300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUCH! This doesn't look good!

I don't see this being the fault of the police, but heads are going to roll, and someone's gettin' rich!
    Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help
    Tapes show operators ignored pleas to send ambulance to L.A. hospital
    NBC News video

Fury after woman dies in hospital lobby
    June 13: NBC's Michael Okwu reports on a desperate 911 call made as a woman lay dying in a California hospital lobby.
    Today show

Updated: 7:43 a.m. PT June 13, 2007

LOS ANGELES - A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.

Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.

Relatives said Rodriguez was bleeding from the mouth and writhing in pain for 45 minutes while she was at a hospital waiting area. Experts have said she could have survived had she been treated early enough.

County and state authorities are now investigating Rodriguez’s death. Relatives reported she died as police were wheeling her out of the hospital after the officers they had asked to help Rodriguez arrested her instead on a parole violation. Sheriff’s Department spokesman Duane Allen said Wednesday that the investigation is ongoing.

In the recordings of two 911 calls that day, first obtained by the Los Angeles Times under a California Public Records Act request, callers pleaded for help for Rodriguez but were referred to hospital staff instead.

“I’m in the emergency room. My wife is dying and the nurses don’t want to help her out,” Rodriguez’s boyfriend, Jose Prado, is heard saying in Spanish through an interpreter on the tapes.

“What’s wrong with her?” a female dispatcher asked.

“She’s vomiting blood,” Prado said.

“OK, and why aren’t they helping her?” the dispatcher asked.

‘They’re just watching her’
    “They’re watching her there and they’re not doing anything. They’re just watching her,” Prado said.

The dispatcher told Prado to contact a doctor and then said paramedics wouldn’t pick her up because she was already in a hospital. She later told him to contact county police officers at a security desk.

A second 911 call was placed eight minutes later by a bystander who requested that an ambulance be sent to take Rodriguez to another hospital for care.

“She’s definitely sick and there’s a guy that’s ignoring her,” the woman told a male dispatcher.

During the call, the dispatcher argued with the woman over whether there really was an emergency.

“I cannot do anything for you for the quality of the hospital. ... It is not an emergency. It is not an emergency ma’am,” he said.

“You’re not here to see how they’re treating her,” the woman replied.

The dispatcher refused to call paramedics and told the woman that she should contact hospital supervisors “and let them know” if she is unhappy.

‘May God strike you too’
    “May God strike you too for acting the way you just acted,” the woman said finally.

“No, negative ma’am, you’re the one,” he said.

The incident was the latest high-profile lapse at King-Harbor, formerly known as King/Drew. The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is investigating claims of recent patient care breakdowns, including Rodriguez’s case.

Federal inspectors last week said emergency room patients were in “immediate jeopardy” of harm or death, and King-Harbor was given 23 days to shape up or risk losing federal funding.

‘Fundamentally a failure of caring’
    Dr. Bruce Chernof, director of the county Department of Health Services, which oversees the facility, has called Rodriguez’s death “inexcusable” and said it was “important to understand that this was fundamentally a failure of caring.” He has said conditions are improving, though.

A call Wednesday seeking comment about the 911 tapes from the department’s communications office, which handles information about the hospital, was not immediately returned.

Dr. Roger Peeks, the chief medical officer at the hospital, was placed on “ordered absence” Monday, the Times reported. Health officials declined to elaborate, saying it was a personnel matter. Dr. Robert Splawn, chief medical officer for the health department, was named interim chief medical officer, the newspaper said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19207050/?GT1=10056
    "Disco's Out, Murder's In" -Man, ain't that the truth!

How very sad. Now that I think about it, I can only recall a very small percentage of my severe GSW victims who actually came out of king alive. I guess they don't call it "Killer King" for nothing.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

All you need to know about Killer King:

Nelson Yamamoto.

EDJ
      "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Love how they blame the 911 operators.
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
          They didn't really do anything to help either. IMO, better safe than sorry would have been the policy to follow there. Send paramedics and have them sort it out.

