300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD guys...

Do any of you LASD guys think that the Smith and Wesson M&P 45 with the external safety will be approved/allowed for carry? It's got the external safety. On a side note, I've read that Smith is working on a 13 or 14 round mag for the gun.

There is already a Smith 45 approved. Not sure which one. Personally I would stay away from Smith autos. They make great wheel guns. Very few guys carry the Smith auto. If you're going to get one, get the HK USP 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
      There is already a Smith 45 approved. Not sure which one. Personally I would stay away from Smith autos. They make great wheel guns. Very few guys carry the Smith auto. If you're going to get one, get the HK USP 45.
      People keep "Bragging" that the M&P is a BETTER gun than the GLOCK series-tested and fired it-NOT really( it basically looks like the same type of gun-and since S&W got sued for copying the GLOCK,they probably bought a right to produce a similar gun!!)

I think LASD has some decent choices already

1) the Beretta 92FS- sturdy and accurate
      2) Beretta firearms in general( the old cougar line+newer lines)
      3) H&K firearms- hi end and good quality
      4) S&W weapons systems- having had extensive training in several Depts,I remember Rangemasters at Both LASD and LAPD putting their "trust" in wheel gun back ups from S&W( ala the 2" .38) the 456 and 4506 series semi autos are decent and rugged,but H&K and Beretta in .45 cal are BETTER
      5)Ruger- have yet to see a Dept with one-most still carry their 9mm Berettas
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

nope.. but i can ask the sgt at wtu...

Comment

The M&P is a good gun. Don't care what it "looks like". Take it apart and you will see how it's different than the abomination known as the first generation Sigma. And how it differs from the glock.

If you wish to continue drinking Gaston's koolaid, so be it. The Glock is an excellent weapon, but by no means "perfection." Besides, the 9mm versions are the most durable and trouble free of the whole lot. The 10mm is the most exciting. Everything else in between is no better than the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by boomstik45 View Post
            The M&P is a good gun. Don't care what it "looks like". Take it apart and you will see how it's different than the abomination known as the first generation Sigma. And how it differs from the glock.

If you wish to continue drinking Gaston's koolaid, so be it. The Glock is an excellent weapon, but by no means "perfection." Besides, the 9mm versions are the most durable and trouble free of the whole lot. The 10mm is the most exciting. Everything else in between is no better than the competition.

tsk,tsk, dear "boomie"- you OBVIOUSLY haven't had the pleasure of watching old "sick and weezing"(S&w) fall apart BEFORE your very eyes-M&P may be the new flavor (as I believe you yourself just switched over to it FROM a GLOCK) but for a working man on a budget gun???- GLOCK got the flavor of his "gatoraid"(koolaid is the lowbrow stuff ,ala the old crappy S&W 5906s,cheapo 3913s-funny they actually cost more than a g17,G19) RIGHT the "first" time at bat and has kept on going.now if you want better?? Sig sauer, H&K,Walther.GLOCK actually designed one of the most functional .45 cal rd punching guns to show up in the last 90 yrs- everything else before it was basically a browning /colt knock off,with many guns no better than the orig granpappy of .45s -the 1911.(the only other .45 I like is my beretta 8045-good gun,but never a popular choice due to its "petiteness"-most officers here in L.A. kept them as "off duty" weapons, or traded them when the GLOCK21 came on line )waiting to see if M&P craps out(inevitable) just like its other S&W semi auto brethren......
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

As of this time, the LASD is not adding any firearms to it's list of approved duty or off duty firearms. The S&W M&P in both 9mm and .45ACP were tested by the department and passed all tests. However, that doesn't mean anything really. The majority of deputies currently carrying .45ACP caliber weapons choose the H&K USP pretty much hands down. Second is the Beretta 8045, S&W 4506's come in far third, and I don't know of more than 4 Ruger P95's currently used as duty weapons. Now, there is a chance that in the next year (or 2, or 3, this is the county after all), that new recruits may be issued Glocks in 9mm or possibly .45ACP (bet on the 9mm). But who knows whaty tomorrow will bring, this is LA County after all...

Oh, and DOA, my First Generation 6906 is still humming after 18 years and God knows how many rounds. Nothing will beat Smith's revolvers, but their autos aren't as bad as you would like everyone to think. It's all personal choice. I hate Glocks, they don't feel good in my hand and feel freaking cheesy to boot. In my opinion, but obviously not everyones.
              Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM.
              Carpe Noctem

Comment

Kind of a hijack, but to expand on EM's post -

I am issued a Glock .40 from the County. I carry this as my off-duty weapon. I carry my HK USP45 on duty, and for good reason - my scores with the HK are 20 points better than the Glock consistently. I'm in the 284 range with the HK, and in the 260s with the Glock. The HK is a far superior weapon, comfortable for me, and I'm very happy with it. the glock feels unnatural to me. I can't get used to the trigger, no matter how much I practice and train with it. And it's ugly.

Comment

Don't start writing up the 5150 on me yet, but....I stopped carrying my H&K USP .45 to carry a Nighthawk Custom GRP II (4.25" 1911 type). Even so, if I had the option I'd probably drop the $3,000+ I've got tied up in the NHC to carry a Glock Model 22 (.40 S&W). Crazy as I might be, the grip feels just right, the trigger is plenty good enough (no long take up like the USP LEM) and I like the idea that I could carry a Model 27 (subcompact Glock) as a backup/off-duty. I'm not saying I'd sell the NHC, but I do like the systems approach to duty weapons.
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I agree with ya puli....the systems approach is best. It makes sense. But I just plain don't like the Glock. It's all personal preference as you know. And I'd never write that 5150 on ya - after all, it's YOUR preference, YOUR money, etc. Have fun with it....and train with it often.

Comment

Continuing threadjack...

I just picked up a XD45 today. I hate glock (and own one), tried the HK USP and wasn't impressed. The mag release is the worst design ever IMO. I have a Wilson Combat CQB that I was carrying but can't carry at the moment at my new agency. Hopefully they change the policy soon so I can go back to a 1911.

Comment

I've been hearing VERY good things about the XD45. I would love to have one, but my agency doesn't do the XD45.

Comment

On the H&K, I actually found that using the off-hand side magazine release (with my trigger finger) worked easier than using my thumb. H&Ks are good, but I'm not losing any sleep carrying something else.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

yesterday-LAPD SIS was doing a promo shoot(filming) near my sub station for the kimber custom designed 1911 for SIS( much better and more accurate than the 1911 model carried by LAPD SWAT!!) "yes" the system design for a handgun is important and functional-I carry the .40 cal GLOCK-provides the performance of a 9mm and hi cap with a heavier and more effective bullet.I don't swear its the "greatest" weapon in the world,but for durability,commonality(mags can be used in compacts for off duty) and affordability- I'm happy with it as an on duty "grocery getter".since i'll never be able to carry that "sweet" kimber,If I buy a higher priced gun, it will be a .40 or .45 cal Sig sauer on duty and my trusted 8045 berretta or S&W 2" snub off duty....
                            Last edited by DOAcop38; 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
                              I've been hearing VERY good things about the XD45. I would love to have one, but my agency doesn't do the XD45.
                              I like it so far. Used one at a range and decidied to pick one up for the iterim. Cheap...$530 out the door. I qualified today and pulled it out of the box and shot a 92 then a 96. So it works.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4712 users online. 319 members and 4393 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X