300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice after being DQ'd

I just found out that I was dq'd from LASD because of the following in my background:

In October 2007 I got a speeding ticket. This was my third, the other two speeding tickets were in 2004. These are my only traffic/driving issues.

Last year I sold some toner cartridges I had at my home office on ebay, but they belonged to my company. I was on an ebay frenzy and they had been collecting dust for over a year. I since replaced them and my employer never knew it happened.

I was dq'd from the City of Orange as well and I figure it was also for these issues.

Do I have a chance at any LE agency or am I going to have to wait a couple years? I am considering applying at LAPD, RSD and SDSD but wanted to get some advice from some LEOs first.

Thank you.

(3) speeding tickets since '04? I'm honestly not knocking you but you'd think an aspiring cop would learn to slow it down a little, no?

Though it was only toner cartridges, the collecting dust argument doesn't justify stealing property from your employer.

I'll defer to the CA guys with advice....
    Last edited by BrickCop; 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

If being an LEO is your dream, don't give up.

Personally, I think you should wait a couple of years since your theft occurred just last year.
      There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

Comment

They look for a pattern of bad decision making. 3 speeding tickets and embezzlements (theft from work) in the last 3 or so years looks pretty bad to me.

It does not hurt to keep applying, but if they keep DQing you, I'd give it a year or two with a spotless record before they picked you up.

Comment

Originally posted by HckyBez33 View Post
          Last year I sold some toner cartridges I had at my home office on ebay, but they belonged to my company. I was on an ebay frenzy and they had been collecting dust for over a year. I since replaced them and my employer never knew it happened.
          The fact that you later replaced them is irrelevant. Here in California, what you did is classified as embezzlement and it speaks poorly of your character and integrity. Whether or not it was a felony depends on the value of the cartridges (and not how much you got for them on eBay). Assuming the value was not enough to meet felony criteria, you may have a chance down the road but you are going to have to put several years of sterling behavior between this incident and your next background.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

LASD, has strict guidelines on theft. I had a friend who was dq'd because he stole some pencils from his last employer. He then tested with LAPD and was just cleared for hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Don951 View Post
              LASD, has strict guidelines on theft. I had a friend who was dq'd because he stole some pencils from his last employer. He then tested with LAPD and was just cleared for hire.
              LASD does not want to risk a "Rafael Perez" type incident...who can blame them?
              "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                You're kidding, right? We could ALL have gotten 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 days i'm sure, let alone 4 years. Its all about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
                Eh, maybe you're right but I never got three movers in my life. I was just speculating that he had a lead foot in general and had only been bagged three times.

Point taken.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Value of the toner after tax was $350. I believe felony is $400+ but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your responses. Actually I was recently laid off from my employer because I work for a real estate investor that has not been making money and since I told him that I was starting the process to get an LE job. Now I am jobless and doesn't look like I can get an LE position any time soon.

Are there any jobs that you recommend that would help prepare me for an LE career that I can do while I wait for enough time to pass between my recent transgressions and when I apply again?

Also I am considering becoming a full time student and completing my BA which I will need to get student loans for but would be worth it to have my degree when I apply again.

I want this career very badly and will do whatever it takes. Thank you for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by HckyBez33 View Post
                    Value of the toner after tax was $350. I believe felony is $400+ but I'm not sure.

Are there any jobs that you recommend that would help prepare me for an LE career that I can do while I wait for enough time to pass between my recent transgressions and when I apply again?

Also I am considering becoming a full time student and completing my BA which I will need to get student loans for but would be worth it to have my degree when I apply again.

I want this career very badly and will do whatever it takes. Thank you for your help!

yes, 400 is the magic number. give it some time, but if you really want this as a career, never quit applying. in the mean time, military and education are always good. oh, but most important...keep your nose clean

Comment

What you need to do is Corrections, the state of Nevada is hiring c/o's work in the prison for about a year, keep your nose clean and then start testing again, you will see that your luck will change. There background is easy the hardest part is the physical. LEA gives priority to people with law enforcement expiriece it will over shadow alot of your previous flaws.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5271 users online. 284 members and 4987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X