Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious my BI emailed me this morning and stated that my file has been reassigned for review and someone should contact me soon. Not sure what this means?

Let me know your opinions I appreciate it..

Comment

• BlueLagoon
      BlueLagoon
      Forum Member
      BlueLagoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Im assuming he finished your file and passed it along to the hiring board.

How long did you background take?

• BlueLagoon
    Forum Member
    BlueLagoon I started Backgrounds in May 2021 and sat for there 3 months. Then in August my references got emails to fill out, then BI called me to set up an appointment to speak with him to clarify an item that came up in my Background. We spoke about it and he said he was going to write up his report and submit to his supervisor. This was about 3 weeks ago and this morning is when he sent that email stating that "My file has been reassigned for review and someone will be in contact with you". I spoke to my recruiter about the email from my BI and the item that come up in my Background he said this does happen when they are reviewing my file and that I shouldn't be concerned about it.

I would think if they wanted to DQ me they would have done it already?

Comment

• AvidHiker98
      AvidHiker98
      Forum Member
      AvidHiker98 commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct- nothing to worry about.

After your BG is finished, it gets passed to two or three different people to review it and approve/decline it. I wouldn't worry about it. It took me about a week to hear back after it was submitted.

• I know everyone’s background and timeline is different, but I wanted some insight on a possible time frame.
    Neighbor notified me that he received a reference letter from my investigator, but none of my references have been contacted. Been in background since beginning of September. Any thoughts on how much longer?

Comment

• Thanks I appreciate the responses. Honestly your background can be quick or long. I think it depends on the background investigator. Just keep working out and be prepared.

Comment

• Update I just got a call and my BI got reassigned to another Investigator. Going in next week for another Interview. Any updates on Academy life?

Comment

• BlueLagoon
          BlueLagoon
          Forum Member
          BlueLagoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I wonder if the new investigator picks up where the old one left off.. or do they have to start all over?

• Yeah I'm not sure, I hope they don't start over. I'll let you guys know after I have the meeting.

Comment

• Question for anyone in the group. Does anyone know on possible academy dates for December or January?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christopher_0369 View Post
          Question for anyone in the group. Does anyone know on possible academy dates for December or January?
          Academies start every fifth Monday. I believe the last one started on October 25 so take it from there, although keep in mind, Christmas and New Years might throw those dates off by a day or two.

Comment

• BlueLagoon
          Forum Member
          BlueLagoon I had my meeting with the new BI (supervisor). Everything went good I will be reassigned to my original BI. Still waiting to hear from him so he can finish my file. Any update on your process?

Comment

• BlueLagoon
            BlueLagoon
            Forum Member
            BlueLagoon commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! That is good news. I am waiting to retake my medical exam. They paused my background process since my medical exam expired. Just another hoop to cross over

• any updates for everyone going through the process?

Comment

• Hey all,

brand new to the website. I have a question in regards to the medical exam. I am working tirelessly to lose body fat as fast as I can by dieting and working out. Does anyone know how they administer the body fat test I know it’s a pinch test but is it 3- site pinch or 7 site? Or have they changed the method?

I have my department interview on Tuesday and really excited to move forward in the process!

Comment

• AvidHiker98
              AvidHiker98
              Forum Member
              AvidHiker98 commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s a 3-point caliper test.

Good luck with your interview.

• L.A.Tacos
              L.A.Tacos
              Forum Member
              L.A.Tacos commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s odd,In my medical test I didn’t get my body fat administered. Maybe because I hit a certain weight for my height witch was about 125lb. And height is 5’4

• Starting DP 4 on Monday. This is the halfway point. Taser day absolutely sucked, but it was just five seconds of my life.

We have learned a ton of information thus far. This DP there is a heavy focus on DV, drugs, shotguns, and mental illness.

We are essentially done doing PT at this point. We train maybe once per week, but it’s rare. Lots of arcon (grappling, strikes, weapon retention) instead.

