300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dillemma

so i'm applying to a PD and i just sat in on an orientation and the officer giving the orientation openly gloated about how she wrote a cite to the father of a sheriff's deputy in a nearby agency.

any thoughts? seems pretty messed up to me. not sure if it is even worth continuing with the process.
    CBP Officer
    Written- Feb. 09
    Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
    Physical- Apr. 09
    Medical- May 09
    Medical Update- Jul. 09
    Background Investigation- Aug. 09
    Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
    Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
    Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Originally posted by westcoast View Post
    so i'm applying to a PD and i just sat in on an orientation and the officer giving the orientation openly gloated about how she wrote a cite to the father of a sheriff's deputy in a nearby agency.

any thoughts? seems pretty messed up to me. not sure if it is even worth continuing with the process.

Thoughts?

-one bad Officer does not make the whole PD bad.
    -who are you to get indigent about anything?
    -go with how you feel when applying. You will get a "good" feeling from some agencies more then others.

Comment

seems pretty messed up to me. not sure if it is even worth continuing with the process.
      Not continue with the testing process, because of one person's tacky comments? This "Deputy" was probably some desk jockey, with very little street experience/time. As a matter of fact, I doubt the incident ever happened. It's your choice, but at this point, I think you should just allow comments like that roll off your back, and continue.
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

i didn't phrase my question right. i was wondering how often something like what i said above is emblematic of a wide-spread lack of team spirit. from the responses it looks like it isn't. i'm sure every department has people on the margins that aren't team-oriented, it just worried me that someone would make a comment like that while representing the department to an outside group.

saying it to people outside the department would indicate to me that it is fair game within the department. i'm probably wrong, but hey, my remedial school teacher always said that no question was a stupid one. j/k
        CBP Officer
        Written- Feb. 09
        Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
        Physical- Apr. 09
        Medical- May 09
        Medical Update- Jul. 09
        Background Investigation- Aug. 09
        Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
        Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
        Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Ok, a quick primer on traffic cops. There is a big difference in the police world when it comes to officers/deputies/troopers out on patrol. I am a crime guy. I hate traffic! I am very proud of the fact that in 18 years on my department I have NEVER written a traffic accident report or truly investigated a traffic incident. (Yes, yes, I know this sounds ignorant and stupid, but that's just me.) I have written very, very few traffic tickets on the basis of traffic infractions only. I use traffic stops to find guns, dope, dead hookers in trunks, etc... Now, every department out there has a traffic division who's main job is....TRAFFIC. This includes writing traffic accident reports and investigating traffic incidents as well as writing citations. Now, there are some individuals who are so ingrained in the traffic mentality that they will write everyone they stop for every little infraction, no matter what it is, no matter who he/she is that they stopped. Yes, I know of deputies on my department who have cited other members of our department. Yep. (There is a certain station on my department where the traffic deputies are notorious for this county wide. This community happens to have a high LEO and fire population as well.)

Now, is this right? Is this wrong? I can't speak for everyone, I can only speak for myself as to my philosophy and practices. I know, personally, of a LEO on a different department that cited a deputy at my station not once but twice in our own station area mind you, and when that individual asked for assistince one night, we rolled as hard as ever and got into a force situation with this individual's suspect. We knew who he was prior to the assistance request, but rolled as hard as if it was a deputy on our own department. Because that's how we do things, how we look at things.
          Carpe Noctem

Comment

go for a ride a long with different officers
            ask a few question
            evaluate for yourself

don't let the one paint a picture for all ..
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

No where does it say the Officer in the story is a traffic cop. No where does the whole story come out. Maybe she did write the relative of the sheriff. Maybe he was a total idiot and needed to be written. Maybe her story was more geared toward the integrity aspect as this was an orientation for a PO job and we all know how they love to harp on integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                No where does it say the Officer in the story is a traffic cop. No where does the whole story come out. Maybe she did write the relative of the sheriff. Maybe he was a total idiot and needed to be written. Maybe her story was more geared toward the integrity aspect as this was an orientation for a PO job and we all know how they love to harp on integrity.
                That's true, I was merely pointing out the whole "Traffic God" way of life as I have seen it, that's all.
                Carpe Noctem

Comment

i didn't phrase my question right. i was wondering how often something like what i said above is emblematic of a wide-spread lack of team spirit. from the responses it looks like it isn't. i'm sure every department has people on the margins that aren't team-oriented, it just worried me that someone would make a comment like that while representing the department to an outside group.

saying it to people outside the department would indicate to me that it is fair game within the department. i'm probably wrong, but hey, my remedial school teacher always said that no question was a stupid one. j/k
                  Well, maybe the Deputy sheriffs "Dad" deserved the ticket,and the officer in the orientation must really have very little patrol duty or experience to relate that as something she felt "important" to get across to potential candidates-like everyone else has already said-what does this have to do with you joining that dept?field enforcement is based onsome "brothers in blue" approach-it an individual thing,unless directed by a supv(i.e. sobriety check points,roadblocks, stop sign enforcement in certain locations)-what you need be concerned about is how you will be treated as a potential new hire and what future you will be offered.good luck....
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Sounds like she did it for the "look at me," pat herself on the back, in front of a bunch of civilians. Shame the Dept. put her out front to represent them at an orientation. So many other things that could have been brought up..

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                      Sounds like she did it for the "look at me," pat herself on the back, in front of a bunch of civilians. Shame the Dept. put her out front to represent them at an orientation. So many other things that could have been brought up..
                      had a Sgt do that once in an "orientation" for a group of 50 candidates- they only picked up 20 out of that group,then 15 later for the next academy.I was grousing for a crime rpt a patrner had left in the roll call room and walked in the meeting by accident-Next thing I know,this "sgt" pulls that and here's officer So and so( me)-you can ask him ,"We put alot of felons in jail together"-WTF???? I put alot in jail,got dirty,M.F'd by the watch commander regarding ot,and got tired and worn out doing it ,but NOT you buddy( I said to myself)-of course I just smiled politely,excused myself for entering and walked out.ChitownDet-some folks just like to build themselves up to "wow" the uninformed "yokels" and pump them up about joining the job..
                      I'd think that being offered a decent job would be incentive enough.........
                      Last edited by DOAcop38; 07-20-2007, 03:21 AM.
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

She sounds like someone I use to work with! She will say or do anything to get promoted--except investigate a crime or work well with others! Of course, they made her an FTO. She is the exception, not the rule. (And has no chance of making Sgt. anytime soon since she is so tranparent.)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4930 users online. 387 members and 4543 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X