300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official LASPD Thread

Hopefully someone can answer these questions.

How is the moral of officers in the dept?
    What weapons are they issued?
    How long is the FTO program and probationary period?
    How is the pay (any upcoming raises)?
    What is a typical day like? What do you patrol or what type of radio calls do you respond to?

Thanks !
    There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

U mean the L.A. County Safety Police Department? If so, there is a pretty good sized thread on that already.

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
      U mean the L.A. County Safety Police Department? If so, there is a pretty good sized thread on that already.

EDJ
      No, Los Angeles School Police

Comment

not too much info on Los Angeles School Police Department
        Did find http://lausdjobs.lausd.k12.ca.us/OAppBul/4221JR.htm
        My LAPD Process
        PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
        PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
        Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
        Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
        Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
        Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
        Backgrounds - In Progress
        Oral Psych - TBD
        Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

LA County Safety Police ceased to be a department 9 years ago. No such animal. Extinct, LONG ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IMachU View Post
            LA County Safety Police ceased to be a department 9 years ago. No such animal. Extinct, LONG ago.
            heh. LASPD as in Los angeles SCHOOL Police, Not la county safety police.

Their website says they are LASPD and not LAUSD PD as a lot of people think.

But thanks for the info

Comment

OIC. That's what I get for having lateralled out of county. Thanks for the tip.

EDJ
              "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

.....and a STRONGER,more effective Dept came into being !! you'd have to be an "old timer" to call it the "safety police".dropped off a warrant suspect with serious medical at the 13th flr several mos. back and the O.G. I was riding with radioed our dispatch to contact "Co.safety PD" when we ran into a 415/5150 in the street(just before the coroners office) and needed a "Back up" on this half naked guy-the dispatcher replied "county -who?"She called LAPD ,but co.PD and --surprisingly-USCDPS showed up too....
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Biz_mikee View Post
                  Hopefully someone can answer these questions.

How is the moral of officers in the dept?
                  What weapons are they issued?
                  How long is the FTO program and probationary period?
                  How is the pay (any upcoming raises)?
                  What is a typical day like? What do you patrol or what type of radio calls do you respond to?

Thanks !
                  very rarely run into those guys(soemtimes they show up at Westchester High school in the day and evening,and often a few times at nite to several elementary schools that have code 30 ringers-burg alarms ,in the westchester area) They - the LASPD officer I've met,seem "Satisfied",and like alot of "specialized" or district depts,it is what you make of it- you can "veg" out in a 9-5'er job ,by going into admin or taking one of those campus footbeat/resident officer assignments,or stay patrol. There- School PD ,pay isn't very high to start,but there are some "add ons " that bring it up-starting is like $43K to $54K/yr,but most officers with 7+ yrs on are closer to high 60s,low 70s,plus they get OT also for special details.LASPD has Detectives,K-9s(search/patrol/narco)Motors,a small gang unit,an SRT team(part time),and since they've gotten former LAPD capt Mannion as Chief ,they've gotten fairly "aggressive" in their patrols ,particularly in the East LA., So.Bay and South Central areas where LAUSD campuses and facilities are. I know that the beretta 92 FS was the standard issue ,but have seen GLOCK series weapons in a few School PD officers holsters.They also carry less lethal weapons,and the standard Remington 870 shotgun out on patrol.(sadly, at one time LAPD TRIED to block them from having shotguns,under the pretense"that LAPD would be there to back them up with add'l weapons IF it got that serious"...........)

Under the old Chief ,Wesley mitchell, they drove dark purple cars and were virtually "campus security",but they can now be seen in many L.A areas running T/Stops,and I've seen them shaking down local gangbangers in certain neighborhoods.The school PD covers like 500-600 sq miles of patrol are,have (350+) officers and supvs, and at least 1,000 facilities.you used to have to have prior L.E. experience or at least an AA/AS to qualify,but now you need only be H.S.grad. LASPD trains at Rio Hondo regional Academy (22 wks) and their FTO program is like a lot of local PDs ,where the avg time is about 20 -24wks.alot of older Airport coppers used to work the off duty -per diem officer positions there and actually liked the Dept( some STILL have the ids and badges as momentos).From what I gather "typical" calls are just like calls for service with any PD,and you are not "just" dealing with juveniles,although thats what you are charged to protect;while booking a narco suspect at LAPD PAcific Jail,School PD were bringing in 2 16 yr olds and a 22 yr old gangbanger who had just robbed some older folks near Venice H.S.