Next month we break up into smaller groups (about 1/4 of the class per group) and go into night watch rotations and start EVOC.

Then, it’s just scenario testing before we hit the streets.

Folks, the academy goes by FAST. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult, but there is a lot of information thrown at you & it all stacks. For ex- if you struggle with a crime broadcast in week 5, you’re screwed in week 11 when you do ADW scenarios.

Good luck to everyone currently in the process.

Comment

• Clopez
              Clopez
              Forum Member
              Clopez commented
              Editing a comment
              We’re getting tased this DP. Im not looking forward to it. Any advice lol?

• Avid Hiker,

I've cleaned out almost all of my Private Messages and apparently it still doesn't work right. I don't know what the issue is. I'm sorry about that.

You can try sending your questions here if you want to.

Comment

• AvidHiker98
              AvidHiker98
              Forum Member
              AvidHiker98 commented
              Editing a comment
              We are submitting our top 3 wishlist for probation divisions sometime during this DP. I'm from the valley, so I would like to stay somewhat local.

Topanga would be too boring and I don't think I'd learn much other than how to conduct a traffic stop.

Van Nuys might be good (lots of ADWs recently according to LAPD Crime Map), but I don't want to deal with prostitution all day.

Ideally, North Hollywood would be my top pick today. I feel like there would be a good mix of everything without being overly busy like Newton/77.

And I don't want to do DEV for probation, because I believe you move div's afterwards and I would like to end up DEV for the remainder of my career.

I've asked instructors in the academy for their recommendations and they all recommend staying away from the valley because of how "boring" it is. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

• Keep in mind, you may or may not get one of your choices out of the academy. I didn't but others have. It will all depend on the needs of the department at the time you graduate. They generally try to give you one of your choices, especially if it's not too far from home but that doesn't always happen. Keep your fingers crossed. (I highly recommend that if you live in the Valley, you don't work in the same division you live in.)

That being said and while others may disagree with me, I would avoid Devonshire, Topanga, and West Valley, especially for your probation division. Plus, if you're gonna want to stay at Devonshire the rest of your career, you might as well have gone to Simi Valley or Burbank PDs.... but if that's what you want, that's up to you, everybody's different.

If you want to stay in the Valley, I would recommend one of the busier and more violent divisions. Mission, Foothill, North Hollywood and Van Nuys in that order. Keep in mind you are going to "Wheel" out of your probationary division to a different division after about a year. I would HIGHLY recommend going "over the hill" to anywhere in Central Bureau or South Bureau. Or, Hollywood, Olympic, and Wilshire Divisions in West Bureau.

Police work "over the hill" is completely different than in the Valley. I've done both sides of "the hill" and would absolutely choose the "other side." You could always come back to the Valley after getting a few years behind you in the busier divisions. You'll learn a lot in the busier divisions and could bring that knowledge back to the Valley if you go there.

As a P-1, you won't be dealing with prostitution all day in Van Nuys, it doesn't work that way in Patrol. You may have to assist Vice once in a while but that's it.

Not all of the Valley is boring. While anything can happen in any division, the ones I referenced to avoid are the slowest, with Devonshire being the slowest of the slow in the Valley. (West LA is the West Bureau equivalent of the slowest.) There is hardly any gang related crime in either of those three divisions. Mission and Foothill have a lot of it, which is why it's more interesting to work there. Gang stuff helps to make working for the LAPD, more interesting and exciting.

Everybody's different but if I were to make a recommendation, I would say Mission, Foothill or North Hollywood for your probation. Then you could Wheel to Hollywood, Rampart or Newton. That's my 25+ years of being on the job recommendation for you and the other folks on here.

Do you or anyone else have other questions?

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Copper View Post

Do you or anyone else have other questions?
              Hey I had a question if you don't mind. What exactly does LAPD look for in an applicant? I'm currently in University in Pomona and should be done within a year. When should I apply? I currently have an associates in psychology.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3563 users online. 220 members and 3343 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X