Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anotherrecruit
    Yeah. You send it to the exam analyst [email protected]

In my case when they approved it they waived the 12 month period down to 1 month
    Just got a call today and got rescheduled for later this month hopefully I get through this time!

Comment

• PDstudent
      PDstudent commented
      Editing a comment
      Best of luck LABLUE. The poly seems like a darn coin toss sometimes. Keep us posted.

• Anyone here in backgrounds? How long have you been in backgrounds? Anyone get the call recently? How long did it take? Thanks!

Comment

• PDstudent
      PDstudent commented
      Editing a comment
      Your background timeline depends on how big or small your work history is, how quickly your references respond back when they're contacted and also how backlogged your investigator is. Most of them are part time. Help them help you by providing accurate and up to date information and contact numbers, asking your references to respond quickly-including your neighbors that are about to have their doors knocked on by cops in suits. : ) I've been told directly by a BI that the fastest ever was just under 4 weeks and have read here on this forum of timelines of 4-6 months, or longer.
      Last edited by PDstudent; 11-03-2022, 12:09 PM.

• Any new updates with anyone?

Comment

• I’m new here and just had a few questions. I started the application process this month and have passed the exam. Currently I am working on my personal history statement. I am Active Army and will be retiring within the year. I am wondering where would be the the best place to live, that’s affordable, if I were to get hired. I have a wife and kids so I know it may not be realistic for me. One positive would be that I will have a military pension to help with expenses. I have always wanted to be a Police Officer just took a 20 year detour. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Comment

• Green_To_Blue
      Green_To_Blue commented
      Editing a comment
      EodDru, I’m almost in the exact same position as you. I have about 2 years until I retire and start pursuing the same path. I look forward to learning more about your journey. Please keep us all posted on your progress.

• Dru, the Los Angeles area is fairly expensive to live in, pretty much like most of the country nowadays. It's gonna depend on several factors.

Are you looking for a house, condo, or apartment to start out in? Will your wife be working also? Are your kids already in school? If so, you're probably looking for a good school system.

I can recommend several cities in the area where many officers and fire guys who work in and around LA County live in, although they aren't necessarily cheap but good places to live in.

Simi Valley / Santa Clarita / Whittier / Burbank / Thousand Oaks / Chino Hills / Huntington Beach / parts of Long Beach

These are all good places to live, although the closest to LA are Burbank, Whittier, and Long Beach. If you aren't already, you would need to get used to spending time on the freeways. The average commute for most LAPD officers is about 45 to 60 minutes. The City of Los Angeles is 465 square miles so it will depend on where you live and what division you work at as to how long your commute will be.

Keep in mind when you attend our six-month academy, we have two locations you would be traveling to, both of which are right off the 405 Freeway. One is very close to LAX and the other is in the north San Fernando Valley (Granada Hills), where the 405 and 5 Freeways meet. (A Google maps overview search will show what I mean.) Where you are sent after the academy is usually, though not always, at the division closest to where you live so keep that in mind.

(The academies are called the Ahamanson Recruit Training Center (ARTC) and the Davis Training Facility.)

All of our Patrol personnel work either a 3/12 or 4/10 work week so you wouldn't be on the road as often as most jobs. (Most of our detectives work a 4/10. Specialized units vary.)

if you have other questions, feel free to ask here or in a PM. Good luck.
    Last edited by LA Copper; 11-25-2022, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by anotherrecruit View Post
      How did your polygraph go?
      Got rescheduled for Dec. 6th, but didn't pass again. I'm so confused, I couldn't get past the "stealing from an employer" question, I have never stolen anything from any employer and if I did I would have had no problem with informing them. I was told that I either lied on my PHS or did something intentionally to help me get passed the polygraph. And to be completely honest with everyone in this group I did not lie about anything nor did I do anything intentionally to get passed the polygraph, I knew it was my last chance before having to wait 12 months so I didn't want to jeopardize anything by "cheating" or lying about anything. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be haha, currently looking into Burbank and Glendale PD.

Comment

• anotherrecruit
        anotherrecruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Shame. I know how you feel, it's ridiculous. Really is flip of a coin whether or not you pass. I've also started the process with Glendale

• Originally posted by anotherrecruit View Post
      Shame. I know how you feel, it's ridiculous. Really is flip of a coin whether or not you pass. I've also started the process with Glendale
      How is that going, what step are you on? I haven't heard back from Burbank or Santa Monica.

Comment

• anotherrecruit
        anotherrecruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Passed PAT today, now waiting on January for orals

I skipped on Burbank cause last time I checked it couple months ago they held the test days on same exact days as Glendale so you kind of had to choose which department you wanted most

• Hello All!
      Currently in the process as well. I’m in backgrounds, towards the end of it.

Quick question, once you pass the psych interview, what is the timeframe to become “certified” for the next academy? what does that look like?

Thank you​

Comment

• JROD83
        JROD83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats for reaching that far in the process, hope you already got the clear by now. Got a question for you, do you know how long it usually takes to get the final clear from the board after your BI submitted your case, I'm gonna assume because of the holidays in between there should be a delay but maybe I'm assuming wrong as well

• Originally posted by eRAM1217 View Post
      Hello All!
      Currently in the process as well. I’m in backgrounds, towards the end of it.

Quick question, once you pass the psych interview, what is the timeframe to become “certified” for the next academy? what does that look like?

