300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD MFTO Candidates

Any of you guys out there? Are you going to jump through this next (last?) burning hoop?

If so, have you finished getting all of the "open book" pages printed out and sorted? 1173 pages that you will have taken from you at the end of the test, what a load of sh**... I just burned out 2 printers and a boat load of department paper here printing my stuff out.

Anyway, by now I'm sure you all have heard that station captains will no longer be choosing the deputy, but it is to be a banded list. The candidates will be picked in a 1, 2, 3, etc. order and they will choose the station they want to go to. So, lets assume for arguments sake, that no deputy from Century makes it in the top 20 list, and a deputy from say, Crescenta Valley decides he wants to be the MFTO there, how do you think that is going to sit with folks? This is the biggest lump of sh** that I have been part of in a long time.

So, anybody else got any info, gossip, dirt or opinions about this process?

Just wondering and ranting...
    Carpe Noctem

Being that I am retired from LASD, could you please enlighten me as to what your talking about.
    Retired LASD

Comment

I thought the whole MFTO (Master FTO) thing got 10-22'd. Haven't heard anything about it again untill now. Is it still a 22% bump in pay? We all know how most guys feel about an outsider becoming a FTO from an outside station. I can just imagine how they're going to feel about a MFTO from another station rollin in. Don't know how it should be done. Nice raise though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
        Being that I am retired from LASD, could you please enlighten me as to what your talking about.

A couple of years ago, fto's got a 11% bump after a year of being assigned. A proposal was made to create a master fto for each station. That was a 22% raise. I guess they would be over seeing all the trainees and fto's at their station. It got 22'd I guess because of the selection process. I think each station Capt. was going to select their master fto.

Comment

This is one of several reasons that I decided not to jump through the last hoop.....this is more involved than the Sgt's test......

I have also been told (not sure if it's 100% true) that you will now also have to retest every 2-3 years.....when they first started this, it was going to be a permanent rank.....

I'm just going to wait for the next Sgt's test.....
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

[QUOTE=LA DEP;1124327]
            I have also been told (not sure if it's 100% true) that you will now also have to retest every 2-3 years.....when they first started this, it was going to be a permanent rank.....QUOTE]

So far that rumor is one I can't verify yet. One of the sergeants at my station was part of the unit that came up with the test/procedure, and he said that hasn't totally been decided yet.

I plan on taking the test, what the hell, right? I still don't see this thing totally haping any time soon. I'm sure that no matter what the banding out come is, someone will grieve it and push it off further down the road.
            Carpe Noctem

Comment

I was watching one of my partners print all that stuff out. I said the same thing, "Dam that's more crap than I studied for the last sgt's exam.".....
              LASD
              We do the best for less with less....

Comment

Whatever happens with this, make sure you keep that "war and peace" sized application (30 pages,,,give or take right?) handy....the word was that it was going to be the new standard for all coveted spots.....
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Ditto. Sounds like hogwash. Is this supposed to be a County-wide FTO program instead of being station-centered?

Yeah, I'm sure the ELA units are just gonna love you coming to their station to train their trainees now that you're an FTO... spent all 4 years of your patrol time at Lomita.

EDJ
                  "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Is this program another bird brain idea of that idiot Sheriff Baca. If that bozo only knew what retired members, many who were high ranking members of the dept thought of him, he would retire/quit and let a real law enforcement officer become Sheriff.
                    Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                      Ditto. Sounds like hogwash. Is this supposed to be a County-wide FTO program instead of being station-centered?

Yeah, I'm sure the ELA units are just gonna love you coming to their station to train their trainees now that you're an FTO... spent all 4 years of your patrol time at Lomita.

EDJ
                      Wellllll, when it started, it was suppossed to be a station item that the unit commander would pick.....now, I am not sure....so much has changed over what was initially presented over two years ago.

The idea of the MFTO seems to be to take the spot of the training Sgt.....but, you know as well as I do that you will end up as the axe man....getting all of the rocks.....

One of several reasons that I am not going further in the process

Comment

EMVAMPYRE,

How did the test go?.....and how many actually showed up?

Comment

The test was, um, ok. It was all open book and the info the department provided covered all of the questions asked. There were at least 2 questions which everyone thought were subjective, where 2 different deputies could answer the same question 2 different ways. Otherwise, it was a straight up test.

Now, according to the supervisors giving the test, this is how all coveted position selections will be done. That 18 page application is the new application for everything from watch deputy to SEB. All tests, from watch deputy to SEB will be given in this open book form and in a group setting, not at the station level. (However, I have been told that watch deputy will probably still stay in house since theses are usually available to deputies assigned to that station only, unless there are no elegible candidates.)

The MFTO position is going to be a banded list, all appointments will be lifetime and a station's position will open up when the holder retires/promotes/etc. The next name on the band will then fill that open spot. There will be no "retesting" for those promoted into the position. Station commanders can not remove a deputy from the position on a whim. The MFTO will need to be demoted in the standard county/civil servant demotion process. The 22% will be "retireable" and not a transient promotion not subject for retirement benefits. Appointments would like to be filled in the next 8 weeks, give or take. I am not holding my breath...
                          Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 03-27-2008, 07:07 AM. Reason: Additions
                          Carpe Noctem

Comment

Is this program another bird brain idea of that idiot Sheriff Baca. If that bozo only knew what retired members, many who were high ranking members of the dept thought of him, he would retire/quit and let a real law enforcement officer become Sheriff.
                            Short answer yes, but not really. When this spot was proposed, it was actually a pretty good idea. It would take a large number of training issues that were only covered in the old CPT format and bring them to the station level. The MFTO would be qualified in everything from CPR to force refresher qualification and would be able to perform these trainings at teh station without having to send deputies all over the county for 3 days every 18 months. The MFTO would also be in charge of the training of all trainees and would be a liason between the TO's and the training staff.

It was kind of sold as a promotion for guys who had trained for a long time, were not conformist enough to be a defective, er, detective, and were hard working SOB's. Yes, it was going to be a popularity contest as the station commander was to pick the candidate, but it was actually a pretty good idea. Now, who really knows what it's giong to be or what it will trully entail.
                            Carpe Noctem

Comment

Sounds like Charlie Foxtrot to me...

EDJ
                              "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3529 users online. 245 members and 3284 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X