300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasadena PD

Anybody got the scoop on PPD? I read two books written by a former Black officer there (Naum Ware)..and he didn't have alot of good things to say about PPD. He was fired after publishing the last one. The books (The Rose Garden and The Roses Have Thorns) were written a while ago. Curious if he was just a disgruntled cop, or was there merit to his complaints.
    "Disco's Out, Murder's In" -Man, ain't that the truth!

I've heard good things about the department from officers who work there. The current chief was a very good cop before he went into management and seems to have excellent rapport with his officers now. Pay and benefits are good.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

As far as I recall the PPD was a great bunch of officers - kind of a mini Beverly Hills. Good morale and efficient officers. The officer who wrote the books was dismissed for cause.

Here are some articles on his termination:

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/t...0&storyID=2169

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...97/ai_61834883
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Yea, alot of his stories in the book were simular to many things I can say happened at my place of work. Some of those things happen at every police department. I went on a ride along with PPD a few years back, and moral seemed fine to me. Although he no doubt would have suffered politically at the department, I personally think the department violated his First Amendment rights by firing him over the book. I wonder if he received a retirement, or did he win his arbitration?

Comment

I did a ride along with them several years ago. great department. Good equipment, good chief, lots of special details.

The only negatives is that you cant get time off for the holidays (everyone works the rose parade events)... and the retirement is 3 at 55... which is worse than everyone else in so cal right now. I don't want to work 5 years extra for nothing.
          Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Yup,,they told me the same thing. Everyone works new years eve, every year.

Comment

Originally posted by InlandEmpire View Post
              Yup,,they told me the same thing. Everyone works new years eve, every year.
              Yeah, it works every New Years Eve/Day because it's run by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department!

Seriously, PPD is a good department with great coppers run by a crummy city. Right now, the northwest part of the city that borders with Altadena is a shooting gallery. 4 murders in the last 3 months, numerous gang related shootings and a stabing this evening in the Kings Manor projects. Whenever there is a lull in the killings and PPD has coppers up in the northwest area doing proactive policing, they are labled as racist goons just out to kill the residents and scare the public. So they disappear to Old Town and then the killings start up again, and they are labled as racists who don't care about the low income areas. It's sad.

We who work stations bordering the city love their air unit (PD-1 or PD-2) since it's almost impossible to get a county airship up near the foothills!
              Carpe Noctem

Comment

Originally posted by EMVAMPYRE View Post
                Yeah, it works every New Years Eve/Day because it's run by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department!

Seriously, PPD is a good department with great coppers run by a crummy city. Right now, the northwest part of the city that borders with Altadena is a shooting gallery. 4 murders in the last 3 months, numerous gang related shootings and a stabing this evening in the Kings Manor projects. Whenever there is a lull in the killings and PPD has coppers up in the northwest area doing proactive policing, they are labled as racist goons just out to kill the residents and scare the public. So they disappear to Old Town and then the killings start up again, and they are labled as racists who don't care about the low income areas. It's sad.

We who work stations bordering the city love their air unit (PD-1 or PD-2) since it's almost impossible to get a county airship up near the foothills!
                Yea, I've been reading about PDL and ABC poppin' off lately. PPD always get's alot of grief from the Black community in n/w area. I grew up in Pasadena, and I'm very familiar with the ghetto there. So you call it Kings Manor too?? That's an ol' school term I havn't heard in a while. I have very interesting stories about that place growing up in Pasadena (70's and 80's)!

