Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick to my stomach..How does this happen?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick to my stomach..How does this happen?

These people have lost their minds!!!!!!! I'm trying hard to fathom how this can happen. Waiting for Training Day II

Ex-officer describes switching to crime
    Ruben Palomares testifies in trial of two alleged members of his crew, which robbed drug dealers.

By Scott Glover, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

January 9, 2008

Testifying with the confidence and poise of the expert witness he once was, disgraced Los Angeles police Officer Ruben Palomares told a federal court jury Tuesday how he went from being an idealistic young officer who wanted to be a role model for troubled kids to a cynical and corrupt cop at the center of a home-invasion robbery ring.

Dressed in a green prison jumpsuit, Palomares faced the jury, often arching his eyebrows or gesturing as best he could in handcuffs to help make his points.

Palomares, who faces a potential life sentence for his admitted role as mastermind of the ring, was testifying in the trial of two of his alleged cohorts, fired LAPD Officer William Ferguson and his brother, suspended Long Beach Officer Joseph Ferguson.

Palomares and 14 other defendants have pleaded guilty, but the Ferguson brothers are fighting the charges in front of U.S. District Judge Gary A. Feess. Palomares is hoping that his cooperation will help him get a reduced sentence.

William Ferguson is accused of serving as Palomares' partner in numerous drug rip-offs staged to look like legitimate police raids. Joseph Ferguson is accused of driving Palomares and his brother to the LAPD academy to steal police cars to be used as props in the robberies and of acting as a lookout on some of the jobs. He is also accused of making a fake 911 call that resulted in the arrest and eventual imprisonment of a crew member who had fallen out of favor with Palomares.

Palomares identified both of the Fergusons in court and detailed their alleged involvement in various "jobs." Palomares said William Ferguson, whom he met while the two worked together briefly in the Rampart Division, was a thorough searcher whom he could count on to find drugs or money hidden in locations where they conducted their bogus raids.

"I used to joke that he was like a bloodhound," Palomares testified, a slight smile crossing his face. "If there were drugs, I knew he would find them."

He said Joseph, whom he referred to as "Joey," routinely scouted locations the crew was plotting to rob and provided surveillance while the robberies were underway.

Under questioning by prosecutor Jeffrey S. Blumberg of the Justice Department's civil rights division, Palomares at times sounded like an active duty police officer as he talked about "formulating a plan" prior to doing "takedowns" on the locations.

Blumberg asked about the significance of arriving at the locations in a police car.

"That way we wouldn't have any resistance or any problems," Palomares said.

Palomares testified about the details of more than a dozen robberies or attempted robberies of the approximately 40 he says he and his crew committed. He guessed that he and his cohorts stole about $1 million in drugs and cash between 1999 and 2001, when he was arrested while trying to buy 10 kilos of cocaine from undercover Drug Enforcement Administration agents in San Diego.

Palomares said he turned to crime after getting hurt on the job and becoming disillusioned by the suspension and subsequent firing of officers implicated in the Rampart police corruption scandal. He also had money troubles.

Palomares admitted on the stand that he and fellow officers periodically planted drugs -- "cop dope," he called it -- on suspects against whom they didn't have sufficient evidence and then wrote false police reports, but he said he felt doing so was justified.

"We felt we were at war," he said. The officers who did such things, he said, "were the officers who really did their jobs and didn't let the gang members win."

He said he first entered into a deal with an old friend who was a drug dealer. The friend told Palomares where he could find large amounts of drugs or money to rob with his crew. The robbers then would split the proceeds with the dealer and his wife, he testified. He said he later forged a similar relationship with a real estate agent who specialized in renting safe houses to Mexican drug dealers.

The former officer described one incident in which he and Ferguson, in uniform, raided a drug dealer's house and found 50 kilos of cocaine. He said the two loaded the drugs into a patrol car they had commandeered, then shifted the cocaine into an accomplice's truck in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium before returning the police car to the nearby LAPD academy.

Palomares is scheduled to be cross-examined today.