If you are interested,I say go for it! Police work is varied,some things stay the same,some different-LASPD has a very good retirement,and -like I said,the work is what you make of it-be a hard worker and promote ,do good deeds,or be laid back and do the job,and make people happy. try www.LASPD.com that should be their website-they have the main HQ off the 110 fwy across from the L.A. convention center......contact "Bully" on this site- he recently lateralled to Riverside Co.sheriffs from LASPD- I'm sure he can help you if you want to join and can tell you the "good" and "bad" on LASPD........
                  Last edited by DOAcop38; 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM.
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I know I've been out of the loop on this forum as of late, but I've been getting alot of requests for info about my old stomping grounds. So here it goes.

DOACOP was right about most of it, I'll just clean up a little. The dept. is slotted for 350 officers. Right now there is about 280. Under former Chief Alan Kerstein (who is now in charge of everything at Staples Center) the dept has a goal of 600 officers. Kerstein left a couple years ago and left the dept in the hands of one of his LAPD buddies, Larry Manion. Larry is a great guy. He just lets too, many district managers walk all over him.

As far as weapons, the issued side arm is the Glock 22. You can carry a wide variety of guns from the major manufacturers in 9, 40 and 45. I started with a Beretta 92 FS(9mm), to a Glock 17(9mm), to a Para-Ordnance LDA(45) to a USP (40). Shotguns are the remington 870. We used to have the Vang Comp system on the shotguns which made it a very serious piece of hardware. The new range staff thinks it's too, expensive though so it's going bye bye. AR15's in every car. About 20 bean bag guns dept wide.

Special assignments include K9 (both patrol and dope). SWAT, part time assignment primarily used for high risk warrants (currently on hiatus until a new policy is written). And my favorite Motors (current bike is the Honda ST1300 and they still have some 05 BMW's). Shotguns are mounted on the bikes.

Calls range from the 5 yr old kid telling the teacher to pound sand (go figure people actually call cops for that......but they do) to homicides. You name it, I handled it there. If you're into gangs, that's the place to go. Every officer has a chance to be a gang expert.

Morale is back and forth. Basically, the guys feel short changed by the union and the admin. The district looks at you as a security guard and the public is ignorant about your duties. You always get the, "You can't stop me, you're just the school police!" You just smile as you write the cite. Or, "You're not the real police!" Just put them in the fake handcuffs, take them to the fake jail and let them see the fake judge. Maybe they can meet the fake Bubba later in the fake State Pen. There is always the stigma of LAPD taking over, but that won't happen. LAPD can't and won't provide the level of service that the LASPD does. LAPD also can't patrol the other cities covered by the dept. The dept covers 710 sq miles. the city of LA is like 500 or 600 sq mi.

Pay is slowly getting better. Where you make out is in the bennies. Your medical and retirement is paid for. This makes up for a lot. Overtime is almost unlimited if you like working.

To sum it up, it's a good agency to work for. It is what you make of it. Sure, I'm now the "real police" but I still regret leaving some times.

Any more questions, just ask.
                    Last edited by Bully; 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM.
                    God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Ooooh! I have a question.....how's your old bike? Just kidding....I know you gotta miss that scooter. Who knows....you may be back on one soon.

Comment

Hey Bully....Thanks for the info.

Comment

Ooooh! I have a question.....how's your old bike? Just kidding....I know you gotta miss that scooter. Who knows....you may be back on one soon.
                          Hey bro, the worst day of my life was the day I got off it. Some day soon I will be back on one. Hey Eloy is on SEB now. It's our county wide special problems unit. He said to say hi.
                          God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Tell him Howdy! That's awesome he made the team!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevesbro50 View Post
                              Hey Bully....Thanks for the info.
                              Like I told you a while back,APPLY all over- hope you can come back to L.A.- Apply to LASPD.Later on "if" you decide to try LAPD again ,I'll GUARANTEE you they won't say "no.....(but by then you'll be settled in, be an FTO or DET or K-9 ,or even a motors cop and probably not be interested)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6329 users online. 332 members and 5997 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X