300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral from Florida to SoCal

Hey guys! I need a little advice and have a few questions.

My fiancé has moved to the San Diego area for her job and I am looking into getting out there ASAP.

I am a lateral from Florida (Florida Highway Patrol), currently still working in Florida. I have 5 years experience, with the last year being a traffic homicide investigator. I have tons of certifications and training, was a FTO while I was working patrol and I am currently on our SWAT team. I also have my bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and a minor in psychology.

I am currently waiting for my department to get me my training records, so I can submit my application for my waiver in California.

While I wait, I am currently researching departments close to San Diego.

1. I am looking at SDPD, Chula Vista PD, Coronado PD and SDSO right now as prospective departments that accept laterals with waivers. Any opinions on these departments? I’m leaning towards the larger departments, due to the opportunity for career advancement.

2. My understanding of the waiver process is that it has two options. Take the written exam and skills test or take the 136 hour requalification course. Both are one chance only to pass or you have to complete a full academy again? What’s the cost of the 136 hour course? Which option do you guys recommend?

Any advice for an east coaster moving to the west coast?

All good agencies IMO. Look at Carlsbad, Escondido and Oceanside too. Coronado is probably the smallest of them all and is in the high rent district, so most of your calls will be noise complaints coming from people with $2 million dollar homes.

Not sure about the waiver process, but two guys in my academy who were hired by SDPD were both full time officers in other states and SDPD made them go through the entire 26 week academy again, but they did get hired at a higher pay rate.

If you're looking to live anywhere near the city of SD or within 5 miles of the beach, plan on spending at least $600k for a starter home or $2500 a month for a 2 BD apartment.

Comment

• Usmgrad
      Usmgrad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply. I will definitely look into those agencies as well.

The cost of living is close to the same here in South Florida. I also already have a place to live in the Point Loma area.

I’ll find out more on the waiver process once I get the training records submitted to see if I qualify for it. I hope so, as I really don’t want to do a full academy again.

I went through the requalification course at the end of 2018. I had to take it up in the San Jose area because it wasn't being offered in Socal. You need to check with CA POST website and see where its being offered, it seems the offerings are limited. The one I went through took place at a regional training academy through a community college, so there were out of state tuiton fees, luckily I was moving back to CA and was able to pay in-state fees, I also was able to skip the training evaluation since I was previous LE in CA. That being said I think I paid around 1500 to 2000k dollars to sponsor myself, that included finding room and board while I was out there. We had a NYPD copper in the class who was doing the basic course waiver and got picked up by Carlsbad PD pretty soon after we completed the course. You also have to bring your own weapon so that could be another expense. Their were a few people who were sponsored by a local PD and didn't have to foot the bill. If you pay attention you won't have any problems passing the final test which is required.

Comment

• Usmgrad
      Usmgrad commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t mind paying the $ for the class. I’m leaning towards doing the recert class over just taking the test, being I don’t have any experience in California or in California law. I know they have the books and study guides you can get before you take the test, but I don’t think I want to chance it.

All good agencies in my opinion. Chula Vista PD would be more where I'd prefer to work. I wouldn't work for SDPD, the pay is just too low for the area. Another idea, look at the Port of San Diego Police, they are the highest paid and I've heard it is a good gig. SDSO is a good idea too.

Comment

• Usmgrad
      Usmgrad commented
      Editing a comment
      My understanding is with experience you start at $42.50 an hour with SDPD. I thought they were the highest starting pay from my research. Chula Vista was close to that also. I could be wrong tho.

Depends on what you want out of a department.

SDPD has the most wide array of areas you can work without being a Deputy. If you get tired of one area it's fairly simple to transfer to another. Ridiculous amounts of overtime if you want to work, a lot of specialty assignments and a lot of people retiring which is seeing people get into specialized units fairly quickly. However, the larger the department the more you're just a number.

Coronado is the highest paid, lowest stress department. Like it was mentioned earlier mostly noise complaints or Sailor DUI's. I know a couple of hard chargers that have lateraled to Coronado only to come back to a higher tempo department. Honestly though right now I don't see a low tempo department as a negative considering the time we are in.

Harbor PD is well paid and everyone bounces between patrol, boats and airport. Lots of very senior, lazy dudes working the department though, and patrol is mostly proactive homeless patrol along the harbor and 415's at the hotels.

Chula Vista is a solid department. However all assignments are on a rotational basis. So if you're passion is traffic investigation you'll get a few years in that job , but then you'll rotate back to patrol (maybe another specialty assignment). From what I hear though most officers are pretty happy with their department.

National City- No Clue.

SD Sheriff is a good department. You can work some remote posts if that's what you wanted. Good if you decide to live in North County San Diego. You can work OT in jails which is always available from what I hear. As a lateral you won't be required to start in the jails and will be able to go straight to patrol somewhere. Lots of specialty units.

Escondido PD gets take home cars. Pretty dope.

Comment

As of April 1, 2020 you can only take the one day POST test if your hired in a command position. Your only two options are to take the 3 week course or get hired as a recruit and do the full academy.
      Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6096 users online. 363 members and 5733 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X