300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny09,

I believe my background took about 30-60 days after I gave my background investigator all of the information they asked for. Keep in mind though this was last year back in May and times were different, I believe it right before all the budget cuts happened.

Comment

• Destiny09
      Destiny09 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sloan2013,

Cool, thanks for the reply. Hope you get the call soon!

Thank you LA Copper so if classes start on July 5th then calls should go out two weeks before possibly anytime between now and the 21st I'm guessing.
    Last edited by Sloan2013; 06-03-2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloan2013 View Post
      Thank you LA Copper so if classes start on July 5th then calls should go out two weeks before possibly anytime between now and the 21st I'm guessing.
      Calls could go out anytime between now and the Friday before July 5. Nothing would surprise me so be prepared.

Comment

I received the call yesterday. I was told the start date is now Tuesday July 6th.

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lester Marten,

Nice! Congrats!

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          Destiny09,

Thanks!
          Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-12-2021, 05:59 PM.

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lester marten,

Wow congrats again! Sounds like you definitely had to overcome multiple obstacles in the hiring process but you displayed a good amount of perseverance! Majority of applicants would of tapped out and wouldn't of wanted to go through the entire process multiple times. I'm still in backgrounds and have been since January, hopefully my background clears so I can become certified.

Have they gave you guys any other information in regards to your academy schedule etc?

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          Destiny09,

My background investigation seemed to take a while too, but the investigators are handling multiple applicant files at any given time. After our initial meeting, the only time I heard from my investigator was when he needed something from me, like when he let me know that he hadn't heard back from a couple of my references. I had to call them up and remind them to complete the questionnaire . Other than that, the only time I heard from him was when he was finishing everything up.

Other than the start date and orientation date, I haven't received any other information regarding the academy schedule. I do have to go back to medical the week prior to orientation to take a TB test.

To put you guys a bit more at ease, like I mentioned before, we have many many people applying from all over the country. Plus, we normally put an academy class of 50 ish through almost every month, not counting Covid. That keeps our background investigators pretty busy so don't worry if you don't hear from them for a few weeks. Keep in mind we have close to 10,000 sworn and 3,000 civilians; that's a lot of people to keep up with. As long as our budget is not affected anymore, we hopefully will get back to "normal" and start putting classes through... but that's up to the City Council, not the Department.

We use a 28-day deployment system (DP) so our academy classes usually start every 5th Monday. The orientation for each class is usually the Wednesday prior and it's usually held at ARTC (near LAX).

I can't emphasize enough, do what you can to prepare yourselves for the academy. There are too many people who come in who are not in good physical shape and say they had no idea what to expect. Our department manual is online on our website, lapdonline.org

There's lots of info there that will help you in the academy. Keep up with the workouts and the reading.

Good luck.
        Last edited by LA Copper; 06-07-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it's probably that way all over.

Different agency, but in my academy, there were a number of recruits that thought that just because they were able to meet the minimum physical agility standards to get hired, that they were good to go. And this was in spite of everyone being told repeatedly beforehand, to RUN, RUN, RUN.

There were a few that quit or were dropped on our very first day of PT.

There were a few more that earned the rest of our class a lot of punishment- we would like to have pushed them into the path of a bus. Some of them quit, and some of them actually got into shape (at our expense), but none of them graduated, because they had destroyed any possibility of becoming part of the class in terms of teamwork.

• Christopher_0369
          Christopher_0369 commented
          Editing a comment
          So next academy class after July 6th, should be sometime in August? Correct?

As I mentioned above, the academy classes are currently at the mercy of the City Council and whether or not they are going to budget the classes. However, if they do decide to provide the funds, the next class would be scheduled for August 2.

Comment

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for all the information you provide!

Congrats Lester Marten on the call. I called recruitment yesterday and they said that all the calls for the academy class for July went out last week. Recruitment also told me that it’s is full and there will be one in august depending on the city council approval on the budget.

