300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campus Police vs. Police Officer/Deputy

What is the difference between a Campus Police Officer and a Police Officer/Deputy. Who has better pay, retirement plan, working hours, overtime, promotion. Whats your personal experience as a Campus Police Officer or as a Police Officer/Deputy. If I were to choose from either of these three respectful positions, what would you recomend and why. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I know a few campus police. They got bored really fast. You got to think about how small their area really is. They are usually small and have a limited area to patrol. I think in my area it's 2 miles off campus. You don't have the opportunity to move into different positions like detective, swat, and I don't know of too many k-9 campus cops. I'm a deputy, I love my position. We are county wide vice a city or a campus and we have a wide variety of positions to move into.

Comment

Not sure about California College Police departments as I work on the East Coast but generally speaking a lot of what opportunties and specialties depends on the size and location of the college. Larger schools ie UMass Amherst, Harvard University.... do have their own CID Units, Motors, SRT teams etc...I'm sure the larger Schools in CA do as well.
      On the other hand most colleges aren't that big and may have a fewer opportunties for advancement. As far as pay and retirement go...I would venture to guess that it's competitive with other agencies...the only thing is that if you work for a private school then you may have a 401k or 403b as opposed to a pension for your retirement. Like Mabbottusmc said the patrol area can be somewhat smaller, that I can attest to as mine is only a few city blocks...but I also work as a part time town officer for a semi rural community north of Boston that's 12 square miles and that seems small after awhile as well....
      "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisari View Post
        What is the difference between a Campus Police Officer and a Police Officer/Deputy. Who has better pay, retirement plan, working hours, overtime, promotion. Whats your personal experience as a Campus Police Officer or as a Police Officer/Deputy. If I were to choose from either of these three respectful positions, what would you recomend and why. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
        its all about what you want in a L.E. career- Mabbott is right about one thing- "sometimes" they get bored.look at it like working at a small city- if that city is tawny and has a small population and low crime- you are going to get bored.( very little movement,very little to do) but IF the campus is in a busy part of town and has a large population,you will do "police work 101"-everything from fights,D/vs, DUI arrests,narcotics, violent assaults,sex violations,and robberies-depending on the Dept and its mgm't,you might be anything from "security" to full fledged police services. Campus police Depts range in authority and scope .don't let people sell you on that "they aren't this" dogma-quite frankly some of these Depts have better work and benefits to offer than some municipal and county,or state agencies.I say apply if theres an agency that is hiring in your area.If you decide you want more,work there and do a good job,gather all the training you can,then later lateral to the agency you think might offer more

http://www.sandiego.edu/safety/

http://www.dps.sdsu.edu/

http://www.sandi.net/policeservices

http://blink.ucsd.edu/Blink/External...,12939,00.html

http://police.sdccd.edu
        Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM.
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

if you're young go the PO/deputy route. if you're old or retired go campus PD. the pay, retirement, promotion is usually better as a PO/deputy for a large department. most campus PDs are small and have small areas to cover. you'll gain more experience as a po/deputy, compared to a campus PO.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by Campus Police? Are you only talking about college campuses or the public school system?

College campus cops will get bored very quick because like some previous posters have said, they have a limited patrol area and little to do. The public school police departments like the LAUSD's police dept (LASPD) is different. I currently work for the LASPD. We have around 350 sworn. Our assignments include SRO, Patrol, PAL, K9 and Motors. We also have Detectives. Our patrol area is 710 sq miles. We average 300 calls for service per day. Here, you can be anything but bored. The pay isn't the best but the bennies make up for it.
            God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

i do have to say this much, I want to work for a college police department just for the sheer fact that if you are in a city you get the best of both worlds. There is excellent training due to the school shooting incidents. As well as the fact that if you are in a city setting you can play city cop but when you get sick of it go back to being the campus cop. You can choose which role to play as long as the command staff and school admin are game with it.
              Alf

Comment

Campus Police gets some nice stuff! At the campus I'm at they have magnums, durangos, cvpi, and nice new bikes. There is a k9 on campus (on call at all times). They get bored quickly, and as a result write a lot of tickets. They also get called up to back up the local P.D. sometimes, but not too often.
                -Yoni

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
                  What exactly do you mean by Campus Police? Are you only talking about college campuses or the public school system?

