Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone get a call for the August class yet?

Comment

• AvidHiker98
      AvidHiker98 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not. Fingers crossed. If you hear anything, please post here and keep us all updated!

If you haven't done so already, set aside some funds for your initial gear purchase. I had orientation last Wednesday and spend about $750. Be prepared to drop up to $1000 at orientation (depending on what you need)

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      What gear? Don't they issue you stuff?

• Lester Marten
      Lester Marten commented
      Editing a comment
      No, they didn't issue us gear. We had to buy things like academy uniforms, PT gear, boots, etc. They make recommendations on the amount of stuff that you'll need, but it was up to us to get what we thought we would need. For example, I didn't buy shirt stays, because I already have a bunch from my time in the military. Also I already have plain white socks for PT so I didn't need to buy more from their store.
      Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-08-2021, 08:52 PM.

Not uncommon. I'm starting this month, same thing, uniforms, PT gear, other odds, and ends. Cost def can start to pile up buying multiple of everything. They tell you the brand and model number for the uniform, PT gear they tell you the color etc etc.
    I figured that was the norm but I also don't know what other places do. Would the more experienced people here say purchasing your own gear for the academy is the norm or not the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by kflo01 View Post
      Not uncommon. I'm starting this month, same thing, uniforms, PT gear, other odds, and ends. Cost def can start to pile up buying multiple of everything. They tell you the brand and model number for the uniform, PT gear they tell you the color etc etc.
      I figured that was the norm but I also don't know what other places do. Would the more experienced people here say purchasing your own gear for the academy is the norm or not the norm?
      I was issued everything but socks and underwear.

Comment

I received a call for august 2nd class. There will be another one august 28 they said. Every 28 days they’re trying to make a class.

Comment

• Sloan2013
          Sloan2013 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for letting us know

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you don't mind me asking, what was your PFQ score?

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          LAPD candidate,

Nice, congratulations! How long was your background investigation? I haven't heard back from my BI and I've been in backgrounds since 1/28/21

My pfq was 58% however I heard from June’s class that they’re not going based off pfq scores anymore.

Comment

• JerseyCHP
          JerseyCHP commented
          Editing a comment
          What do they go by being call first for the academy if not by PFQ scores?

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          They said they look at your whole application and take different things into consideration when selecting candidates for each academy class. Things they consider would be work history, background, education, military experience, past leadership experience, etc.

• OSH93
          OSH93 commented
          Editing a comment
          I had my first background meeting on 05/04/2021 and I have not heard back from my BI. Just curious if anyone knows when the BI will reach out to neighbor references etc?

Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-22-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• ryguy657
          ryguy657 commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I ask how the PT is and does that mean there won't be a PFQ the third day? I start august 2nd so I'm curious what to expect.

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-22-2021, 10:47 PM.

I received a call today from my background investigator who said, "[name] are you still interested in pursuing a career with the Los Angeles Police Department?" I almost jumped up and down! I said to myself that this is finally it.

Then he said, "I am reviewing your background packet and we need you to come to DTLA and redo your fingerprints."

I guess I should've known that the academy call would be from the recruitment division. I got ahead of myself.

But while I was down there today, I ran into someone who said he has been certified since mid-2019 and still doesn't have an academy date! That's rough.

Comment

• LBR
          LBR commented
          Editing a comment
          Same thing happened to me today. I got an email from my background investigator saying I need to update and redo the paperwork. Also have to go on Monday to do re fingerprint. I’ve been certified since September 2020. Hopefully this will be the month !

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          LBR have you heard anything from your background investigator? I'm hoping the re-do isn't another 3 month process

• OSH93
          OSH93 commented
          Editing a comment
          AvidHiker98 Do you know how long it took for your BI to reach out to your neighbors and reference's ?
          It seems like some candidates go through the whole process twice and then get picked up for an academy..

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          OSH93-

I went in for fingerprints and paperwork on 7/14/2021. He emailed references on 7/20/2021. He then said he heard back from enough people to move to the next step on 7/21/2021, so I re-submitted auto insurance, proof of accident/driver history, etc.

So took about one week.

AvidHiker98 Ok thank you for letting me know, strange I went in for my interview/paperwork for BI interview on 05/09/2021 and he asked me to send him my neighbor references by email and he responded that he received my references and that he has everything he needs.. still haven't heard anything back and my neighbor/references haven't received anything yet... does that sound normal?

Comment

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          OSH93 Yeah, I would reach out to him and check in

• OSH93
          OSH93 commented
          Editing a comment
          AvidHiker98 Thanks I left a message and an email. I appreciate your feed back. Fingers crossed I'll let you know if anything else comes up. Good luck to you.

