Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read an article that said the mayor has proposed a 3% increase for LAPD's budget for the next fiscal year. Hopefully that translates into an a new academy class in the near future.

Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-12-2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Sunny702
      Sunny702 commented
      Editing a comment
      They still didnt give you an academy date? And how was the pfq on virtual? How did that work you did your push ups and sit ups on webcam? Lol

Virtual PFQ was no problem.
    Last edited by Lester Marten; 07-12-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• Sunny702
      Sunny702 commented
      Editing a comment
      No academy date yet? I just got done with my polygraph, pfq and my department interview i hope it doesnt take long for a academy date

Not sure how long the backgrounds investigation usually takes but I've been in backgrounds since 1/2021. I had to reach out to find out who my background investigator was by contacting the backgrounds department and from there I made contact. Has anyone heard anything new in regards to academy classes?

Comment

The next academy date depends on when the City Council decides to provide the money for it. Unfortunately, the Department has no say in the matter. Naturally, we're hoping for sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply.

Once an individual is certified, how is someone selected for the next academy date? Is an individual selected in order from when they were certified , random selection....etc,  thank you!.

• Sunny702
        Sunny702 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi i was wondering during the academy do you have to completely shave your head i know it might be different from when you joined but i was just curious and this might be sound dumb but if they call you for an academy date can you deny it for a later date? And do you get to pick the first assignment u want after graduation? Thank you

I called recruitment last week and they told me July 5 was going to be the start of an Academy.

Comment

• Sunny702
        Sunny702 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep i got a message from lapd today to saying academy is going to start in july

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I heard july as well via an e mail earlier today. Have you been certified for hire yet?

I got a call a couple weeks ago asking if I'd be able to attend the July academy. They said the official calls (job offers) would be coming in early June.

Comment

• Lester Marten
        Lester Marten commented
        Editing a comment
        Destiny09, I received the email telling me that I was certified in mid-January, and I got the unofficial call about the academy in late April. The hiring pause slowed everything down, but now that the pause is over, they should start having new academy classes start every month. Also, they said that they don't just select people in the order that they were certified. They're looking at your whole application (work/military experience, PFQ, etc.)

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lester Marten,

Ok cool sounds good, did they mention how many recruits were going to be in each academy class?

• Sunny702
        Sunny702 commented
        Editing a comment
        Destiny09 yup i was a Camp Pendleton and yea hopefully they accept me soon im almost done with everything lol

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sunny702

lol....I'm sure they will just make sure you have all your documentation ready when you get assigned your BI. Preparing all your documentation now will help speed up the background process.

Sunny, to answer your questions here so others can see:

You aren't required to fully shave your head but most classes do it simply because it's easier and cheaper than having to go to the barber all the time.

When you're about to graduate the academy, you are given three choices of the 21 patrol divisions you want to go to on probation. If the department has an opening in that division, you will get one of your choices. If not, you'll be sent where they need you. I'm guessing that about 50% of the class will get one of their choices. Obviously if too many people choose the same division, some of them aren't going to get their choice.

When your probation is over, you get "wheeled out" to a different division and the same thing applies. You get the same three choices and hopefully you'll get one of those divisions but you might not. Once you're a P-2 for about a year or so, you can put in an official transfer request and work anywhere in the city you'd like (in Patrol).

You can try to defer your assigned academy date but with the way things are going lately, it might be difficult (although probably not impossible) to get another date. Because of the "defund the police thing" and Covid, we haven't had an academy class for a while. That means we have a lot of people waiting to be hired. If you're offered a job, you might want to take it if you can because it could be a while before you're allowed to come back... but since I don't work Recruiting or the Personnel Department, that's just an educated guess.

Regarding background investigations, keep in mind we have people from all over the country applying with us. That's a lot of people. We only have so many investigators to handle that workload.

Factors include how much of a background you have for the background investigators to investigate. If you're older and have worked a number of jobs and have military experience, it could take a while. if you're younger with no military and only one or two jobs, that would obviously go faster.
      Last edited by LA Copper; 05-12-2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate all the valuable information your sharing, it helps us out tremendously! I've been researching and reading several of your past post in regards to work schedule. Can you please explain a little more in detail in how ones work schedule is set and explain how the 3/12's work? One will work 3 straight 12 hour shifts then off for 4 days unless one has other obligations such as training, court etc?

• Sunny702
        Sunny702 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 1 more question for you sir what about doing the academy and doing reserve opportunity in the military which is working mostly on weekends because i plan on doing both

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        I've seen multiple OIS videos LAPD post on their YouTube account and in several videos I've seen officers have to immediately get out of the vehicle and rush to the trunk to retrieve their non lethal beanbag shotguns. Is the beanbag supposable to be in the trunk? I would think it would be more beneficial for officers to have the shotgun up front with them in the car for quicker access.

Also, I've seen officers have to wait for a secondary unit to arrive with a ballistic shield to approach a suspect. I'm sure those shields are expansive and not every patrol vehicle has one, but would an officer be allowed to purchase their own and take it with them on patrol and use it when they feel it's necessary? Again, appreciate all the information your sharing!

LAPD generally works a 3/12 or 4/10 schedule. Patrol works both, detectives work a 4/10. We work a 28-day deployment (DP) schedule. On the 3/12 you get 15 days off and 13 days on. On the 4/10 you get 13 days off and 15 days on.

You get to put in a request for which days off you would like for the next DP. Normally you would get 95% of your choices. Sometimes you get a little less, sometimes you get them all. There are a number of variables that effect it. Either way, you still get the appropriate number of days off. (It's kinda hard to explain the process here.)