Comment

this is going back on the hospital...

the agency will see a new policy....

but never the less, a bad situation.
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

Hind site is 2020,,I don't think the 911 operators had anything to do with this either. She was at a hospital for christ sake! Killa King or not. Not the dispatcher's fault. One was a bit rude,,but the ones I deal with are always moody and rude..lol
              "Disco's Out, Murder's In" -Man, ain't that the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by normal1 View Post
                They didn't really do anything to help either. IMO, better safe than sorry would have been the policy to follow there. Send paramedics and have them sort it out.
                Except it's a hospital, and there are already EMT's on scene.

I probably would have written this as a 415, but then I'd be told to call hospital security for them to sort it out.

sigpic

Comment

Except it's a hospital, and there are already EMT's on scene.

I probably would have written this as a 415, but then I'd be told to call hospital security for them to sort it out.

It's odd enough that dispatch should have just sent paramedics. What would that have hurt? When you have a second person call in stating the same thing that's a good sign that something is amiss. Police and fire should have been sent and then they wouldn't have had to worry about the huge payout that they are going to be involved in.

Comment

Knowing King I probably would have advised the husband to get his wife out of there and drive over to St. Francis, it's only about 10 minutes away. hbliam, no sending paramedics dosen't work, an ER has doctors that over ride paramedics. It's like sending enlisted personel to the officer's club to tell the generals what to do. While they may be more practically suited you just get squashed. The blame is entirely on the hospital, again. King has a huge rep, as ElDiabloJoe mentioned Nelson Yamamoto was a Firestone Deputy shot in the line of duty. The corner listed in his death report that the health care provided by King was a contributing factor to his death
                    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                      All you need to know about Killer King:

Nelson Yamamoto.

EDJ
                      Dam* straight El Diablo!

Heck, as anybody who's ever worked as a watch deputy before would know, just transfer the caller to the fire dispatch and let America's heros deal with it. Sending paramedics and ambulances is fire's job, not us.
                      Last edited by EMVAMPYRE; 06-14-2007, 06:03 AM.
                      Carpe Noctem

Comment

I would consider a 911 call from a hospital to be a 415, an Unknown trouble situation, or maybe a 5150. If we notified the FD, they would probably stage, because it sounds like a dispute between the caller and the staff.

It's sad to say, but we get 911 calls for the wrong reasons all the time. I once took a 911 call from a man in the hospital because they put his shoes on top of his pile of clothes, not under them.

I've taken 911 calls from jail payphones too. One where the guy said "Someone help! Get me out of here!" Sometimes they call just after release. They're standing out front, don't have a ride, call 911 and say "They don't feel good."

It's a good lesson in why you should call 911 at home, and have the ambulance take you to the hospital though. At least then you don't get stuck in the waiting room.

sigpic

Comment

This situation is really sad in many ways. Imo it shows how workers start to become hardened after repeated exposure to emergency (and non emergency) situations mixed. Added with lack of staffing, funds, inaffective management, and individual poor decision/assesment skills. The sad thing is that had she received the care she needed it was said she would have survived. An even sadder thought is the man who identified himself as her husband was said not to be legally married. If she doesnt have children who would sue? Is there a lawyer who would take the case if the family did not have enough to pay fees up front? If not then nothing will be done. The media just let people know if you have a choice avoid that hospital.
                          Reality is only a perception

Comment

One of the operators, a male, chastised a caller severely for calling 9-1-1 to get assistance. He was totally out of line with his negative posture.

K-D MC is not where you want to go unless you are ready and willing to die! One of the worst managed, disenchanted, laize faire(sp?) facilities in the L.A. area. It is so mismanaged that in recent years a psychiatrist billed the facility for a lot of money for his alleged performance as an ER physician. He was later proven to be filing false claims and discharged from staff. He was working in his own office some fifty miles from K-DMC.

When I worked East L.A. an ambulance carrying one of my officers was dispatched to K-D. I cancelled the directive and had them go to LA-USC Med.
                            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

This is quite ridiculous. Any hospital that refuses to treat a patient in need of critical care must be thoroughly investigated and probably shut-down. I can see why the people called 911, they weren't getting help in the most fundamental of places to receive it. The one dispatcher was a little rude but then it was out of his hands, what could he do. He was probably just as mortified as the people calling.
                              Jeff

:< Never argue with an idiot....They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience >:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3494 users online. 235 members and 3259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X