How accurate is this information about the July class being full already ? I though calls would go out 2 weeks prior the start date. I’ve been certified since September 2020 and I had to redo the process again because of my test parts expiring. I have to take the múltiple choice test soon since it expires in august 8. I also have to redo the psych evaluation in September if I don’t get appointed.

when would be a good time to take the multiple choice since it expires in August 8 and there might be a academy class in the beginning in August ? Should I take the test 2 weeks prior the expiration date ?

Thank you everyone for the helpful information.

Comment

• Sloan2013
          Sloan2013 commented
          Editing a comment
          I would call them up and see if you could just take it now to get it out of the way. I have also been certified since last year and had to redo everything. When I retook the multiple choice test it only took a day or 2 to process the results. Also don't worry about having to take the psych exam again that does not need to be redone just the PHS which did take about 2 weeks to process through my background investigator again. Hope this helps.

Thank you Sloan2013

Recruitment made it seem like it takes weeks for the multiple choice to get the code and get the result. When I redid my medical they told us if we weren’t appointed before our psych evaluation then we would have to retake the psych exam again.

I always like asking different people because I always get different answers regarding academy classes and the process.

Comment

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't remember exactly how long it took to get the multiple choice test results, but it was pretty quick. Definitely not weeks. Also, we were told that once you pass psych, you shouldn't have to do it again. If you have to redo the medical portion, they may make you do the written portion of the psych eval since that stuff is done on the same day in the same location, but you shouldn't have to redo the interview with the psychologist since they've already cleared you. Unless something changes in your personal situation, psych and background investigations shouldn't expire.

Also, I did my PHS about a month and a half before it expired, just to get it out of the way. There were no major changes except my address, so it was approved in about a week.

My application is starting to expire so I am starting to re-do steps ;/. Just completed the PHS and PFQ. Will need to interview again and take the medical exam again. Considering I've already passed all of these steps, I didn't think I'd be as nervous as I am. But I'm just getting anxious and want it to go well.

Good luck to everyone else here.

Comment

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          Passed my interview! Now I need to complete my medical exam and I will successfully be recertified

Originally posted by Italiangirl
        what does an oral psyche evaluation entail?
        I was very nervous going into mine, but it wasn't very intimidating and is just a conversation. You just sit down with a psychiatrist and he/she asks you questions about your life. He/she will want to know what elementary school was like. Did you have a lot of friends? What was your favorite subject? Then move onto middle school, high school, college, etc. Tell me about your family. What made your parents' marriage successful? Or why did they get divorced? How did that affect you? What methods did you use to cope with the stress of their divorce? Did their divorce change the way you see relationships? Etc

Essentially the psychiatrist just wants to find any potential red flags that could cause problems for the department. To do so, they must look through your entire life and determine risk factors. Some people say the psychiatrist will try to get you to lash out, but I didn't personally experience that.

Then, after the basic questioning is done, you will transition to the written psychological test you took during your medical exam. The psychiatrist is only looking at your written QA section here. When I did mine, he just wanted me to explain my reasoning to certain questions. No right or wrong. But you need to be confident in your reasoning and be able to defend your opinion.

These videos helped me prepare:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkfl1ken8JY
        2. https://www.facebook.com/joinlapd/vi...?extid=SEO----

You've got this! Remember, you made it this far for a reason. Good luck.

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Copper,

In your opinion, what are some pros and cons of being LEO in Los Angeles (LAPD)?

Good news! Found out today that there will be 2 academy classes in August! One starting 8/2 (tentative) and one starting 8/23 (tentative).

Whether or not this happens for the rest of the year is TBD, but the plan is to have 2 academy classes each month for the rest of the year

Comment

• Lester Marten
          Lester Marten commented
          Editing a comment
          That is good news. Have you redone your medical yet? Hopefully you get into one of the August classes. I did my medical (second time) last July, and I had to go in last week to do a Pulmonary Function Test (they weren't doing them last year because of Covid), hair drug test, and TB test.