Sometimes your three or four days off are in a row, sometimes they aren't. Again, there are variables that effect it, but you still get the appropriate amount of days off per DP. Training is considered a working day, court is not, unless you work Days and you have court on your regular work day. If you have court on your day off, it's considered overtime.

Regarding military obligations while in the academy.... I have no idea. However, it could be difficult. There is a lot of studying while in the academy and occasionally there is a few weekends involved, though not many. You are only allowed to miss a specific number of hours (I don't know how many but I know it's not much) during the six-month academy. If you fail any of the tests in the academy, you're given a second chance to take it; if you fail a second time, you're out, so military reserves may or may not be problematic.

Our patrol cars do have racks in between the front seats, however there are usually only two. Our patrol officers are required to have a "real" shotgun up front. Rifle trained officers will have that up front also. For less lethal options, we have either the beanbag shotgun or the 40mm launcher. Usually, one of them is up front but if the racks are being used by the real shotgun and the rifle, the less lethal option ends up in the trunk.

Each division has only a certain amount of shields. I believe the ones we use cost somewhere around $2000 each. I've not heard of anyone purchasing their own shield, but if you did, it would have to be to Department specifications.

Last I heard, you guys are correct, the next academy class is tentatively scheduled for July 5. Keep in mind, that still depends on City Hall providing the money. They are looking to have about 55 in each class. Any other questions?

Good luck guys.
      Last edited by LA Copper; 05-16-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper,

Thanks again for the info.

Generally, what are the different shifts and the different shift hours on the 3/12 system? Also, is an individual allowed to sleep in their truck camper (camper sits inside the bed of the truck) after their shift is over instead of having to commute home and back?

We have 21 different patrol divisions within four different bureaus. The watch hours (we call them watches, not shifts) will vary with each bureau by at least 15 minutes to ensure there are always patrol cars on the road. Basically, we have: day watch, mid-day watch, pm watch, mid-pm watch, and morning watch.

Yes, you can sleep in your car or camper in the parking lot if you so desire. However, every station has a gym, a shower, and a cot room in case you'd rather be inside the station instead of the parking lot.
      Last edited by LA Copper; 06-29-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper,

Good to know, thanks again....when an officer is on probation will they have the same FTO through out the duration of probation?

No, you don't remain with the same training officer. You will change every two months for the first six months while you're in phase 2 of your probation. If all goes well and you move onto phase 3, there isn't a specific protocol of who you have to work with.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper,

When you graduate the academy, what's the transition to your probation division, are you informed a head out time on when and who you report to etc? Also, what are the watch hours? Thanks

About two weeks before you graduate, you'll find out which division you're going to. Hopefully you'll get one of the three choices you asked for but there's no guarantee on that. You graduate on a Friday morning. The earliest you'll start is the following Sunday. You'll have to check in with your division to find that out. (You'll remain in your probationary division for one year before you "wheel out" to a different division.)

The watch hours are either a 3/12 or a 4/10. It depends on which division you go to what the exact hours are. You'll have to wait until you're assigned to a division to find out what your specific hours are. You'll also find out who your FTO is going to be and which A-car you'll be assigned to. (An A-car is a two officer patrol unit.)
      Last edited by LA Copper; 05-22-2021, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper, thanks again for your reply.

In regards to the background investigation process, I'm currently in backgrounds and have been since 1/28/21. I spoke with my BI over a month ago and she mentioned she had everything from me and if there was anything needed she'd let me know. She spoke with my wife on the phone back in late March and told my wife she was getting ready to close up my background and send it in for approval.

Do you recommend me reaching out via e mail to my BI respectfully asking the status of my background or just wait it out until I hear from her? Thanks

It's your call but I recommend you wait a while. The background investigators have hundreds (at least) of backgrounds to complete. And since we haven't put an academy class through yet this year, they are getting backed up. That means they are pretty busy. If you're gonna get called for a class, you'll find out soon enough. That being said, you might get the call a week before your academy date. That's mostly because the Department is at the mercy of City Hall and whenever they decide to fund the next academy classes.

In the interim, there are plenty of things you can do to prepare before the academy. Start memorizing the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics. Learn the LAPD phonetic alphabet, which is different than the military alphabet. Learn some basic penal codes and vehicle codes. Keep up with your cardio. Start doing dry runs between both academies so you'll have an idea how long it will take to get "to work." The last thing you want to be is late.

If you don't already know, one academy (ARTC) is on Manchester Blvd near LAX. The other (Davis) is at the intersection of the 405 and 5 freeways. Most start times are either 0530 or 0600, and they are 8 1/2 hour days.
      Last edited by LA Copper; 05-24-2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper,

Thank for your recommendation, I'll hold off on contacting my BI and continue preparing for the academy.

Overall, hows the morale right now between officers in the department during this political climate?

Morale is the same as it is most everywhere. Guys get along fine with each other, it's hard to describe past that. However, just like with other issues in the last 30 years, this too shall pass, although it's gonna take longer to do so.

It's still a great job and I'm extremely fortunate to be a member of this department.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Copper

Thanks for your reply and all the information you shared with us!

Hi,

was just curious if anyone has gotten the official call yet for the July academy class? I'm currently all certified myself and am hoping to be a part of the next class and was just curious if anyone has heard anything yet. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Destiny09
        Destiny09 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sloan2013,

I'm currently in the background process and have been since
        1/2021 so I'm not certified yet.

I believe I read somewhere on this forum about calls going out for the July academy.

Roughly, how long did your background take?

I heard recently that unless there's a last minute pause from City Hall, the next academy class will indeed be July 5

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5286 users online. 305 members and 4981 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X