Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is self-sponoring at Rio Hondo Police Academy worth it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is self-sponoring at Rio Hondo Police Academy worth it?

thank you all for sharing
    Last edited by EJG300; Yesterday, 12:23 AM.

Paying out of your own pocket to attend an academy isn't going to help you pass an oral board interview.

Comment

• EJG300
      EJG300 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah I understand, as I’ve been told, been practicing my interview skills since then.

Originally posted by EJG300 View Post
    I know this question has been asked before, but most threads go back multiple years and I would like to gain current insights and thoughts on this topic especially with budget cuts and competition. About myself, I've passed written and physical exams from a couple of departments (Irvine and Riverside) but wasn't able to pass the panel interview for Irvine (first experience/unprepared) and had to, unfortunately, opt out of the selection process for Riverside due to an injury. All of this took a while and I would like to expedite the process by self-sponsoring and hopefully getting ahead of the competition. What are the chances of me being recruited during or after the academy?
    Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher? And, obviously, you're not a lateral. Why did you test at IPD? LOL!!!

What is your education level? How old are you? Who do you live with?

It's possible you need to get some more life experience (education, military, more job experience, move out of Mommy & Daddy's house) before jumping into a LE career. That's how you "get ahead" of your competition. More life experience=More things to draw from when you are in a panel interview.

Applicants are going to be scrutinized more than ever (is that even possible??) If you don't believe me, just read this pile of dung:

https://www.pe.com/2020/08/02/in-the...be-an-officer/

Last edited by LA1942; 08-02-2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• EJG300
      EJG300 commented
      Editing a comment
      hmm yeah well I just turned 24, graduated not too long ago with a BA in Psychology, have worked at a group home with at-risk youth (social services private sector) for 3 years and currently the facility manager (about a year). This job/position alone has provided sufficient experience and skills than when i first applied.

If you’re a good candidate, I’m not sure why you would need to self sponsor. You’re still going to have to go through the process. There are plenty of departments hiring a lot of people and there are a lot of terrible candidates applying so your chances should be good if you are decent.

Comment

• EJG300
      EJG300 commented
      Editing a comment
      agree, just don’t won’t to go through it again since its very time consuming

• LA1942
      LA1942 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, yeah, well, I would suggest testing with one of these larger agenices-LASO, LAPD, OCSD-get hired & get paid to train. But, it sounds like you don't want to invest that kind of time. Your chances of getting recruited? None of us know you or your background, so it's hard to say. Best of luck at Rio Hondo.
      Last edited by LA1942; Yesterday, 11:31 AM.

Self sponsoring should be your last resort. plus depending on the apartment you get picked up with after, you might have to go through another academy regardless. I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure any Orange County department would require you to go through the OC Sheriffs academy.

Comment

Rio Honda may be the ONLY academy running in the LA Basin for awhile due to massive budget cuts

Our next academy wont be until October at the earliest (and will most likely not be until next summer the way things are developing)

Many agencies out here are losing bodies and will not be hiring for a long time.....others are picking up already sworn LEOs that are being laid off behind the budget cuts
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by FormerPotato View Post
        I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure any Orange County department would require you to go through the OC Sheriffs academy.
        Not true.

Some OC agencies prefer the OCSD academy. Some OC agencies prefer the GW academy. There are some that don't really like the Rio Hondo academy. Some agencies have hired from a San Diego County academy. It's pretty much a crap shoot.

Comment

I had some time to think and decided to try a few more departments since I’ve only applied to a couple before hand. I’m going to take Rio Hondo’s written again since they were “lost” and going to use it to waive the Pellet B for some agencies if they have it and if I have a passing score. I applied for Azusa, San Diego, Burbank, and Chino so far. San Diego set me up for a 2 day process next month, hopefully I do well in one of these before December (Rio Hondo’s next academy class).

Comment

Originally posted by EJG300 View Post
            I had some time to think and decided to try a few more departments since I’ve only applied to a couple before hand. I’m going to take Rio Hondo’s written again since they were “lost” and going to use it to waive the Pellet B for some agencies if they have it and if I have a passing score. I applied for Azusa, San Diego, Burbank, and Chino so far. San Diego set me up for a 2 day process next month, hopefully I do well in one of these before December (Rio Hondo’s next academy class).
            One thing about smaller agencies (Chino-Azusa) is sometimes they are only hiring one or two bodies. Those one or two bodies may already have some sort of connection to the agency (intern, cadet, dispatcher, related to someone, etc.)

I would definitely get started with the bigger agencies. Always possible to get close to a hire date from August to December (depends on how quickly the agencies test & the length of your background investigation.) I've known recruits who were hired at LAPD & OCSD, in, as little as, two to three months. You can always be in the process with a bigger agency, start as a self-sponsored recruit in December, and possibly get hired, with the bigger agency along the way. Even if you had to start the academy over again, it would be worth it. Gotta go where you're going to get paid.

Comment

• EJG300
              EJG300 commented
              Editing a comment
              do you know anything about SDPD? cant seem to find anything

What do you want to know about SDPD?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5602 users online. 360 members and 5242 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X