Thank you​
      Answering for a friend. : ) This seems to be pretty random and variable. There are certain date cut offs to be certified/eligible for the next up academy date. My friend received notice of passing the oral psych within a couple days and was essentially 'certified' a day or two after that. Got 'the call' a couple days after that and was in the academy 2 weeks later. Crazy fast. Your BI should be able to get you some of those answers once you wrap up backgrounds. Best of luck!

Comment

• eRAM1217
        eRAM1217 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello! Ok that makes total sense! Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it!

• Hello, just got notified that I passed psych. For those near the finish line, keep your head in the game and stay strong. You’ll eventually get there. This process is rough and I applaud everyone for sticking through to the end. Let me know if y’all have any questions.

Comment

• Graz0311
        Graz0311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats! How long has the process been for you? I’m currently going through their “fast track” program. I’m curious to find out some timelines from those of have gone through the same process.

• Ocline
        Ocline commented
        Editing a comment
        congrats and best wishes for the next steps.

How long did your background take to complete. The website says 90-180 days. I’m at about the 60 day mark.

. Staying patient and sticking to the process day by day.

Best of luck to all in the process.

• Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
      Dru, the Los Angeles area is fairly expensive to live in, pretty much like most of the country nowadays. It's gonna depend on several factors.

Are you looking for a house, condo, or apartment to start out in? Will your wife be working also? Are your kids already in school? If so, you're probably looking for a good school system.

I can recommend several cities in the area where many officers and fire guys who work in and around LA County live in, although they aren't necessarily cheap but good places to live in.

Simi Valley / Santa Clarita / Whittier / Burbank / Thousand Oaks / Chino Hills / Huntington Beach / parts of Long Beach

These are all good places to live, although the closest to LA are Burbank, Whittier, and Long Beach. If you aren't already, you would need to get used to spending time on the freeways. The average commute for most LAPD officers is about 45 to 60 minutes. The City of Los Angeles is 465 square miles so it will depend on where you live and what division you work at as to how long your commute will be.

Keep in mind when you attend our six-month academy, we have two locations you would be traveling to, both of which are right off the 405 Freeway. One is very close to LAX and the other is in the north San Fernando Valley (Granada Hills), where the 405 and 5 Freeways meet. (A Google maps overview search will show what I mean.) Where you are sent after the academy is usually, though not always, at the division closest to where you live so keep that in mind.

(The academies are called the Ahamanson Recruit Training Center (ARTC) and the Davis Training Facility.)

All of our Patrol personnel work either a 3/12 or 4/10 work week so you wouldn't be on the road as often as most jobs. (Most of our detectives work a 4/10. Specialized units vary.)

if you have other questions, feel free to ask here or in a PM. Good luck.
      For L.A. Copper or anyone else that may know:

Do you always 'wheel out' of where you spend your 12 months as a probie? Or can you choose to stay at the same location and be granted that request if LAPD agrees?​

Comment

• Originally posted by PDstudent View Post

For L.A. Copper or anyone else that may know:

Do you always 'wheel out' of where you spend your 12 months as a probie? Or can you choose to stay at the same location and be granted that request if LAPD agrees?​
        Every P-1 will "wheel out" after they complete their probationary period.

Comment

• LA Copper
          LA Copper commented
          Editing a comment
          This is correct. All probationers "wheel" to a different division once you complete probation. You're given three choices of where you want to go. The Department tries to give you one of your choices but if they have personnel needs at a different division, then that's where you'll go.

After about a year, you can request a transfer to any division you want to go to in the City. You get on a waiting list and as soon as there's an opening, you can transfer. We have 21 different Patrol Divisions to choose from so there's lots of opportunities and places to go.

• Hey all, thanks so much for this wonderful thread. I read everything and learned a lot! I started applying last year but could not for the life of me decide if I wanted to do reserves or full time, so after some soul-searching, I’m back and just submitted my PHS a few days ago.

one thing I’m concerned about is the possibility of them rejecting my vaccine exemption. Has anyone had success going through the hiring process + academy without getting the Covid vaccine?

secondly, any advice as to whether it would be “acceptable” in the eyes of the LAPD hiring people if I also apply to another department at the same time, such as Torrance?

thanks

Comment

• anotherrecruit
          anotherrecruit commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think they're granting vaccine exemptions, haven't heard of any candidate getting one and they're still firing officers for it.

Applying to other Departments isn't an issue, everyone does it. It's never guaranteed that your first pick hires you. Only creates more work for your BI, they get all your records from the Departments you apply with, so make sure your PHS is matching

• Seann
          Seann commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure how to reply to a comment. Hope this works. Thanks for the reply, that’s VERY good to know, and super helpful. Here I was going to wait a year for LAPD when they might not even hire me! Anyone know any departments that hire people who aren’t vaxed…?
          Last edited by Seann; 01-28-2023, 07:55 PM.

• anotherrecruit
          anotherrecruit commented
          Editing a comment
          I would try anyway, no harm in it. I don't think you have to apply to ask for exemption

For vaccine exemption requests you have to email the personnel sworn exam analyst Jackie Bento @ [email protected]

• Seann
          Seann commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah good point. I’ll go for it but like you suggested, not put my eggs in one basket
          Last edited by Seann; 01-28-2023, 08:24 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5286 users online. 304 members and 4982 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X