300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Job....

Does anyone know of any good off duty security jobs that pay well? Also, does your department approve of it? I have heard stories of officers being bouncers at clubs, and they pay well if your a officer.

And if you do work off duty in a security type position, would your department back you if anything happens? my guess would be that they wouldnt, but I guess it depends who you work for.
    "I rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

Working at clubs as a bouncer? Let's see, some drunk guy tries to force his way in, or won't leave when asked and you have to put hands on him...and a couple of his friends. No, your department won't like it - as would they not have to assign a supervisor to investigate it? If your department is anything like mine was, then yes, they do.

On the other hand, now, some popular club-goer drops a bindle or rock of some suspicious white substance on the floor in front of you. You recover it and opine it's narco. You arrest him w/o a use-of-force. Think the club management is going to like you arresting non-problem, paying, customers who did nothing but drop "trash" on the floor. You no longer have an off-duty job, and who is going to pay you to go to court?

Okay, let me guess, is there some issue of financial insecurity that compels you to ask the question?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I solve that problem by working overtime. We have so much OT it's pathetic. Besides, I'm covered while on duty from all aspects.

When I had an off-duty gig, I worked at a friend's Ford dealership selling cars. That's about as far from cop work as I could get, and I learned how NOT to get ripped off while buying/trading in a car. I made some long-term acquaintences as well. The money is better working OT though.

Comment

Be a salesman. Working security is too much like working your regular job.

I just finished working four 12's and am now off for four days. Tomorrow I have four sales appointments that will take me about 5.5 hours total with travel time. I'll make 4 times (!) the money I made working as a full time PO for 48 hours. Can't beat sales.

I love being a PO and it's a great, stable job with benefits but I will always sell on the side.

Comment

Staples Center off duty. $50 an hour.

Comment

There are a number of off-duty jobs in the Los Angeles area if you have an in. The LA Dodgers, The Coliseum, Staples Center, Movie Details, Disneyland, Universal Studios and some of the larger hotels. All pay well and are approved by most agencies.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

The problem with these security type jobs is even if approved by your agency you still run the risk of an IA or lawsuit if you get into something while working them. You will be on your own at that time.

I have the in for the Dodgers but passed for that reason. They only pay about $25 / hour anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sir112 View Post
                Staples Center off duty. $50 an hour.
                yeah but my OT pay (time and a half) is $63/hr-with full dept insurance and protection( and i can still do as little as possible);been offered a few under the table security jobs at local Hollywood clubs- don't want the hassle,i'll go to work instead......(where I can sit and watch the lakers,clippers,or Kings)
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Here's Why You Don't Do It

Let's assume you work off duty security as a bouncer at the Other Side of the Tracks Social Club. The owner pays you $40 an hour in cash for your services. Little Jimmy Three Lips and his posse engage in some antisocial activity within the club and at the behest of the owner, you politely ask them to leave. The group declines and an altercation ensues. During this altercation, Little Jimmy Three Lips stabs you and you shoot him. As a result of this exchange, Little Jimmy is paralyzed for life. As the result of your stab wounds, you are hospitalized for a week running up a $50,000 bill and are injured to such an extent that you can never return to law enforcement again. Between your vacation, sick leave and CTO you have accrued 360 hours of leave credits on the books. (And by the way, Little Jimmy sues you for shooting him.)

Now what?

1. Because you were working for the bar owner and not the department, your agency will tell you to look to the bar owner for your medical bills, lost wages and the cost of any legal defense from the civil suit. As far as your agency is concerned, this is just like you fell off the roof of your home and hurt yourself while fixing your TV antenna. It has no relationship to your work as a police officer and other than to offer their best wishes, they have no legal or financial obligations to you.

2. Your agency will allow you to burn off your leave credits, but once that is done, you will need to resign from the department. After all, you are no longer able to physically perform the duties of your position, so you have to go. Because your injury is not work related, you will not receive a pension unless your retirement system has some provision for non-work related disability retirement. Sorry.

3. Next, you turn to the bar owner for help. The first thing he will probably do is point out that he views you as an independent contractor rather than as an employee. As such, he may feel no further obligation to you. Unlike your department (who in most states is obligated to pay for your defense in civil suits) he will probably say that you're on your own there, as well.

4. Now comes your medical insurance company. The point out that somewhere in the fine print it says that it doesn't cover "work related" injuries. You try to explain that you weren't working for the PD, but were really working for a bar owner who says he thought you were an independent contractor. The more you try to ex[plain it to the insurance company, the more you realize that you sound like an idiot. The insurance company says that in any case, its still work related, they won't pay and you need to battle it out in court with whoever you think is responsible. At this point you think about taking out a second mortgage on your home to pay the medical bills and pay the attorneys who will sue the bar owner on your behalf and defend you against Little Jimmy, but then you remember that you are so badly injured that you can't work at the PD any more and won't be able to repay the loan, let alone make your house payments any more.

5. Just for the heck of it, let's say the bar owner is a good guy, says you were an employee and not an independent contractor and lets workers comp pay your medical bills. That's $50,000 you no longer have to worry about. But what about lost wages? Remember, temporary disability rates are based on what your employer was paying you and in this case, you only worked for him maybe five hours a day, one night a week ($200 per week). Unlike a work related law enforcement job, the best you are going to get here is around $30 to $50 per week in workers comp benefits for just a few months. That's nothing compared to the police salary you're going to miss or what you would have received if this had been an on the job PD injury. Again, there will be no disability pension like there would have been if you were injured on the PD job and could no longer work. And as mentioned before, a private employer has no obligation to represent you in a civil suit, whereas most government employers do.

The moral of the story is, if you want to work off duty security, only do it as an overtime assignment for your agency.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5163 users online. 283 members and 4880 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X