300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kflo01 View Post

Your normal uniforms are pretty sharp. I like em.
    Thank you, me too

Comment

• Destiny09
      Destiny09 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Your always responsive with detailed information, we all appreciate it!

You're very welcome. We're not perfect but but we try and I'm very proud to be a member of my department. Hopefully you all will be as well once you're all hired!

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

• BlueLagoon
      BlueLagoon commented
      Editing a comment
      LA Copper, have you ever thought of lateraling on over to another department?

No, never considered it and never wanted to. Everything I want is with the LAPD, although it would be nice to get a larger paycheck. We do everything you can think of in police work. The weather is great in LA. The City is 468 square miles. We have Hollyweird.

LAPD was the first and only department I've been with and while it can get a bit frustrating at times, I've been very happy in my 30+ years here. Wouldn't want to work anyplace else.... but that's just me, other people would probably have a different opinion.

During the course of a year, we'll have a number of officers leave our department and lateral someplace else. 94% of them come back within the first year.

Comment

• Destiny09
      Destiny09 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol...."Hollyweird".

I read somewhere that LAPD loses roughly between 400-500 officers a year due to retirements, resignations, injuries etc.....does that number sound right?

• BlueLagoon
      BlueLagoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that LAPD officers deserve higher pay. LAPD officers face greater risks daily and aren't compensated enough in my opinion. Nonetheless, I grew up watching "Adam 12" and it's always been my dream to work for LAPD regardless of pay. Its refreshing to see people in the badge who stick with the LA department despite all the "negative" aspects associated with policing these days

Up until recently, our average loss of officers was around 350 officers per year. This past year the numbers you mentioned above are probably about right.

Officers in every department, but especially the big city departments, deserve to earn more money, not just LAPD officers. When you put your safety and your life at risk on a daily basis, we deserve to earn more in my opinion. It's ridiculous to think that someone who stands on a stage and sings songs (for example) earns a lot more money than a police officer who continuously runs towards danger to help complete strangers.

But hey, we didn't come on this job to get rich.... but it would be nice!

Comment

Received the academy call this morning!

Orientation is Wednesday, September 22.

Academy starts Monday, September 27.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats man! How long were you certified before you received the call?

• NY2LA
        NY2LA commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations

• AvidHiker98
        AvidHiker98 commented
        Editing a comment
        Destiny09- Originally certified in late December 2020/ early January 2021.

Then had to redo PFQ in May 2021, redid interview in mid-June 2021, redid medical exam in late June 2021, and started the background check about 5 weeks ago. Submitted fingerprints and insurance info, etc all the same week.

• Clopez
        Clopez commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations! I hope I get the call for the September academy! I’m done with everything as well, and I recently cleared backgrounds the second time.

Congrats! Good luck man, I know you've been waiting a while for this!

Comment

Is there a way to delete a post?

Comment

Congrats! I'm in the July class. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

• BlueLagoon
            BlueLagoon commented
            Editing a comment
            I live somewhat far too. Once I get my academy start date, assuming I pass backgrounds, I'd be open to renting an apartment with another trainee as well

• Destiny09
            Destiny09 commented
            Editing a comment
            Bluelagoon,

It would be easier to reside around the academy then commuting back and fourth. Which county do you live in? How far along are you in the background process?

• Destiny09
            Destiny09 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lester Marten,

Thanks for the info!

I know It will vary from person to person but what's the take home pay more or less in the academy? I completely understand if you don't feel comfortable answering.

• AvidHiker98
            AvidHiker98 commented
            Editing a comment
            @Destiny09:

https://www.joinlapd.com/salary

You are paid $33.91/hr while in the academy. Base pay and benefits are the same for every recruit officer.

Anyone else having a glitch on their LAPD portal where it's not showing anything checked off anymore in the 7 steps and the status check section shows not set?

Comment

• BlueLagoon
            BlueLagoon commented
            Editing a comment
            This happened to me too. I thought it meant I was disqualified from the process. I guess not!

• Destiny09
            Destiny09 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sloan2013,

My written exam was set to expire in 20 days. I applied online in order to receive the code needed for the MC test but haven't taken the test yet. I checked 2 days ago and it was changed to 199 days left to expire and hasn't been changed back as of today....I'm sure it's a glitch of some sort but not sure??