• AvidHiker98
          AvidHiker98 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lester, yes I finished my ME and am back to Certified. Thanks for asking.

That's very exciting! You are so close! Good luck. Keep us updated

In my opinion, after 30+ years with the Department, the Pros FAR outweigh the Cons.

Pros:
        - Lots and lots of different job opportunities that most other departments, especially smaller departments, don't have
        - Dedicated SWAT team
        - Dedicated Bomb Squad
        - Dedicated Air Units (18 of them)
        - Two officer patrol cars, which makes it safer
        - 21 different patrol divisions to choose from. You can transfer every year if you want to. Can't do that in smaller agencies
        - Quality ongoing training, both in the academy and after you graduate. We have our own EVOC track, multiple firing ranges, and classrooms
        - Back-up is usually only a minute or two away
        - All 21 Patrol Divisions have a gang unit, narcotics unit, vice unit, and detective unit
        - Chief of Police that supports us and gets along with our union
        - Lots of specialized units, including gangs, narcotics, terrorism, auto theft, etc
        - Lots of promotional opportunities
        - Compressed work schedule, 3/12 and 4/10, plus we get to pick our days off, not told when we're gonna be off
        - Task force assignments with the FBI, ATF or DEA
        - The weather is always great here so crime doesn't slow down like it does in states with snow, cold, rain, etc
        - Silent majority of the population still likes us
        - Other stuff that escapes me at the moment

Cons:
        - Very unsupportive LA County DA
        - Strict discipline system
        - Vast majority of us don't live in the City (and don't want to), which means it's potentially a long drive to and from work depending where you live
        - Vocal minority of the population doesn't like us
        - Other stuff that escapes me at the moment

If I had it to do all over again, I would not change it. I've been very happy and proud to work for this agency all these years.
        Last edited by LA Copper; 06-28-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Copper,

That was super informational, I appreciate your detailed reply! LAPD is were I want to work and I'm currently in backgrounds and have been since January. I'm moving rather quickly in the hiring process with RSO even though I'm most likely going to wait for LAPD...

After 30+ years, what were your favorite and least favorite of assignments to work and where?

I've worked "Operations" almost my whole career, which means Patrol related functions. I think Patrol is the most fun and most interesting because every day is different. You run the gamut from mundane to exciting as heck, on a daily basis. Some people enjoy working just one thing (gangs, narcotics, autos, etc), but in my opinion, Patrol gets to see all of that and more.

People are different so what might interest me might not interest you. That's why it's great to have so many different job opportunities in our department, you can do something different every few years if you so desire.

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Copper,

Do you prefer to work days or nights and why? What are some ways you or other police officers fight sleepiness during night shifts?

Finished medical last week, anyone know how long before a background investigator reaches out?

Comment

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          Christopher_0369

After I completed medical i waited about 2 weeks for a BI to contact me but no one ever did. I called backgrounds and a nice lady on the phone checked my file and was able to give me the name and contact info for my BI and I made contact with her and got the process going.

You can wait a little bit until someone contacts you or you can try and reach out..

• Christopher_0369
          Christopher_0369 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info, I'll give it another week before reaching out. I'm assuming I have to clear backgrounds before scheduling the psych evaluation.

• Destiny09
          Destiny09 commented
          Editing a comment
          Christopher_0369

Correct, I'm actually waiting for my background to clear before I'm able to schedule the psych evaluation.

Everyone has different opinions about which watches they like. I like working nights for multiple reasons.

- Traffic is easier to maneuver to and from work and while at work
        - It's generally busier at night, especially the gang stuff
        - The types of calls at night are more interesting than the ones during the day

I can't speak for others but I fight "sleeplessness" by staying busy and doing my job. If the radio isn't that busy, there's always stuff to find.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3747 users online. 225 members and 3522 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X