Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palmdale and Lancaster...

Hello all,

I'm from Maryland but have been browsing California for sometime as a possible relocation area after I finish my last semester. I've seen the Palmdale and Lancaster area's of Los Angeles County seem to be remarkably cheap compared to other parts of Cali I have read about. Actually, the areas are much cheaper than where I live in Maryland too (Montgomery County, suburbs of DC). Can anyone shed any light on these area's? Nice? Growing? Atmosphere? Thanks a lot...

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
    Hello all,

I'm from Maryland but have been browsing California for sometime as a possible relocation area after I finish my last semester. I've seen the Palmdale and Lancaster area's of Los Angeles County seem to be remarkably cheap compared to other parts of Cali I have read about. Actually, the areas are much cheaper than where I live in Maryland too (Montgomery County, suburbs of DC). Can anyone shed any light on these area's? Nice? Growing? Atmosphere? Thanks a lot...
    Ah, the Antelope Valley, affectionately known in local parlance as "The AV." It's the desert. Tumbleweeds and dirt. AV real estate is cheap but it's because AV is far removed from everything and everyone. Continuing the focus on the not-so-good, there are lots of tweakers and anti-government types up there. I'm not sworn (yet!) but I work for the County and I'm familiar with some of the difficulties of dealing with the AV types. I would not recommend moving there but then again I'm a city slicker.

PM me if you like.
    Focused Recruit

Comment

The area is called the High Desert (Antelope valley), I lived thier for 4 yrs. It is beautiful and yes alot cheaper than anywhere else in LA county. It is about 1 hr (driving) time east of LA.

Fast growing as alot of people have moved thier to get away from the fast life down below, they have lots of recreation (dirt bikes, camping, lakes etc) in this area. keep going about another hr and a half and you run ito the mountains. Police service is done by the LACSO, as any other place they have issues but no more or less than the big city..
      Last edited by ICE Offcr; 02-04-2008, 10:21 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Damn, an hour from LA? Is it FAR removed from "urbanity" and what not? Are there malls and all the nice little things that the joe-blow city-slicker is used to?

Comment

ive been to palmdale accuple of times and i really dont like it. i would recomend you the city of Victorville. its right inbetween los angeles ang las vegas....what more could you want? and right now you can buy yourself a brand new house 3bed 2 bath for about 250k its a fast growing city with alot of big commercial buildings goin up as we speak. the only bad news is that the police department goes through san bernardino county...and they're not hiring right now
          CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY PATROL

07-03-08 - APPLICATION ACCEPTED
          07-18-08 - CHP RIDE-ALONG (BARSTOW AREA)
          07-25-08 - WRITTEN TEST - PASSED
          08-19-08 - CHP INDLAND DIVISION SEMINAR
          08-23-08 - PHYSICAL TEST - PASSED
          08-26-08 - QAP - PASSED (85)
          10-03-08 - RIDE ALONG (RANCHO C. AREA)
          01-30-09 - CHP AIR OPS TOUR (APPLE VALLEY)
          03-30-09 - INITIAL BACKGROUND - PASSED
          05-26-09 - CVSA - PASSED
          05-29-09 - FINAL BACKGROUND - PASSED
          06-06-09 - PSYCH WRITTEN
          06-16-09 - MEDICAL
          08-05-09 - PSYCH ORAL

Comment

From what I hear, the AV is getting and has gotten a lot of the south LA thuglets. Rumor is, the projects (namely Nickerson Gardens, Imperial Courts, and Jordan Downs) are slated to be torn down and relocated to the Palmdale/Lancaster area...have fun with that.
            LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
              Damn, an hour from LA? Is it FAR removed from "urbanity" and what not? Are there malls and all the nice little things that the joe-blow city-slicker is used to?
              only "civilization" is Santa clarita ,aka "copland"( and no - canyon country is still trailer parkville)- 15 minutes from the farthest northen edge of L.A. city ; drive another miserable 45minutes along the 14 fwy( a former foot path for the ancient native americans in this region and for wild west age cow rustlers) and you'll be in grimey gulch,eerrr "pompton" ( Compton + palmdale)-up there is a DEFINITE cultural divide -if you go west when you exit the 14 fwy,you probably WORK for a living,worry about schools and property taxes,and tuck your kids in at nite- but if you go east ,you probably ride on "22s" , hate the po-po's, and think "afro man" is a home grown musical genius. As Dickens said.." all that is loathsome is found there"....
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                only "civilization" is Santa clarita ,aka "copland"( and no - canyon country is still trailer parkville)- 15 minutes from the farthest northen edge of L.A. city ; drive another miserable 45minutes along the 14 fwy( a former foot path for the ancient native americans in this region and for wild west age cow rustlers) and you'll be in grimey gulch,eerrr "pompton" ( Compton + palmdale)-up there is a DEFINITE cultural divide -if you go west when you exit the 14 fwy,you probably WORK for a living,worry about schools and property taxes,and tuck your kids in at nite- but if you go east ,you probably ride on "22s" , hate the po-po's, and think "afro man" is a home grown musical genius. As Dickens said.." all that is loathsome is found there"....
                LOL hit the nail on the head with that one

Comment

I was raised in the Antelope Valley and left after high school in 1967. It does get hot in the sumner and can get very cold in the winter, the winds can blow you off the map.

Palmdale is a ghetto with all of the dirtbags that moved from the LA area.

Quartz hill, where I was raised is the nicest area to live. The Antelope Valley has grown to about 300,000 or more residents so you have everything you need.

I read a article a while back that said that the Antelope Valley was the child abuse capitol of the country.

To give you a idea of how busy the Sheriffs Dept is, back in december I was listening on my scanner and by 2100 hrs the Lancaster and Palmdale stations had already put out over 1000 tags ( dispatched calls or details). That is a huge amount of calls and details for service. (LASD Deps on this board will understand what 1000 plus tags will mean)
                  Retired LASD

Comment

I agree with others here, too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Also is VERY windy year round. It's an hour's drive from LA, not counting traffic... and there's always traffic.

Some of the housing is nice, mostly pre-planned communities, which are good areas to live in as long as you don't venture too far out. And as earlier stated, a lot of dirtbags from South Los Angeles have moved out there.

If you're looking to work in the Los Angeles City area, I wouldn't recommend it.

Maybe if you told us what exactly you're looking for and what you're looking to do, we could help you out.

Comment

You have nicer areas west of the 14fwy. Most safety personnel live there.
                      Last edited by L8SHIFT; 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM.
                      LASD
                      We do the best for less with less....

Comment

A year or so ago during a live news report regarding the flooding in Lancaster, they aired teenagers sitting in shopping carts going down the chest high flood like little boats. So ghetto...lol

Comment

Lancaster and Palmdale are 2 of our busiest stations to work....very high crime areas.....I grew up in north AV, and left in 93......will NEVER live there again....(well ok,if you you paid me 1 million a year, I might consider it)....

There are many reasons that Palmdale is referred to as North Compton
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Hahaha

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
                            Last edited by alientic; 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The remote regions of th LA area were propped up by the skyrocketing housing market that placed most homes out of the reach of the common working man. Now the areas closer to work are getting cheeper as the housing market collapses. The outer rim areas are already seeing massive amounts of vacant homes that just cannot be sold and very soon they will have severe economic issues such as blight.
                              Originally posted by FJDave
                              GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                              "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3835 users online. 263 members and 3572 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X