300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits/ Contributions SDPD/ SO

I posted under 'ask a cop' but so far got no response, so I figured I'd try here too:

OK, after searching posts, I have a few questions for San Diego cops/ deputies.

- Does SDPD/SO have a line of duty injury retirement? Here in NY if you are injured in performance of duty to the extent you will be unable to perform police work again, you will receive a 3/4 pension (75% salary of your last year).

- I read that members of SDPD contribute 13% of salary into retirement. How much does the city contribute? is this 13% fixed on your pay rate before overtime, or is it 13% of your gross pay per check?

- Do SDSO members contribute to their retirement? How much does the county contribute?

- Health benefits of PD/SO: I realize this will vary according to your family situation, but lets say, how much does a single guy contribute per check. How much does a guy with a family of 4 contribute per check?

- For the 3 at 50, is there a min. number of years that must be worked, or does it simply apply when you reach 50 regardless of whether you worked 15 or 30 years?

I realize this is a lot of tedious questions, but if anyone knows the answer to any or all of them, I would greatly appreciate the responses. I am a NY cop who is trying to crunch the numbers to see what I would be looking at in terms of $$. The NYPD does not have the best pay, but the retirement seems better than SDPD. However, retirement/ pay is not my only consideration.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Looks like no response either....

Comment

Everyone's at Baker to Vegas....give it a day or 2.

Comment

I am neither SDPD or SDSO, but I can answer some general questions about California retirements.

Most cities are under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). Counties are usually under the 1937 County Retirement act or CalPERS.

Disability retirements under both programs are usually at 50% of your highest single year's salary, tax free, if you are under the minimum retirement age. If you are at, or over the minimum retirement age, then you get whatever you would qualify for under your regular retirement at that time, or 50% of your single highest year, whichever is greater. An amount equal to 50% of your single highest year will be tax free. I don't know what SDSO's minimum retirement age is. (Please note, a handfull of agencies still work on the highest three year average instead of the single highest year, so double check before you commit.)

Retirement is based on your fixed salary and rarely includes overtime, so your contributions and your pension will be based on your salary. There are some exceptions so you will need to check your union contract. For example, my agency pays its officers 1/2 hour OT per day for lunch, which does count as part of their salary for the purposes of their pension. But if they work a day off as OT, it doesn't count towards their pension.

Under CalPERS 3% @ 50, you must have at least five years of service to qualify for a service retirement. There is no minimum length of service for a disability retirement. I don't know about county pensions in this respect.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

FOR SDPD:

Originally posted by jt32485 View Post

- Does SDPD/SO have a line of duty injury retirement? Here in NY if you are injured in performance of duty to the extent you will be unable to perform police work again, you will receive a 3/4 pension (75% salary of your last year).
          Yes as stated its 50%, tax free for life. We have a lot of people that seem to be on "permanent" light duty assignments though.

- I read that members of SDPD contribute 13% of salary into retirement. How much does the city contribute? is this 13% fixed on your pay rate before overtime, or is it 13% of your gross pay per check?
          It's -around- 13% of your base pay, not including OT, or specialty pays... as those don't count towards retirement. So not matter how much OT you work, the retirement contribution is the same.

- Do SDSO members contribute to their retirement? How much does the county contribute?
          Yes, I know its less than SDPD, but still more than most agencies. I'll defer that to one of the SO people here.

- Health benefits of PD/SO: I realize this will vary according to your family situation, but lets say, how much does a single guy contribute per check. How much does a guy with a family of 4 contribute per check?
          I'm one of the single guys at PD, I contribute nothing. I will probably get some money back with the new contract. I'm not sure about a family of 4, I think its 85% pickup, you would have to read the contract, with I believe is on the city website.

- For the 3 at 50, is there a min. number of years that must be worked, or does it simply apply when you reach 50 regardless of whether you worked 15 or 30 years?
          For the City of San Diego it's 10 years to get 3% and retire at 55. You have to do 20 years to retire at 50 and get 3%. You still only get 3% for each year any way you work it though.

