300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh....sick!

As many of you that frequent this board may know, LA County jails are a rather disgusting place. Hygiene inside is not exactly forefront on the inmates minds and therefor there is a perpetual "flu bug" inside year 'round. Your body adjusts to it within time, usually after you combat the "county crud" a few times. Alas, my body has said to me no more! They sent me home today 'cuz I guess I looked like a bag of a**holes, despite my repeated pleas of 'No, I'm good to go sir...I normally sweat like this indoors'. So, I went to my doctor to see what the deal was.

I have been sick for two weeks, minor nose and cough stuff. However, the past 5 days I have had a fever, general malaise and that feeling in your lungs you get after a good day of PT on a smoggy so cal afternoon. Yup....pneumonia! Arrrrgh. Got it once when I was in the Army too. Kinda same story, started out as a cold, but I never slowed down to "heal". Oh well....not much I can do now but peruse O *dot* com for the next 5 days.
    The RANGER God cried from above
    Lightning flashed from the darkened sun
    Hailstones fell and the earth did mourn
    It was a solem day for all Airborne
    June 2001 will be
    A tragic piece of RANGER history
    Time stood still on that cursed day
    Cuz legs were donning black berets

Originally posted by Ranger Hoot View Post
    As many of you that frequent this board may know, LA County jails are a rather disgusting place. Hygiene inside is not exactly forefront on the inmates minds and therefor there is a perpetual "flu bug" inside year 'round. Your body adjusts to it within time, usually after you combat the "county crud" a few times. Alas, my body has said to me no more! They sent me home today 'cuz I guess I looked like a bag of a**holes, despite my repeated pleas of 'No, I'm good to go sir...I normally sweat like this indoors'. So, I went to my doctor to see what the deal was.

I have been sick for two weeks, minor nose and cough stuff. However, the past 5 days I have had a fever, general malaise and that feeling in your lungs you get after a good day of PT on a smoggy so cal afternoon. Yup....pneumonia! Arrrrgh. Got it once when I was in the Army too. Kinda same story, started out as a cold, but I never slowed down to "heal". Oh well....not much I can do now but peruse O *dot* com for the next 5 days.

Sorry to hear that...I hope you are back on your feet soon.

Comment

Deleted by Mabbottusmc
      Last edited by Mabbottusmc; 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Dude,

Just in case you are a nubie, remember that under Section 3212 of the Labor Code, pneumonia is presumed to be work related for Sheriffs Deputies. Don't forget to file a workers comp claim to start that 4800 time rolling in.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yup, you got a case of the County Crud. Hope you're back on your feet soon. Yup, also put in for that 4850 time.

Comment

One thing about pneumonia is once you have suffered its pangs you are easily susceptible here-in-after. Take good care of yourself. Wear a mask when you are around the dirtbags of county and when you are among the inmates.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
              One thing about pneumonia is once you have suffered its pangs you are easily susceptible here-in-after. Take good care of yourself. Wear a mask when you are around the dirtbags of county and when you are among the inmates.
              Big +1 on this from me! I had pneumonia a few years ago after trying to enjoy a vacation in Hawaii after being out sick for a week with the flu. A major mistake. I was so sick in Maui that my wife couldn't even wake me up watch the North Hollywood shootout and I'm from the L.A. area. When I was well enough to return home, I went back to work too soon and had a relapse. You've got to learn to take it easy and recover from illnesses, now more than ever because you will be at an increased risk of relapse. I'm not sure about it being 4850 time (I just used sick leave), but if it is- Use it! Now that I'm a supervisor, I strongly encourage my officers to call in sick when they're sick. It prevents more significant illnesses from occurring and prevents things from being passed around officer to officer. Stay at home, relax and come back to work when you are fully recovered. Trust me on this- The jail will carry on without you for awhile!
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I could forward you a lateral app
                Originally posted by FJDave
                GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

It does fall under worker's comp and I am filing. It's good to know that other people have gotten the same junk. Pullicords, you brought up an interesting point about calling in sick if you truly are. In the Army, you were considered "weak" if you went to sick call, and the mindset was that pretty much any illness can be cured by drinking water and some good 'ol PT....right? I still kind of carry that same mentality and that is what burned me this time.

Thanx GMan, but I'm good right where I am....close to going out to patrol.
                  June 2001 will be

Comment

A little over a year ago one of my fellow sergeants (working Morning Watch) was down with the flu. He decided to "tuff it out", repeatedly returned to work prior to a full recovery and went out with pnemonia for about a month. The other sergeants had to work OT to cover his absence, losing their own days off, sleep and time with the family because the supervisor insisted on coming back too soon. Even worse is when an officer is sick (with something nasty) and he/she infects the whole watch! In battle you're stuck with who you have (sick, wounded, etc...) most of the time, our situations in LE aren't so severe.
                    Last edited by pulicords; 08-04-2007, 03:19 AM. Reason: grammar
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

the "gift that keeps on giving"....

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                      A little over a year ago one of my fellow sergeants (working Morning Watch) was down with the flu. He decided to "tuff it out", repeatedly returned to work prior to a full recovery and went out with pnemonia for about a month. The other sergeants had to work OT to cover his absence, losing their own days off, sleep and time with the family because the supervisor insisted on coming back too soon. Even worse is when an officer is sick (with something nasty) and he/she infects the whole watch! In battle you're stuck with who you have (sick, wounded, etc...) most of the time, our situations in LE aren't so severe.
                      I thought that "issue" had been dealt with when the county was supposed to have replaced the filtration system in the recirculating air.My LAPD academy did jail tour (3) days and every last classmate showed up the next monday to the academy slimey nosed, coughing and with muscle aches-Our D.I. at the time knew automatically that we'd caught the "county cooties";today its worse when you think that any surface an inmate has come into contact with has "MRSA"-you can now have your nose running,grinding cough, and your skin rot off( ..and sadly Mgm't-both the City of L.A. and County of L.A. will "try" and deny you got it work!)
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Hey Hoot, look on the bright side, you could have gotten a staph infection! Staph is supposedly all over TTCF and old CJ. I remember a number of years ago when an outbreak of measles knocked out most of Wayside. It was ugly with a number of deputies hospitalized.

Now, wait till you are one of your buddies gets scabbies! Ahh, thats when the fun gets going...
                        Carpe Noctem

Comment

I am going freakin' stir crazy! Since I am on med leave, I have to be at home during my normal work hours and have not left my house for what feels like an eternity....to boot, my internet has been up and down.

I love the wife and kids....but man....I need to do some OT . I think I have seen just about every movie blockbuster has and watched just about every episode of LAPD-Life on the Beat. You know that show airs about 6 or 7 times a day on the reality channel. One more day to go and I am back in the swing.

Scabies is nasty! I worked as a medic prior to joining the dept. and I have seen a few cases....only once did a partner get it...makes me itch thinkin' about it. Staph is rampant here at wayside too, or at least at my facility.

I love it when an I/M comes up to you and says "pssst, hey dep! I think I got a spider bite." C'mon blue, ain't no spiders in county jail!
                          Last edited by Ranger Hoot; 08-07-2007, 01:41 AM.
                          June 2001 will be

Comment

I feel your pain Hoot...I'm off IOD too, I cut a tendon in my index finger, and will be off till the 21st at least. Had 1 operation and still need at least 1 more...
                            Carpe Noctem

Comment

hoo rah ,for the "walking wounded"-made the light duty roll myself-just sitting at work , A/c on full blast, and robert ludlum books to make the time go by!
                              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6074 users online. 421 members and 5653 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X