300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Copper
    commented on 's reply
    Since no one else has chimed in, I'll give it a try.

Have you been assigned a mentor? If so, reach out to that person. If not, all you can do is email your assigned background investigator and wait for him/her to get back to you.

Applying to a big city police department isn't like applying to Walmart, it takes a lot of time to go through the process. Plus, we still have lots of people applying with us, which means a lot of people might be ahead of you.

There are a multitude of factors that might be happening: Are you older and have a lot of background to go through? Are there any potential issues in your background that may hold you up or take time to sort through? Perhaps your references haven't been expeditious in returned their questionnaires. Maybe there's a lot of candidates who've applied before you and you're in the back of the line. Anything's possible.

What was the "no helpful answer" you were provided? Or was there no answer at all?

As I've suggested to others previously on this thread, be patient and keep preparing to be hired. Keep working out and keep learning things about the department and the city. If this is the job and department you want, it's worth the work and the wait. I've got a lot of time with this department and I have no regrets.

And no, I don't work recruiting, I work operations.
    Last edited by LA Copper; 01-15-2024, 08:57 AM.

• future LAPD
    replied
    Hello
    if anyone knows does the meet and greet happen before they start your background investigation or when they are almost done with your investigation. I have been in BI for three months I passed my poly but I have no clue whats going on with my BI, I tried to email my investigator but no helpful answer was provided. is there one anyone I can reach out to for the update on my case.

Leave a comment:

• PDstudent
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueLagoon
    Anybody know how long it can take to complete the background investigation? Had meet and greet a few months ago and still silent
    Several factors determine the 'how long'. Many posts here range from several weeks to 4-6 months and even longer. If your work history is limited, no criminal stuff and your references respond promptly to the BI- that helps speed up the process. If its the opposite, it'll take longer. Also, just know that many of the investigators are only working a couple days per week. Your BI should be able to let you know how your file is coming along. Also, its very speculative and lots of opinions here on this, but if you 'fit' what they're looking for, your file is going to move very quickly through each stage of the process. That does not mean however, that LAPD standards are compromised or lowered at any part of the process. It's true that only 5 out of every 100 applicants make it through the hiring process and into the academy. Only 4 out of those 5 will actually graduate. Best of luck to you!

Leave a comment:

• BlueLagoon
    replied
    Anybody know how long it can take to complete the background investigation? Had meet and greet a few months ago and still silent

Leave a comment:

• Graz0311
    replied
    Originally posted by anotherrecruit
    Has anyone heard rumors of the poly being scrapped? A couple weeks ago I got a call, from backgrounds I think, asking if I'm still interested in being a Police Officer. This comes 6 months or so after my poly deferral. It’s been silent since though so I'm not sure what to think.
    I just recently scheduled my PFQ and Department Interview. I asked if I needed to schedule to poly as well and they said if I pass the DI then I’d go straight to medical. It wasn’t very clear if I’d go through the poly at all. They made it seem like they want to keep everyone moving forward with the process and the poly scheduling is slowing down the pipeline. If I hear anything further I’ll update.

Leave a comment:

• PDstudent
    replied
    Originally posted by PDstudent

Seems unlikely that the LAPD would ever scrap the polygraph, even as controversial as it is. Your call was probably just part of the full court press for recruiting, but that's just speculation.

Our experience and observation with the LAPD hiring process is 'no stone is left unturned' with regards to candidates. Only 5 out of 100 get through the hiring process and into the Academy and only 4, of those 5, actually graduate.
    Well that would be good for you then. That might also make sense, that they're not getting rid of the polygraph but maybe cutting down the time between allowing re-takes?. Keep your chin up and stay positive. Lots of stories out there about mishaps with it and ultimately passing. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• anotherrecruit
    commented on 's reply
    I would have thought the same but the call was made by a detective and the way it was worded suggested that the process may be opening up sooner than my deferral period.

• anotherrecruit
    commented on 's reply
    If someone were able to pass an extensive background investigation but didn't do well on a poly, does it really matter?

• PDstudent
    replied
    Has anyone heard rumors of the poly being scrapped? A couple weeks ago I got a call, from backgrounds I think, asking if I'm still interested in being a Police Officer. This comes 6 months or so after my poly deferral. Its been silent since though so I'm not sure what to think.
    Seems unlikely that the LAPD would ever scrap the polygraph, even as controversial as it is. Your call was probably just part of the full court press for recruiting, but that's just speculation.

Our experience and observation with the LAPD hiring process is 'no stone is left unturned' with regards to candidates. Only 5 out of 100 get through the hiring process and into the Academy and only 4, of those 5, actually graduate.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Has anyone heard rumors of the poly being scrapped? A couple weeks ago I got a call, from backgrounds I think, asking if I'm still interested in being a Police Officer. This comes 6 months or so after my poly deferral. Its been silent since though so I'm not sure what to think.
    I sure as Hell wouldn't want to work alongside officers that didn't pass a poly...

Leave a comment:

• anotherrecruit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eRAM1217
    commented on 's reply
    May academy is next week! I’ll pm you!

• LAblue13
    replied
    Hello all new member here I wanted to know if anyone had info on upcoming academy? May and June are still taking people? Thanks in advance!!

Leave a comment:

• BlueLagoon
    commented on 's reply
    Amazing! If you don’t mind me asking, how long did your background investigation take?

• Blackbird85
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats, good luck at the academy.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20813 users online. 61 members and 20752 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...