• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Destiny09
    Forum Member

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    Sloan2013,

My written exam was set to expire in 20 days. I applied online in order to receive the code needed for the MC test but haven't taken the test yet. I checked 2 days ago and it was changed to 199 days left to expire and hasn't been changed back as of today....I'm sure it's a glitch of some sort but not sure??
  • Destiny09
    Forum Member

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    Bluelagoon,

It would be easier to reside around the academy then commuting back and fourth. Which county do you live in? How far along are you in the background process?
  • BlueLagoon
    Forum Member

• BlueLagoon
    commented on 's reply
    This happened to me too. I thought it meant I was disqualified from the process. I guess not!
  • Sloan2013
    Forum Member

• Sloan2013
    replied
    Anyone else having a glitch on their LAPD portal where it's not showing anything checked off anymore in the 7 steps and the status check section shows not set?

Leave a comment:

• BlueLagoon
    Forum Member

• BlueLagoon
    commented on 's reply
    I live somewhat far too. Once I get my academy start date, assuming I pass backgrounds, I'd be open to renting an apartment with another trainee as well
  • Destiny09
    Forum Member

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    What have been the work hours roughly since you started the academy?

Are a lot of recruits commuting? I live in riverside county and have been contemplating renting an apartment near the academy or commuting daily...
  • AvidHiker98
    Forum Member

• AvidHiker98
    commented on 's reply
    Lester, this is all fantastic info. I really appreciate it.

Much different than what I had envisioned. Thanks & good luck with the rest of your academy
  • Lester Marten
    Forum Member

• Lester Marten
    commented on 's reply
    The academy is similar to entry-level military training (just much less intense). You’ll do some push-ups here and there when someone messes up, but its usually not more than 25 at a time. One challenge is getting 58 people from different backgrounds and all ages on the same page. There is a huge variety of ability levels, in terms of physical fitness, command presence, and ability to follow instructions. We have ages ranging from 21 to 42. Some recruits have very little work experience, while others have several years in a variety of fields. Most have no military experience. We have a handful of recruits who are veterans with anywhere from 4 to 22 years of service behind them.

During week 1 you get yelled at a lot by the DIs, but the physical fitness aspect of it isn’t that tough. We’re not doing the PFQ in the academy, but at some point, in the first week we did a Physical Fitness Assessment. The PFA isn’t scored, so you can’t fail it. They said that it’s a tool just to monitor our progress throughout the academy. Unlike past Academies, we do very little running. The longest we’ve run is only 3 miles and that was at a pretty easy pace. The majority of the workouts are HIIT style workouts. Think, burpies, kettlebell swings, bear crawl, and other calisthenics and core exercises. A lot of the PT is self-paced, so the intensity depends on how hard you push yourself. However, it you are obviously sandbagging, you’ll get called out. I believe they do these types of self-paced workouts because of how different the ability levels are. There are some who are in excellent condition, and others who look like they never worked out a day in their life.

I study about an hour a night, and we’ve met up with each other on the weekends for study groups. They also have “study halls” before and after watch. These aren’t mandatory, but they’re “highly recommended.” With the study halls and everything else, you can find yourself pretty tired at the end of the day. I usually catch up on sleep on the weekend.

Another thing that sounds pretty simple is water bottles. They want the class to be uniform, so we all had to buy the same bottle. One recruit suggested this 1-gallon bottle that they saw on amazon. Some made in China piece of crap, that cost almost $30. Keep in mind we have to carry this thing pretty much everywhere, in addition to all the other stuff. After about a week peoples bottles started breaking and leaking. My recommendation is that when your class decides on a water bottle, keep it simple and just get a Nalgene.

So far, we’ve spent most of our time at ARTC. I got an apartment a couple miles away, so that makes my drive pretty easy. We’re at Davis a couple times a week. Those days can get long with the commute. But that all depends on where you live. There are recruits commuting a couple hours each way.

No one in our class has been dropped or quit. Hopefully it stays that way, but statistically speaking, that is unlikely. They told us that most of the drops occur when we start qualifying with the pistol.

I would say the best thing you can do is to make sure you’re in good physical condition before the academy. Also memorize the easy stuff now, so you don’t have to worry about it when you arrive. (Mission of the LAPD, LAPD Core values, Law Enforcement Code of Ethics, etc.)

Also, take care of any personal things before the academy (vehicle registration, doctor’s appointments, etc) since you won’t have must time during the day for that stuff. Make sure your vehicle is in compliance with the California Vehicle Code. A lot of people got in trouble for their tints.
  • AvidHiker98
    Forum Member

• AvidHiker98
    commented on 's reply
    What is the academy like? I've tried to find as many YT videos as possible, but only the basics.

In week 1 do they just make you sprint until you puke?

How much studying are you doing outside of class? Are you spending your weekends prepping for the exams?

How many people in your class have already dropped out?

What is something that you wish you knew going into the academy that would've better prepared you?
  • Lester Marten
    Forum Member

• Lester Marten
    replied
    Congrats! I'm in the July class. Let me know if you have any questions.

Leave a comment:

• Clopez
    Forum Member

• Clopez
    commented on 's reply
    Congratulations! I hope I get the call for the September academy! I’m done with everything as well, and I recently cleared backgrounds the second time.
  • AvidHiker98
    Forum Member

• AvidHiker98
    commented on 's reply
    Destiny09
    Forum Member
    Destiny09- Originally certified in late December 2020/ early January 2021.

Then had to redo PFQ in May 2021, redid interview in mid-June 2021, redid medical exam in late June 2021, and started the background check about 5 weeks ago. Submitted fingerprints and insurance info, etc all the same week.
  • NY2LA
    Forum Member

• NY2LA
    commented on 's reply
    Congratulations
  • Destiny09
    Forum Member

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats man! How long were you certified before you received the call?
  • Sloan2013
    Forum Member

• Sloan2013
    replied
    Is there a way to delete a post?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3267 users online. 217 members and 3050 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X