College campus cops will get bored very quick because like some previous posters have said, they have a limited patrol area and little to do. The public school police departments like the LAUSD's police dept (LASPD) is different. I currently work for the LASPD. We have around 350 sworn. Our assignments include SRO, Patrol, PAL, K9 and Motors. We also have Detectives. Our patrol area is 710 sq miles. We average 300 calls for service per day. Here, you can be anything but bored. The pay isn't the best but the bennies make up for it.
                  hey,bully- you know the "score"! "jr varsity", "2nd place team","wanna be's",oh and can't forget this one "they couldn't join a REAL police dept";( which is WHy over 30 former compton cops-SCARED they wouldn't get picked up by LASD,tried to apply for my Dept-UNTIL some of their backgrounds COULDN'T match our "min. entry standards").Also,considering the FACT that our county has over 50 individual police depts,with nearly 1/2 that DON'T have the call volume,manpower or specialized units or even jurisdictional area that campus/transit/port cops have(but of COURSE LAUSD PD coppers in foot pursuit of ARMED gangmembers or airport cops hooking up drug mules with 2-3 kilos of coke ISN'T "real" police work) anyhow- I like how people always say dept like ours are for "retired" or old folks-people who neither have the patience or the ability to KEEP up when the "crap hits the old fan"~police work is still a young persons game( from the academy and FTO/probationary training- to actual patrol); you have to be focussed and capable- a guy pushing a patrol car at Compton USD PD quite often has FAR more to deal with than someone working Seal Beach or Arcadia PD on a daily basis.Without trying to insult anyone- I still say to the orig. poster, "apply where they will offer you a job"- CA.POST ,the governing agency for standards,employment and training, makes sure that every police dept and police officer,agent,deputy,investigator meets the standards to be a peace officer in the state of Ca. If you qualify to be a "campus"cop,you can easily qualify to be a "city cop"-just do your best to get hired,no matter where you go.

BTW,Bully- there are at least (10) muni depts in L.A.County that DON'T pay or have equal benefits to the L.A. Schools PD
                  Last edited by DOAcop38; 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM.
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

p.s. I was talking about college campus police.
                    -Yoni

Comment

and you can't forget that some college police departments do offer great benefits such as cheap or free tuition for the officers and their immediate families.
                      Alf

Comment

Originally posted by Yoni View Post
                        p.s. I was talking about college campus police.
                        try these for example:

www.ucpd.ucla.edu

http://capsnet.usc.edu/dps/

www.elcamino.cc.ca.us/police/

www.csudh.edu/dhpd/

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                          which is WHy over 30 former compton cops-SCARED they wouldn't get picked up by LASD,tried to apply for my Dept-UNTIL some of their backgrounds COULDN'T match our "min. entry standards
                          Easy amigo. You work in a cesspool like Compton for any amount of time, and the simple act of going out on patrol is going to generate a complaint or thirty.
                          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Apply with the department that best fits you (Type of police work, Personalities, Benefits, etc).

I started my career with a very large So.Cal PD and am currently with a large College Campus. I love working at both agencies. PM me for details.

Benefits/Pay are very competitive b/w departments, but remember thats not everything. You need to fit in and love what you do.

IMO, Do ride-a-longs and apply where you you think you'd be happiest.
                            There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by izhazissuez View Post
                              i do have to say this much, I want to work for a college police department just for the sheer fact that if you are in a city you get the best of both worlds. There is excellent training due to the school shooting incidents. As well as the fact that if you are in a city setting you can play city cop but when you get sick of it go back to being the campus cop. You can choose which role to play as long as the command staff and school admin are game with it.

Everyone gets that kind of active shooter training. The ones I know write a lot of tickets. Parking mostly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9412 users online. 475 members and 8937 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X