Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwiin106
    commented on 's reply
    When I had my department interview, it was over webcam. Best bet would be to practice typical interview questions (what do you think will be the hardest part about being an officer, name one time you disagreed with someone else and how did you handle it, what experiences have prepared you for the role you are seeking). Also, it doesn’t hurt to know the name of the Chief of Police and also know how many patrol divisions LAPD has etc. good luck!

• LABLUE
    replied
    I have my department interview tomorrow, any advice or things I should know before then?

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    commented on 's reply
    I think I figured out my PM issue. I sent you a PM this morning. It went through so hopefully it worked.

• LA Copper
    replied
    No kidding, going from the smallest to one of the biggest states... and to the second biggest city in the country.

Leave a comment:

• brendan_m
    commented on 's reply
    RI! Smallest state haha

• LA Copper
    commented on 's reply
    After you get the waiver, hopefully you'll be good with the lateral academy. Are you able to say which New England state you're coming from?

• brendan_m
    replied
    Hmm, yeah they’re still not working! I just filled out the CA post waiver application and will probably send that out this week. I spoke to someone with the city who said if I get approved then to send him it and he would be able to change my application to a lateral one.

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    Bummer about the PMs not working, I don't get it. Yes, every division does have a gang unit, as well as a narcotics unit.

Do you have other questions I might be able to help with?

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    No on the university, although I did attend a small college in Mass before coming out here to LA. Are you able to mention what state you're in without saying the department?

Leave a comment:

• brendan_m
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm, you know what we might have before I got on over here or maybe when I was fairly new. Did you happen to go to a small university in a small town? Right by the water with a bridge connecting to another town behind it?

The PM still isn’t working but no biggie. I’ll check out Whittier rentals. I like being busy but also like working the gang stuff, from my understanding every division has GED?

• LA Copper
    replied
    if I remember correctly, you won't need to get Tased or Sprayed in the lateral academy... but don't quote me on that. I'll try to verify that for you.

Like any other major metropolis in the country, living near the big city can be expensive. If you have someone to share the rent with, that would help a lot. That being said, there are places within an hour's drive that are affordable. If you want to work "the south end," then east or south of the City would work. A lot of guys live in Whittier, which isn't too bad and not too far.

I'm from Mass, how about you? By chance, have we conversed with each other before? Did you try to see if my PMs would work now?
    Last edited by LA Copper; 04-13-2022, 09:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brendan_m
    commented on 's reply
    New England as well!

I appreciate the info. I definitely would hate getting sprayed again but I guess it’s not too bad haha. I’ve had a few cross contamination incidents so I guess I’m more used to it.

Obviously cost of living is a huge issue out there, but are there still decent neighborhoods to rent an apartment in that’s affordable relative to the salary and to and have a 30-45 minute commute? I think I’d want to live somewhat close to restaurants and what not. I’d also like to work a busy division but I know most guys probably aren’t living in Southwest or 77th.

• LA Copper
    commented on 's reply
    I can't figure out what's up with the PM thing. I literally erased all messages from my inbox. I tried to erase some from my outgoing box but they won't erase so I can't figure out what's up. I'm sorry about that. Maybe try it again and see what happens.

I'm from the northeast as well, New England to narrow it down. You too?

The politics out here are very different than they are back east. Bill Bratton saw that first hand after being chief out here after just a few months.

The weather out here is definitely the best in the country. Not humid, no snow (in LA), not much rain, not too cold, and even the heat is the "dry" type. Plus there's no mosquitos!

Our academy isn't like how you described, you can ask Avid Hiker about that. You may get yelled at a few times but you won't get "smoked" nor would you be treated like a baby.

As long as you tell the truth and haven't done anything "evil," you should be ok with the poly.

• brendan_m
    replied
    First off I wanted to say thank you for all the information you’ve been providing on here!

I have about 5 years on in a northeast city. The politics are pretty similar and I’m sick of winters. I’ve been to LA and loved the weather and all of the different activities you can do out there and I’ve always been fascinated by LAPD and the culture / training. I really don’t think I’d mind doing a full academy but it would be nice to avoid all the yelling / getting smoked and treated like a baby again.

The polygraph makes me a little nervous as we don’t have those here but I guess it can’t be too bad.

I tried to PM you this and my agency but it says quota is filled.

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    commented on 's reply
    If I remember correctly, if you have the POST waiver, you would only have to attend the "lateral academy" which is what you referenced above.

You would need to attend some firearms classes, some EVOC classes, other miscellaneous classes, and then classes on LAPD policies, procedures, and tactics. Tactics is a big one because we generally do things different than most other states. And I believe you don't have to do PT.

What state are you coming from? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to mention it publicly.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3800 users online. 207 members and 3593 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X