300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Jose vs. San Mateo Police Academies

Has anyone on here attended either one of these academies?

If I want to attend the session beginning in September, I will be forced to attend the academy in San Jose at Evergreen Valley College. With that being said... I live in San Mateo!! I am mentally ready for the academy and really want to attend come September, however I'm concerned that the distance/traffic could have an adverse effect on my performance -- SEE: Difference between GOOD and GREAT

In your opinions, should I even be considering to wait to attend the academy starting in January 2008 when I'd have a much stronger chance of attending the academy in San Mateo.

Any and all advice/input is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
    Has anyone on here attended either one of these academies?

If I want to attend the session beginning in September, I will be forced to attend the academy in San Jose at Evergreen Valley College. With that being said... I live in San Mateo!! I am mentally ready for the academy and really want to attend come September, however I'm concerned that the distance/traffic could have an adverse effect on my performance -- SEE: Difference between GOOD and GREAT

In your opinions, should I even be considering to wait to attend the academy starting in January 2008 when I'd have a much stronger chance of attending the academy in San Mateo.

Any and all advice/input is greatly appreciated
    In law enforcement you take the first job given to you and never count on something happening later that might be "better". If you are being sponsored (meaning PAID) just rent an apartment or room close by if you are that concerned about the travel time.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
      In law enforcement you take the first job given to you and never count on something happening later that might be "better". If you are being sponsored (meaning PAID) just rent an apartment or room close by if you are that concerned about the travel time.
      Thank you for the response!

I should note that I am going in as a non-affiliate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
        Thank you for the response!

I should note that I am going in as a non-affiliate.
        Then it's up to you. If I was paying for it I would probably wait for the closer one.

Comment

Ultimate86,

They say bad things about the South Bay Regional Academies (Evergreen, San Mateo College, and Gavilan). You should check out some of the other threads on them. If you're paying for yourself look into other academies like Los Medanos in Pittsburg or Napa Valley College.

What I've heard about South Bay Regional Academies is that they have inconsistent discipline standards and poor teachers. I heard that a lot of the instructors are just civilians with no LEO experience. I advise you to investigate further since you are a non-affiliate.

Also, check out the Alameda Sheriff Academy, I'm not sure if they take non-affiliates but they are well known as the best (or one of the best) in Northern Cali. Cops from as far away as Monterey train there. Furthermore, check out the Santa Clara Sheriff Academy in Morgan Hill (again, not sure if those guys take non-affiliates).
          Last edited by westcoast; 07-20-2007, 03:30 AM.
          CBP Officer
          Written- Feb. 09
          Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
          Physical- Apr. 09
          Medical- May 09
          Medical Update- Jul. 09
          Background Investigation- Aug. 09
          Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
          Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
          Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

South Bay Regional Academy

Don't know where you get your info westcoast. Teachers at South Bay are either current or retired police officers, or attorneys. Non-affiliates also have a very high employment rate. They are often times hired while still in the academy.
            Ultimate86: Difference between Evergreen and CSM: CSM academy class is large (50) and Evergreen is usually 30 or less.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6102 users online. 423 members and 5679 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X