Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which San Gabriel Valley Police Departments Would You Consider?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which San Gabriel Valley Police Departments Would You Consider?

Just curious if people know anything about the San Gabriel Valley Police Departments and which ones are considered appealing for what ever reason. I know all of them are pretty slow departments. If i had to guess who gets the most action between all of them, I would say Covina Police Department....Any Info is good info, thanks.
    "I rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

Most of SGV's PDs are pretty dang small. San Marino, South Pasadena, Etc. The largest I think, and busiest, I would think would be Pasadena PD. EMVAMPYRE would be able to tell you more about Pasadena PD.

As for eastern SGV, the one agency that is consistently producing top quality cops that go on to become high-ranking cops in other departments is West Covina. They've been doing that since at least the late 1950's. I have personally known of 3 that were trained by WCPD and have either been outstanding street cops or Chiefs at other cities.

Be cautious about Covina, they're very "small town"-ish, and internally-political, as is Sierra Madre.

The other agencies I can think of off the top of my head are usually well regarded include Azusa, Monrovia, and Glendora.

HTH,

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Azusa is small, but they get good training are very professional and well paid. It's in their contract that they are to be the highest paid agency in the San Gabriel Valley.
      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
        I would look at West Covina PD and Pasadena PD, like EDJ said the rest of them are small and the pay is not the best. I think the two mentioned pay the best for that area.
        WCPD and PPD are very good for smaller depts. I would also throw in Pomona PD. Alot of action to keep you busy enough.

Comment

Although I've been out of SGV for about7 years I would also recommend El Monte. Or go "green" Temple and Industry are good LASD stations
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks guys, that helped me a lot. I wonder why San Gabriel PD wasnt mentioned? the valley is named after them or the other way around. But I would agree that West Covina is a great agency to work for, but I heard negitive things about Pasadena PD (heard they was having internal problems) who knows if its true or not. I thought Pomona PD was a OC department, guess not.

Comment

If I'm fortunate and hired by LASD, I'd put in for Altadena, Temple, San Dimas -- all SGV patrol stations!
              Focused Recruit

Comment

WCPD is a great department. But don't they only take lateral transfers. I never see them hiring for recruits. If I am wrong please let me know.
                SDPD - Passed written test 11/14/07
                SDPD - Passed PAT/Completed PIQ 11/17/07
                SDPD - Currently in backgrounds
                SDPD - Passed Polygraph exam 01/16/08
                SDPD - Lt's interview complete - conditional offer
                SDPD - medical/psyc - Cleared
                SDPD - Academy start date April 21st
                SDPD - Graduated September 30th
                SDPD - Finished 4 months of Phase Training
                SDPD - Now patrolling south of the 8!

"Warriorship is a continual journey. To be a warrior is to learn to be genuine in every moment of your life."

Comment

wow, never knew that since their surrounding cities are part of San Gabriel Valley Departments.

Comment

Originally posted by LB Blue View Post
                    Thanks guys, that helped me a lot. I wonder why San Gabriel PD wasnt mentioned? the valley is named after them or the other way around. But I would agree that West Covina is a great agency to work for, but I heard negitive things about Pasadena PD (heard they was having internal problems) who knows if its true or not. I thought Pomona PD was a OC department, guess not.
                    Pomona PD is one of the most eastern cities of LA County. Good size dept.

Comment

definitely West covina PD, then Pasadena PD,Azusa PD,Alhambra PD,Covina PD, El monte PD,and finally LACOPS(County PD-yup,county PD,they handle the parks and county facilities and are all over the place in the SGV)-"no" to sierra Madre PD( pay is waayyyy to low,$40 -50K/yr),Baldwin Pk PD( history of officers rights violations-made PORAC mag too many times in the mid and late 90s) and Montebello PD.Why Montebello PD??? for such a large City in SGV,they pay too low also($50K to $63K/yr);ditto south Pasadena PD($49- 58K/yr)-IMO,Montebello and south Pas have the revenue to pay more,but just DON'T want to(sadder 'cause both Depts have assertive and hard working officers). Currently , San Marino PD($53K to 67K/yr) will be hiring laterals and trainees,then you have Monrovia PD,Monterey PK who are hiring,and Arcadia PD( are they still popular to hire onto???Alot of folks wanted to go there in the '90s).Whittier PD,despite slow growth and promotions,is a popular choice- they just don't hire that often.San Gabriel and Irwindale seem to virtually NEVER hire !!! All of the SGV depts have an avg pay of $52K to $68K/yr with only Pasadena ,West covina,and whittier PD paying into the '70k's(before longevity or bonuses)........
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                        definitely West covina PD, then Pasadena PD,Azusa PD,Alhambra PD,Covina PD, El monte PD,and finally LACOPS(County PD-yup,county PD,they handle the parks and county facilities and are all over the place in the SGV)-"no" to sierra Madre PD( pay is waayyyy to low,$40 -50K/yr),Baldwin Pk PD( history of officers rights violations-made PORAC mag too many times in the mid and late 90s) and Montebello PD.Why Montebello PD??? for such a large City in SGV,they pay too low also($50K to $63K/yr);ditto south Pasadena PD($49- 58K/yr)-IMO,Montebello and south Pas have the revenue to pay more,but just DON'T want to(sadder 'cause both Depts have assertive and hard working officers). Currently , San Marino PD($53K to 67K/yr) will be hiring laterals and trainees,then you have Monrovia PD,Monterey PK who are hiring,and Arcadia PD( are they still popular to hire onto???Alot of folks wanted to go there in the '90s).Whittier PD,despite slow growth and promotions,is a popular choice- they just don't hire that often.San Gabriel and Irwindale seem to virtually NEVER hire !!! All of the SGV depts have an avg pay of $52K to $68K/yr with only Pasadena ,West covina,and whittier PD paying into the '70k's(before longevity or bonuses)........

You are the best when it comes to knowing about different departments....Thanks..... I heard San Gabriel PD was hiring and they have one of the best benefits packages around...(not sure if that is true) but the city pays for their medical 100 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by LB Blue View Post
                          You are the best when it comes to knowing about different departments....Thanks..... I heard San Gabriel PD was hiring and they have one of the best benefits packages around...(not sure if that is true) but the city pays for their medical 100 percent.
                          ..only 'cuase I used to collect the business cards of any area agency officer I ever worked with ,or trained with - used to try and keep contact just to see "whats what"- it often helps when you hear "rumors" to check and ask-plus when my dept asks for OT officers to man tables at local job fairs ,its a good way to meet other guys/gals locally.One thing i like about O.com is that you will often get "real" info from others-lots of veteran officers,rookies,people in the process,even civilian employees,and family members of officers in various Depts who post,comment,or even "lurk" here that can help you...
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6402 users online. 434 members and 5968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X