Comment

Yea, I've been reading about PDL and ABC poppin' off lately. PPD always get's alot of grief from the Black community in n/w area. I grew up in Pasadena, and I'm very familiar with the ghetto there. So you call it Kings Manor too?? That's an ol' school term I havn't heard in a while. I have very interesting stories about that place growing up in Pasadena (70's and 80's)!
                  I got in a lot of trouble a few years back in King's Manor, being too far south to claim "I followed them here sarge!". The PDL's (Pasadena Denver Lane Bloods for those not in the know) out number the ABC's (Altadena Bloc Crips) by quite a bit and they have been joined by Project Gangsters and Squiggly Lane Bloods in this little shooting party as of late. Last year it was the Mexican PVR vs. the PDL. They aren't killing each other off fast enough for my tastes, though...
                  Carpe Noctem

Comment

I got in a lot of trouble a few years back in King's Manor, being too far south to claim "I followed them here sarge!". The PDL's (Pasadena Denver Lane Bloods for those not in the know) out number the ABC's (Altadena Bloc Crips) by quite a bit and they have been joined by Project Gangsters and Squiggly Lane Bloods in this little shooting party as of late. Last year it was the Mexican PVR vs. the PDL. They aren't killing each other off fast enough for my tastes, though...
                    LOL..Pasadena's always been a city dominated by Bloods,,PDL is deeper than most Blood gangs,,always had the stronghold on Pasadena. I'm really surprised the ProJecks hooked back up with PDL,,because that skirmish was nasty for a while.

Comment

LOL..Pasadena's always been a city dominated by Bloods,,PDL is deeper than most Blood gangs,,always had the stronghold on Pasadena. I'm really surprised the ProJecks hooked back up with PDL,,because that skirmish was nasty for a while.
                      A while back (6 months, maybe less) the ProJecks and the Squigglies were fighting it out and they ran a-foul of the few remaining OG ABC gangsters. Well, there aren't too many ProJeck or Squigglies so they had a bit of a peace treaty meeting with PDL and now it's all red vs blue around here.
                      Carpe Noctem

Comment

A while back (6 months, maybe less) the ProJecks and the Squigglies were fighting it out and they ran a-foul of the few remaining OG ABC gangsters. Well, there aren't too many ProJeck or Squigglies so they had a bit of a peace treaty meeting with PDL and now it's all red vs blue around here.
                        I heard about that meeting at Jackie Robinson. Isn't that romantic?? Tying the knot again Well, as you probably know, many Squigglies moved out here to Rialto/Fontana/San Berdo area. I also happen to know that Palmdale and Lancaster are being blessed with the presence of the famed "Black Rag" ProJecks Anyway, you'll have to let me know how the Pasadena Raymonds fit in nowaday's.

Comment

Anybody got the scoop on PPD? I read two books written by a former Black officer there (Naum Ware)..and he didn't have alot of good things to say about PPD. He was fired after publishing the last one. The books (The Rose Garden and The Roses Have Thorns) were written a while ago. Curious if he was just a disgruntled cop, or was there merit to his complaints.

the Trendiest,upscale "ghetto" you'll ever patrol. Pasadena looks good,particularly its down town and strong economy and high cost housing,but that city has big time CRIME and gang problems-as the start of the san Gabriel Valley,I think only the south part of Altadena( near pas),duarte and Baldwin Park are worse,or at least equal in crime.The few PPD coppers i've run into-mostly off duty and while partying in their town, like the Dept and are go getters.And ,Yes, read the "rose garden"- funny,but most officers write "dirt" books only when they -themselves-are on the outs of the Dept.not saying the Dept didn't have problems.The Pre-Melekian era of Pasadena PD had charges of racism and brutality like a lot of depts, but I take stock in the officers who keep their noses clean and actually work to make the place better,not the "outsiders" who run into trouble,then want to cry "foul".Pasadena PD has a (250) officer dept,is about 24 sq miles and has a population of 150K(6th largest city in L.A. county),pay is avg for location- $55K to $70K/yr starting.The PPD officers go to LASD academy for training,so that should at least give you a gauge on the high quality of officers they expect at Pasadena-good luck on you applying,you'll find their website in the "U.S. agencies-california" section on this site.
                          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Grew up in 'Dena in the early '90s...sound like not much has changed!!
                            We are responsible for what we do unless we are celebrities......

Comment

You didn't go to John Muir did you? LOL!! Class of 87 Baby!! Never thought I'd see so many tuxedo's with red Chuck Taylors!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5711 users online. 396 members and 5315 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X