[email protected]

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=4&cset=true
    Well...Bye

Palomares worked at Rampart, right alongside Raphael Perez, at the same time as I and 350+ other LAPD members did. To date, if you take a 1996 group photo of those 350+, you would X-out Palomares, Perez, Durden, and one...maybe two...other guys as being crooked and very deserving of time in Club Fed, or worse.

Of course, our critics will never accept that small percentage of being the whole problem with LE, and we should not accept any percentage of it in our midst.

These crimes are old news, now, since Palomares has been under investgation for over five years. But expect this article to be the topic of conversation over and over again, like it "just happened" for the next few months.

Coming soon for LAPD....Consent Decree Part. II?????? I think they've been through enough, already.
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 01-10-2008, 12:06 AM.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Absolutely..I agree. LAPD has been through enough..no doubt! What makes me sick to my stomach, is that in 1990, I tried my hardest to be hired by the LAPD. I was 22 years old, military experience, highly motivated (yes,,truly dedicated), rompin' stompin'...passed with flying colors....and....was the wrong race However, LAPD hired these idiots instead of me...Not LAPD's fault, but the city's fault for sure. Not a big deal now,,but in hindsight,,very ironic
      Well...Bye

Comment

Oh and check this out...

http://www.voiceforinmates.com/inmat...0501301138.htm

What a story!

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
          Palomares worked at Rampart, right alongside Raphael Perez, at the same time as I and 350+ other LAPD members did. To date, if you take a 1996 group photo of those 350+, you would X-out Palomares, Perez, Durden, and one...maybe two...other guys as being crooked and very deserving of time in Club Fed, or worse.

Of course, our critics will never accept that small percentage of being the whole problem with LE, and we should not accept any percentage of it in our midst.

These crimes are old news, now, since Palomares has been under investgation for over five years. But expect this article to be the topic of conversation over and over again, like it "just happened" for the next few months.

Coming soon for LAPD....Consent Decree Part. II?????? I think they've been through enough, already.
          Sowhat were those guys like. In hindsight any clues to this kind of thing?

We had a guy who was corupt...nothing at that level but then again he was alone, I am sure if given the opportunity he would have fallen in step with those turds. His most unusual attribute as that he was very quiet. I mean he never spoke unless spoken too, and even then he would just give some single syllable answer. He made tons of arrest per day, more than anyone I have ever heard of. I am talking like 4 on average self intitiated felony arrests per day. He was also always getting into foot pursuits and fights. He was a huge power lifter and even won a gold mdal for power lifting in the police olympics one year.
          Originally posted by FJDave
          GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
          "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
            Oh and check this out...

http://www.voiceforinmates.com/inmat...0501301138.htm

What a story!
            I hope he gets to meet the Lord very soon, although I expect it will be a very brief conversation.
            Originally posted by FJDave
            GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
            "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
              So, what were those guys like? In hindsight, any clues to this kind of thing?
              When I got to Rampart in 1995, I was a sergeant. We were under the 3/12 platoon system which meant I rarely saw other employees who were not directly assigned to our platoon. There's another issue, for me, in that I was (by then) 11 years sober and could have cared less to associate with younger cops in my off hours. What would I have seen? Very little.

I have to run out now, so I'll get back here, later.

Comment

One has to admit..this is a very unique story that almost blows the Rafael Perez story out of the water! (as far as movie scripts). There were at least three different cops from two police departments, who conspired with 11 other non-police types (dirtbags). Black and white police cars are stolen from the police academy (and later returned), to commit numerous fake dope search warrants over several years! But anyway...how stupid were these idiots!! First of all (luckily) these dumb *** traitors conducted crime business with crooks OUTSIDE of law enforcement. How can a police officer, with any inkling of common sense not know the world of criminal informants. They were doomed from the beginning, and it was just a matter of time before one of those non-police dirtbags got caught for something unrelated, and dropped the dime. Additionally,,, dip**** Palomores trys to make a dope deal with the DEA for a multiple kilo deal, and gets caught (Obviously never heard of L.A. Clear) My opinion...this story is much more incredible than Rafael Perez.
                Well...Bye

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3256 users online. 225 members and 3031 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X