Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AvidHiker98
    commented on 's reply
    I have not. Fingers crossed. If you hear anything, please post here and keep us all updated!

• Sloan2013
    replied
    Anyone get a call for the August class yet?

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    Everyone has different opinions about which watches they like. I like working nights for multiple reasons.

- Traffic is easier to maneuver to and from work and while at work
    - It's generally busier at night, especially the gang stuff
    - The types of calls at night are more interesting than the ones during the day

I can't speak for others but I fight "sleeplessness" by staying busy and doing my job. If the radio isn't that busy, there's always stuff to find.

Leave a comment:

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    Christopher_0369

Correct, I'm actually waiting for my background to clear before I'm able to schedule the psych evaluation.

• Christopher_0369
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it another week before reaching out. I'm assuming I have to clear backgrounds before scheduling the psych evaluation.

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    LA Copper,

Do you prefer to work days or nights and why? What are some ways you or other police officers fight sleepiness during night shifts?

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    Christopher_0369

After I completed medical i waited about 2 weeks for a BI to contact me but no one ever did. I called backgrounds and a nice lady on the phone checked my file and was able to give me the name and contact info for my BI and I made contact with her and got the process going.

You can wait a little bit until someone contacts you or you can try and reach out..

• Christopher_0369
    replied
    Finished medical last week, anyone know how long before a background investigator reaches out?

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    I've worked "Operations" almost my whole career, which means Patrol related functions. I think Patrol is the most fun and most interesting because every day is different. You run the gamut from mundane to exciting as heck, on a daily basis. Some people enjoy working just one thing (gangs, narcotics, autos, etc), but in my opinion, Patrol gets to see all of that and more.

People are different so what might interest me might not interest you. That's why it's great to have so many different job opportunities in our department, you can do something different every few years if you so desire.

Leave a comment:

• AvidHiker98
    commented on 's reply
    Lester, yes I finished my ME and am back to Certified. Thanks for asking.

That's very exciting! You are so close! Good luck. Keep us updated

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    LA Copper,

That was super informational, I appreciate your detailed reply! LAPD is were I want to work and I'm currently in backgrounds and have been since January. I'm moving rather quickly in the hiring process with RSO even though I'm most likely going to wait for LAPD...

After 30+ years, what were your favorite and least favorite of assignments to work and where?

• LA Copper
    replied
    In my opinion, after 30+ years with the Department, the Pros FAR outweigh the Cons.

Pros:
    - Lots and lots of different job opportunities that most other departments, especially smaller departments, don't have
    - Dedicated SWAT team
    - Dedicated Bomb Squad
    - Dedicated Air Units (18 of them)
    - Two officer patrol cars, which makes it safer
    - 21 different patrol divisions to choose from. You can transfer every year if you want to. Can't do that in smaller agencies
    - Quality ongoing training, both in the academy and after you graduate. We have our own EVOC track, multiple firing ranges, and classrooms
    - Back-up is usually only a minute or two away
    - All 21 Patrol Divisions have a gang unit, narcotics unit, vice unit, and detective unit
    - Chief of Police that supports us and gets along with our union
    - Lots of specialized units, including gangs, narcotics, terrorism, auto theft, etc
    - Lots of promotional opportunities
    - Compressed work schedule, 3/12 and 4/10, plus we get to pick our days off, not told when we're gonna be off
    - Task force assignments with the FBI, ATF or DEA
    - The weather is always great here so crime doesn't slow down like it does in states with snow, cold, rain, etc
    - Silent majority of the population still likes us
    - Other stuff that escapes me at the moment

Cons:
    - Very unsupportive LA County DA
    - Strict discipline system
    - Vast majority of us don't live in the City (and don't want to), which means it's potentially a long drive to and from work depending where you live
    - Vocal minority of the population doesn't like us
    - Other stuff that escapes me at the moment

If I had it to do all over again, I would not change it. I've been very happy and proud to work for this agency all these years.
    Last edited by LA Copper; 06-28-2021, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lester Marten
    commented on 's reply
    That is good news. Have you redone your medical yet? Hopefully you get into one of the August classes. I did my medical (second time) last July, and I had to go in last week to do a Pulmonary Function Test (they weren't doing them last year because of Covid), hair drug test, and TB test.

• AvidHiker98
    replied
    Good news! Found out today that there will be 2 academy classes in August! One starting 8/2 (tentative) and one starting 8/23 (tentative).

Whether or not this happens for the rest of the year is TBD, but the plan is to have 2 academy classes each month for the rest of the year

Leave a comment:

• Destiny09
    commented on 's reply
    LA Copper,

In your opinion, what are some pros and cons of being LEO in Los Angeles (LAPD)?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3975 users online. 216 members and 3759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X