300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california counties

I want to work for a county vs. city or state highway patrol. does anyone know whether or not the following depts are currently hiring and any insight to them:
    ventura co., merced co., fresno co., inyo co., san luis obispo co., tulare co., kings co.,?

Out of the one's you named I think only Tulare has current openings. Most Departments are accepting applications, but there for future openings. Are you POST certified or are you looking to be sent to an academy? There's a lot of places recruiting. Go on Calopps.org, or go to one of theses other links:
    www.911hotjobs.com, www.copseek.com, www.copcareer.com, copsonline.com, policeemployment.com

All of these are good cop job boards. Good luck.

Monterey County is down 40 positions and there recruiting hard. You do the written(unless you have A t-score w/in 12 months), then the pat. If you pass your pat, which is probably the easiest one I've taken, they give you your PHS right there without having interviewed you at all.
    "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

You might want to forget Tulare Co. I know a lot of guys that worked there. They are one of those depts that hires anyone with a heart beat. It is full of pre-service academy grads that couldn't get hired anywhere else and commute from the LA area once a week. I've been told that their policies stink too. But hey, if it gets you in the door.
      God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Be wary of Monterey County SO. Pay is low, and you have to work the jail before working patrol. Their administration is a mess, too.

Why don't you want to work for a city PD? I know counties have more territory, but there are some benefits to working in a city. First, there are departments that pay way more than any SO ever will - San Jose, Santa Clara ($110K top step, $116K top step with longevity - 10 years), Sunnyvale. Backup is a lot closer. There are assignments that most SOs don't have - motors, bicycles, even mounted. You won't have to work jail or court security (been there, done that, being a bailiff is little more than an armed hall monitor).

I work for an SO and do like the freedom of large beats and the sergeant usually being halfway across the county, but don't discount PDs. Look at more than the obvious. Pay, benefits, promotion opportunities, and variety of assignments are important, especially the first two. Having fun wears off after quickly if the pay and bennies suck.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Ventura County SD is hiring, I'm scheduled to take the written on 7/14
          My LAPD Process
          PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
          PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
          Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
          Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
          Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
          Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
          Backgrounds - In Progress
          Oral Psych - TBD
          Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

I've heard the same thing about Tulare. What's wrong with OC or LA?

EDJ
            "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

i am a academy grad. and thank you for the info. do you work for fresno pd? if so are they hiring?

Comment

thanks for the heads up. I just submitted last week my phs along with other misc. items to riverside co. hopefully i will here something soon.

Comment

You went all the way around L.A. County. It might well be worth looking into. Huge choices, currently jail time can be as low as 3-5 months and come next March we're going to be short about 1500 deputies which will make huge upward choices
                  Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

There are fifty-eight counties in the state of California. Here is the list:

http://proagency.tripod.com/cacounties.html

If you click on the county you have an interest in, you will find the pertinent data for its Sheriff's office. You can contact them personally. Remember that the more remote counties are underpaid and understaffed. Some have just the minimum number of officers to patrol for the day.
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                      You went all the way around L.A. County. It might well be worth looking into. Huge choices, currently jail time can be as low as 3-5 months and come next March we're going to be short about 1500 deputies which will make huge upward choices
                      You mean we're going to be down another 1500 Deps. Thats what we were down last year from what recruitment told me.

Comment

Fresno is always hiring. Very busy dept. Just watch out for the sh_t as it rolls down hill, big time.
                        "Will to Protect....Courage to Fight"

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
                          You mean we're going to be down another 1500 Deps. Thats what we were down last year from what recruitment told me.
                          I wasn't even counting what we're already short, sorry. This is reflecting the anticipated retirements around March 2008
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

MSoCAL,
                            I'll be testing for the VCSD on the 14th as well.

Comment

Originally posted by davjon14 View Post
                              I want to work for a county vs. city or state highway patrol. does anyone know whether or not the following depts are currently hiring and any insight to them:
                              ventura co., merced co., fresno co., inyo co., san luis obispo co., tulare co., kings co.,?
                              Ventura County is hiring. VCSD.org
                              "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6192 users online. 426 members and 5766 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X