300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraud Investigator I, California Department of Insurance

I was wondering if anyone had any inside information on this entry level position?

I am basically looking for information regarding a typical day.

What was testing like and what type of training you might receive.

Is it a tough position to get hired for or is there a high turnover?

I read that the position is armed and that you are in fact a peace officer with arrest powers.

Thank you in advance for any replies to this post.

A lot of folks that I used to work with went over to them. Their main focus is on major fraud rings - people, doctors and attorneys that create fake accidents to bilk other people's auto insurance or who create voluminous fraudulent workers comp cases. Because they are a relatively small operation (just a couple of hundred investigators statewide) and they don't want their faces to be well known among the crooks, it is not unusual for their raids to be conducted in uniform raid jackets/vests but with ski masks on.

The pay is fairly decent. You get a take home car, state paid cell phone & pager and there is tons of OT, but a lot of that OT is spent reviewing seized documents for evidence of fraudulent billing. When you retire from there, a well paying second job is usually waiting for you in the fraud unit of a private insurance company.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Oddball questions of the day

Do they have/need cars with emergency lights for vehicle stops?

What academy training do they get: Basic POST, SIBC POST, PC832?
      Focused Recruit

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post

Yes, they get cars with lights and sirens and they are peace officers so basic post.

Comment

The state investigative agencies like Insurance, DMV, ABC, and others send entry level people to the Specialized Investigator Basic Course, not to a standard academy.

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/investigator.asp

The POST certificate you get when you clear probation is a specialized certificate. If you want to lateral to a police or sheriff's office you have to go through a full academy.
          If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

DOI use's both Basic post and SIBC Post. Its hard to get hired off the streets, much easier to get hired one with another state agency and then transfer over.

Comment

DOI and ABC are starting to send their recruits to a regular basic academy as of this year.
              Last edited by Mikeyg76; 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post

Yes, they get unmarked, code three equipped cars. But given their specialized, investigative mission, you are not going to be out there doing traffic enforcement and you will rarely be in a situation where you need to use your emergency equipment.

Most of the people DOI hires have prior police experience, have already attended a full academy and don't need to go again. In addition, most officers from other agencies that DOI interacts with have also attended a full academy. With this in mind, my best guess is that if you are hired and have no prior experience, you will go to a full academy, if only so you will possess the same level of training as the people you work with on a daily basis. (If you can't keep up with your peers, you won't make probation.)

I believe the investigative agencies that are more administrative in nature (Food & Agriculture, Housing, Consumer Affairs, Labor Standards, Health, Corporations, State Controller, etc.) lean more towards the shorter, Specialized Academy.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you are completely new to State service no matter how much LE experience you have you must first take the written examination.

In order to qualify for the examination you must have a 4 year degree in Criminal Justice or 2 years prior law enforcement experience. The Criminal Justice degree requirement is in the process of being changed to ANY 4 year degree, but it has not been finalized as of yet.

I don't think it is that difficult to get hired straight out of college as I know of at least 2 if not more people in every Regional Office (CDI has 9 throughout the State) that were hired without any prior law enforcement experience. If you rank high on the written examination and do well on your Oral Board, and if the Chief takes a liking to you then I think you would have a good a chance as any at getting picked up.

And yes, most Regional Offices are sending their recruits through the Regular POST Academies as opposed to the SIBC.
                  Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

Just wondering, full background? Including psych, poly and medical?
                    sigpicLittering and? Littering and? Littering and? Littering and Smoking the Reefer.

Comment

Thank you for the great info/posts.

Comment

I had two DOI people in my POST academy. After our POST academy they had to go to their own internal academy where they focused more on specific job training. Since then, one of them was let go during probation and the other one really enjoys the job.

It seems like it would be a cool job if you don't mind the paperwork and the "white collar crime" attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVega$ View Post
                          The Criminal Justice degree requirement is in the process of being changed to ANY 4 year degree, but it has not been finalized as of yet.

I don't think it is that difficult to get hired straight out of college as I know of at least 2 if not more people in every Regional Office (CDI has 9 throughout the State) that were hired without any prior law enforcement experience. If you rank high on the written examination and do well on your Oral Board, and if the Chief takes a liking to you then I think you would have a good a chance as any at getting picked up.

And yes, most Regional Offices are sending their recruits through the Regular POST Academies as opposed to the SIBC.
                          Thank You, Sir! This is good to know. The requirement of a Criminal Justice degree is what kept me from applying to state agencies in the first place. And I never thought about sending an app anyway as I figured they'd kick it back once they saw my degree is in another field. I'll keep my eyes open now...
                          Focused Recruit

Comment

Originally posted by MrHarm View Post
                            Just wondering, full background? Including psych, poly and medical?
                            Yes a full background will be done. Everything minus the poly, but i know ABC is in the process of adding the poly to their REQ, i am not sure about DOI.

Comment

Here are some of the benefits that are afforded to the Investigators that might not be listed on the job announcement with the CDI (not all inclusive, I may be missing some):
                              • M-F, 8-5 schedule, no shift work
                              • Alternative Work Schedule available (9/8/80, 4/10)
                              • Take home undercover code 3 equipped vehicle.
                              • Brand new recruits are sponsored through Basic POST Academy
                              • Safety Retirement (3% @ 50)
                              • Plain clothes assignment
                              • Opportunities to work on a variety of Task Forces (Organized Insurance Fraud, Auto Theft Task Forces, High-Tech Task Forces)
                              • Opportunities for additional Specialized Duties (Range, Def. Tactics, Computer Forensics, Evidence Custodian, FTO)
                              • Assigned laptop computer
                              • Field work encouraged (i.e, it is expected that a majority of work is done outside the office)
                              • Vertical Prosecution: Designated Prosecutors assigned just to handle our cases from beginning to end.

If I come up with anything more, I'll post.

Although the majority of cases could indeed be classified as "white collar" we do encounter the occasional career criminal, tweakers, as well as gang banger types. Insurance fraud is a crime that encompasses all classes, races, etc. Also we probably serve more search warrants than any State Agency in California so there are plenty of chances to go out and "play".
                              Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2786 users online. 181 members and 2605 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X