Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Academy Preperation

Hello everyone!

I just completed the LAPD hiring a few weeks ago and passed the oral psych. I am now "certified" and am waiting for an academy date. Though the mentors at LAPD haven't yet received dates for 2021, likely due to budget issues, so it may be awhile.

In the interim, I want to be as prepared as possible so that when the time comes, I am able to excel.

I have purchased and starting reading over various Qwik-Codes study guides such as Penal Codes, Vehicle Codes, and Search and Seizures. I also purchased and read through the 2020 LAPD Pocket Brainbook.

Physically I've been doing lots of running/walking/hiking and hitting the gym to stay in shape.

What else can I do to prepare myself for the academy?

AvidHiker98 First of all, congratulations. Once you get to the academy, graduate, and start working the streets, do good things for our community brother.
    To answer the question, you are doing all of the right things to prepare yourself. Definitely get familiar with the 4th amendment, your departments use of force policy, and continue to go over the CA penal codes.

Continue running every other day. Try to get some mileage in and run the hills. Because if there is one thing I'm certain of LAPD...They will run you all up and down those hills. Be prepared mentally and physically, youre coming in at the academy at a weird/unique time. Don't lose focus. Good luck

Comment

• AvidHiker98
      AvidHiker98 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! What are some additional ways to "prepare yourself mentally?"

• Calitown
      Calitown commented
      Editing a comment
      @AvidHiker98
      Being disciplined and sticking to your routine, which you seem to be already doing. Keep it up man, consistency builds discipline, discipline creates a stronger mindset.

Originally posted by AvidHiker98 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I just completed the LAPD hiring a few weeks ago and passed the oral psych. I am now "certified" and am waiting for an academy date. Though the mentors at LAPD haven't yet received dates for 2021, likely due to budget issues, so it may be awhile.

In the interim, I want to be as prepared as possible so that when the time comes, I am able to excel.

I have purchased and starting reading over various Qwik-Codes study guides such as Penal Codes, Vehicle Codes, and Search and Seizures. I also purchased and read through the 2020 LAPD Pocket Brainbook.

Physically I've been doing lots of running/walking/hiking and hitting the gym to stay in shape.

What else can I do to prepare myself for the academy?
    How long was ur BG?

Comment

VinhMym I started the background check on July 15. It was submitted on November 18, but was rejected by the supervisor because they needed clarification about a couple things. It was resubmitted and fully completed on December 9. I then went onto the oral pysch on 12/15 and got the results back the same day.

Comment

• VinhMym
        VinhMym commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to the first interview with the BG back in Oct 14. So I already submit all the papers work. I guess that’s the day they started on my background? Since then I haven’t heard much from the BI. Not sure should I be concerned or not. I did reach out to her to see if she need anything. But she said nothing at the moment.

• AvidHiker98
        AvidHiker98 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that is normal. It's a long process of them sending emails and letters to people. Then, after everything is done, your BI has to do a write up of all his/her findings. It then gets sent to a supervisor for approval. Then it gets sent to an additional panel for review. It's annoying to wait, but no news is good news

Originally posted by AvidHiker98 View Post
      VinhMym I started the background check on July 15. It was submitted on November 18, but was rejected by the supervisor because they needed clarification about a couple things. It was resubmitted and fully completed on December 9. I then went onto the oral pysch on 12/15 and got the results back the same day.
      Nice what did you score on ur PFQ?
      Last edited by VinhMym; 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Score ..........

Comment

My PFQ score was 68. My 1.5 mile was 11:30 for an average of 7:17. Since then that has come down to a 6:58 average. Haven't tested myself on sprints, pushups, or situps, though I go to the gym and train so I presume my strength is fine still

Comment

I would recommend you study the following as you'll have to know them to graduate. Our Department manual is online in our Department website, LAPDONLINE.ORG

- Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
            - Pursuit Policy
            - Use of Force Policy
            - Use of Deadly Force Policy
            - The LAPD phonetic alphabet (which is different from the military alphabet)
            - Learn about the City of LA and its many problems that you hopefully will be addressing once you graduate
            - Peruse the manual and have an idea what other stuff you'll eventually be responsible for
            - Watch some of the Use of Force videos on the website to have an idea what the job is like

You're right, the budget issue is going to be just that, an issue, so we most likely won't be hiring like we used to. As of last year, we had an academy class starting almost every month. That probably won't be happening this year so let's hope for the best. Good luck.

Comment

• AvidHiker98
              AvidHiker98 commented
              Editing a comment
              Fantastic! I appreciate your response. Thank you so much.

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
            I would recommend you study the following as you'll have to know them to graduate. Our Department manual is online in our Department website, LAPDONLINE.ORG

- Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
            - Pursuit Policy
            - Use of Force Policy
            - Use of Deadly Force Policy
            - The LAPD phonetic alphabet (which is different from the military alphabet)
            - Learn about the City of LA and its many problems that you hopefully will be addressing once you graduate
            - Peruse the manual and have an idea what other stuff you'll eventually be responsible for
            - Watch some of the Use of Force videos on the website to have an idea what the job is like

You're right, the budget issue is going to be just that, an issue, so we most likely won't be hiring like we used to. As of last year, we had an academy class starting almost every month. That probably won't be happening this year so let's hope for the best. Good luck.
            Hello sir, have a few question regarding to LAPD. Not sure if you can help -)!

Comment

Originally posted by VinhMym View Post

Hello sir, have a few question regarding to LAPD. Not sure if you can help -)!

Hi there,

Sure, I'll do my best, fire away.

Comment

• VinhMym
                VinhMym commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, I can’t PM you. The system said you reach the quota for PM lol. It’s anyway I can message you?

I've deleted almost every PM I have but apparently something is wrong with the system itself.

You can try asking here on this thread, unless it's something confidential you don't want to mention in public.

Comment

Learn the streets, highway systems....study maps...etc. Seem new recruits always seem to be weak on the geographic areas, and I don't mean your GPS phone. Get city maps and start figuring out what is what.

Comment

• AvidHiker98
                  AvidHiker98 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  will do. Thanks!

I also just recently finished the application process and am waiting for an academy spot. I called the LAPD mentors this morning and got the same answers. No news about academy dates. I'm an out of state applicant, although I lived in SoCal for several years while in the Marine Corps. I hope we get some information soon.

Comment

Does anyone know when will be the next academy date ?

Comment

Originally posted by LBR View Post
                    Does anyone know when will be the next academy date ?
                    I have not heard anything, no. They still do not have an approved budget, and until they do, we shan't have an academy date .

Although they made some progress last week... My understanding is that there is a HUGE backlog. There are applicants that have been certified as far back as last May and they still don't have a date. I'm praying we hear something soon

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6580 users online. 357 members and 6223 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X