I realize this is a lot of tedious questions, but if anyone knows the answer to any or all of them, I would greatly appreciate the responses. I am a NY cop who is trying to crunch the numbers to see what I would be looking at in terms of $$. The NYPD does not have the best pay, but the retirement seems better than SDPD. However, retirement/ pay is not my only consideration.

3 at 50 is one of the best deals out there. I've read what the other states have on this board, and the only places that have it better are some TX and FL agencies which have something that almost equates to 3.5% a year (Austin, Tampa, Orlando).

One thing to consider, if you like sick time {I think NYPD gets unlimited}... we don't sick time in SD at all. We get three weeks (to start) of annual leave... you use it for vacation ad sick leave....

That being said, I love it here. But don't come for the money.

Comment

L1 and Nobodyjr, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

One more for ya:

L1 you stated that: "Retirement is based on your fixed salary and rarely includes overtime, so your contributions and your pension will be based on your salary."

Here in NY, pensions are generally based off of your best year or average of best 3 years, including overtime, with some restrictions at 20 years of service. So we get a lot of guys really hitting it hard on OT the last 3 or so years, enabling them to have a good pension. Does anyone know if SDPD or SDSO bases your pension numbers off of salary to include overtime, or is it salary before OT?

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Ive never heard of any retirement system in CA that includes overtime. Its pre-overtime. At SDPD it's your highest one year base salary. Basically if you do 30 years, you will make in retirement, what you made working.

Comment

As L-1 stated in CA medical retirement before your retirement age is 50%. Your retirement is based off of either your highest year base salary or an average of 3 years depending on who you work for. Some things are calculated into your retirement such as specialty pay, hazardous duty pay, etc....but not OT. Most of the smaller agencies use CalPers and the cities pick up the full cost so nothing taken out of your check.

Comment

http://sdblue.net/
                  http://sdpoa.org/default.aspx

Comment

Do SDSO members contribute to their retirement? How much does the county contribute?
                    Yes, it depends on your age at the time you are employed. The County participates in the 1937 Retirement Act System. The County pays all or a portion of the employee's contribution to the
                    County Employees Retirement System. See the below links to determine what you would pay

http://www.sdcera.org/PDF/employer_p...fset_chart.pdf
                    http://www.sdcera.org/PDF/contribution_rates_safety.pdf

Health benefits of SO: I realize this will vary according to your family situation, but lets say, how much does a single guy contribute per check. How much does a guy with a family of 4 contribute per check?
                    See this link http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/hr/employ...OGRAM_SHRF.pdf
                    Play like a champion, today!

Member of Team Green

Comment

Here is an actual SDSO, family of 6 (wife +4 kids) break down bi-weekly:

Top step Deputy Sheriff, Advanced POST + 5% premium:
                      Gross pay = 3388
                      Net pay = 2383 (after deductions and taxes)

Employer retirement contribution: +292
                      Employee retirement contribution: -44 (only 1.3% of gross pay!)

Health plan: +312 employer flex credit -546 employee paid medical insurance = total out of pocket $234

Dental plan: Additional -18.40

AD&D insurance: -3.60 (optional)

DSA membership: -64.79

Deferred Comp (like 401k savings plan): -100 (optional)
                      Last edited by jato; 04-22-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Now, say, if someone has 19 years on a department with Advanced POST (hypothetically) and laterals to SDSD, what step would they go in at, approximately?

Comment

Thanks for the outstanding info you guys provided. If I ever make it out there, I owe you all a beer!

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                            Now, say, if someone has 19 years on a department with Advanced POST (hypothetically) and laterals to SDSD, what step would they go in at, approximately?
                            http://www.joinsdsheriff.net/paychart_lateral.html
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet....thanks Willow! Maybe I'll....er....MY FRIEND will be talking to ya on the radio one day

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10730 users online. 477 members and 10253 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X