like an alien!

Thanks~

Comment

Wish I could afford a house in MB L-1. Jokes aside Manhattan Beach is a great area with homes that don't see below 1 mill, even in a bad economy..lol I worked there for 3 years and don't have any bad things to say about the area. It's a beautiful place and I miss parking at the El Porto Beach Parking Lot and watching the sunset. Just make sure you're staying in MB, not Hawthorne which is east of Aviation Bl and you'll be fine.
                          LASD
                          We do the best for less with less....

Comment

Thanks for the tip!!!

Comment

L-1 is doing Hermosa a diservice, its a great town and the strand is one of the most interesting beach areas on LA. Its the classic hot blond in thong on rollerskate kind of place. By comparison its neighbor to the north is nice but quite boring.

While staying there you MUST check out the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa beach. Best comedy club in all of LA, way better than the ones in Hollywood. All the big names play there and most of the time huge names will drop in unannounced to work on their acts. The last time I went they dropped in Ray Ramono who was rehearsing his Vegas act that sold out at $75.00 a seat two weaks later. Jay Leno is there every Sunday night and insists all the acts that will be on his show drop in at the C&MC, the day prior to being on his show.

I stayed in Hermosa in a very Nice Hotel I loved it, it was called the Surf and sand. A little pricey tho', like $250.00.
                              Originally posted by FJDave
                              GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                              "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4601 users online. 304 members and 4297 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X