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          OSH93,

I've been in the background process since 1/28/21. My BI spoke to my wife on the phone back in April and told her she had everything she needed and was getting ready to wrap up my background. I haven't heard from my BI since. I've e mailed her a couple times with no response. I'm assuming she completed my background since she's basically ignoring me lol....I think you should try reaching out, it won't hurt but like everyone tells me, no news is good news so you could be waiting a while..

• OSH93
          OSH93 commented
          Editing a comment
          Destiny09 Thank you for letting me know.. I will let you know if i get any update.

Called recruitment this morning.

Both August classes have now been filled. They are unsure if September will also have two classes.

Comment

• Clopez
          Clopez commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve been waiting for a date as well. I’m certified and eager to hopefully start soon! Do you have any info on if they will have a September academy?

Allegedly, there will be a class each month for the rest of the year..... that is, if the City Council provides the funds each month. The money thing is up to them, not the department, which means we're at their mercy so to speak.

Fyi, a new class starts every fifth Monday.. The next one should be August 30.

Comment

• BlueLagoon
          BlueLagoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello LA Copper, I was assigned a background investigator 2-3 weeks ago, but he has not made contact with me –– I am sure he is very busy. With that being said, the backgrounds division gave me his contact information and told me to give him a call.

Is this typical? In other words, should I be the one to make first contact? Or should I leave him alone and let him reach out to me when he's ready?

• Lalala123.
          Lalala123. commented
          Editing a comment
          BlueLagoon It's completely normal, It took my BI almost 2 months to reach out

I don't work Backgrounds so I don't know what the exact protocol is. The other folks on here who have been through the process can probably give you a better idea about that.

However, I can tell you now that we started hiring again, the background folks have been really busy with folks from all over the country applying with us. We do need to hire people so you can pretty much guarantee that they will get to you soon enough. I know it's hard to be patient but that's what I recommend to everyone viewing this thread who hasn't been hired yet.

We are an agency of 10,000 sworn. Violent crime stats are up big time. I know some people have been taken from "desk jobs" and put back in the field to help out. Backgrounds and Recruitment are considered "desk jobs" which might explain the delay.

Maybe give it until mid week next week and if you haven't heard anything by then, then give them a call. In the meantime, prepare yourself for the day when the academy does come. There's lots of stuff you (and everyone trying to get hired with us) can do. I've mentioned some things earlier in the thread.

Good luck.

Comment

• BlueLagoon
          BlueLagoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I truly appreciate your insight. All of your responses are very informative and give me peace of mind. I was an explorer and cadet in my younger years so I hope my experience pays off. Thank you LA Copper

If you were a cadet in your younger days, make sure you expound upon that during your interview. Let the Board know that you know more and have done more than the average candidate. That will surely help.

For anyone else looking to be hired by the LAPD, if you have any questions about the department and or the job itself, feel free to ask. Now's the time to get as much information as possible. Also, check out the Department's website, there is plenty of good information there.

LAPDONLINE.ORG

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          @bluelagoon,

I've been in backgrounds since January so I may be able to shed some light on the process. I was given my BI contact info as well and i decided to make contact with her first. Luckily, she was cool and didn't take it as me over stepping even though I kinda felt like I was. Once I made contact my background essentially began and we set up an appointment over the phone to conduct the meet & greet. At that point your BI will go over your PHS and send you different e mails containing documents you need to sign and notarize and send back. Your BI will also send you more questionnaires to complete and will need you to provide 2 neighboring references. Hope this helps, any questions let me know.

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Copper,

Question in regards to uniform. I mainly see LAPD officers wearing two different style uniforms. One with long sleeve, tie and no patches and the other is long sleeve, no tie and the uniform does contain patches.

Just curious on the two different uniforms I see. Is one strictly for patrol and the other for different units?

One is the "normal" LAPD uniform, the other is the BDU style we were allowed to wear when Covid hit. Officers were given a choice of which they want to wear because of Covid.

The "normal" uniform has to be dry cleaned, which can get expensive when done often. The BDU uniform can be washed at home and does not need to be dry cleaned. Once the Covid thing is over (hopefully sooner rather than later) we'll be going back to everyone wearing the "normal" uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
          One is the "normal" LAPD uniform, the other is the BDU style we were allowed to wear when Covid hit. Officers were given a choice of which they want to wear because of Covid.

The "normal" uniform has to be dry cleaned, which can get expensive when done often. The BDU uniform can be washed at home and does not need to be dry cleaned. Once the Covid thing is over (hopefully sooner rather than later) we'll be going back to everyone wearing the "normal" uniform.
          Your normal uniforms are pretty sharp. I like em.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4973 users online. 314 members and 4659 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X