• Clopez
            Clopez commented
            Editing a comment
            Destiny09,
            Just curious, are you already certified and just waiting for an academy date?

• Destiny09
            Destiny09 commented
            Editing a comment
            Clopez,

I'm still in backgrounds. I spoke with my BI and was told that my background was complete on her end and will make its way up for approval. Once it's approved, I'll be able to schedule psych then hopefully make the certified list. How about yourself?

Guys, keep in mind you'll be going back and forth between the two academy sites, the one near LAX (ARTC) and the one in Granada Hills (Davis), which is the far north end of the Valley. Both are just off the 405 Freeway and are about 30 miles apart.

If I remember correctly, you'll spend about 55% of your time at ARTC and about 45% of your time at Davis. Maybe you can find something close to the 405, just so your commute is easier.

Generally your start of watch is around 0530, although recruits are usually there by 0500, just to make sure they aren't late. Your end of watch is usually around 1430. That means you usually beat traffic both ways, although nowadays traffic can be found at any time of day. The 405 carpool lane would be a big help if some of you could find a meeting place and carpool together.

If you haven't already, I suggest you get up early a few mornings and try making the drive to both ARTC and Davis, just so you'll have a better idea of what the drive will be like once you're in the academy. The last thing you want to do is be late, that wouldn't be good. Same thing for the drive home, although that's not as important as the drive in since you won't have a DI waiting for you at home.........

Fyi, At Davis, you'll be doing Tactics, Shooting, and EVOC. At ARTC, you'll be doing PT, Self Defense stuff, and academics. (The fun stuff is at Davis!)

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
            Guys, keep in mind you'll be going back and forth between the two academy sites, the one near LAX (ARTC) and the one in Granada Hills (Davis), which is the far north end of the Valley. Both are just off the 405 Freeway and are about 30 miles apart.

If I remember correctly, you'll spend about 55% of your time at ARTC and about 45% of your time at Davis. Maybe you can find something close to the 405, just so your commute is easier.

Generally your start of watch is around 0530, although recruits are usually there by 0500, just to make sure they aren't late. Your end of watch is usually around 1430. That means you usually beat traffic both ways, although nowadays traffic can be found at any time of day. The 405 carpool lane would be a big help if some of you could find a meeting place and carpool together.

If you haven't already, I suggest you get up early a few mornings and try making the drive to both ARTC and Davis, just so you'll have a better idea of what the drive will be like once you're in the academy. The last thing you want to do is be late, that wouldn't be good. Same thing for the drive home, although that's not as important as the drive in since you won't have a DI waiting for you at home.........

Fyi, At Davis, you'll be doing Tactics, Shooting, and EVOC. At ARTC, you'll be doing PT, Self Defense stuff, and academics. (The fun stuff is at Davis!)
            Damn this thread is crazy helpful and I'm not even in the process. I got some help from a forum member for the academy and department I am starting in Oct but La cooper is giving a wealth of info. You guys are lucking out. Glad I subscribed!

Comment

• Destiny09
              Destiny09 commented
              Editing a comment
              LA Copper is definitely the MVP!

We should be helping each other out so I'm happy to do so. Feel free to ask if anyone has other questions.

Comment

• Clopez
              Clopez commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello! I had a question, do you know if they usually send academy calls at the end of the week or the beginning of the week?

I would think they'd make those calls whenever they have someone who has completed the process but I can't say for sure. Maybe some of the other folks on here who have received one of those calls can answer that question, or if a few people answer, we can see if there is or isn't a pattern.
            Last edited by LA Copper; 08-19-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
              I would think they'd make those calls whenever they have someone who has completed the process but I can't say for sure. Maybe some of the other folks on here who have received one of those calls can answer that question, or if a few people answer, we can see if there is or isn't a pattern.
              What is the max age to start with LAPD if you have no leo experience? What is the max age if you have a 1-3 years and want to lateral from out of state?

Comment

The max age is 100, figuratively speaking. We have no max age so give it a try.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3645 users online. 216 members and 3429 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X