300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD academy?

Is it live in (ie with dorms?) If so is it optional or required to live there? If there is none, what areas would you recommend near the academy or mass transit to hunt for an apartment?

Not live in. Cant help you with the apt. situation as I commute 40 each way. Good luck.
    LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by Floridaboy View Post
      Is it live in (ie with dorms?) If so is it optional or required to live there? If there is none, what areas would you recommend near the academy or mass transit to hunt for an apartment?
      Oh No! You thinking about coming to So.Cal? Son, you are all over the place as far as thinking about where to go!Read some of your previous posts before and I remember that you have an "issue" with "Ghetto areas"-most major cities and adjacent some suburbs have POOR folks living in them, and higher crime rates(poverty+lack of opportunity= crime).Like So.Florida , In L.A./So.Calif.you will also be exposed to a large non english speaking population.(funny,but Florida ,like California ,was once the territory of NON english speaking peoples).My advice to you is this: find a city and a PD that you can live and work in,regardless of what type of people(rich or poor, minority or non minority)leave there.This job is about dealing with some ugly realities,and as a LEO you provide a "service"-public safety. People could give a hang about cop "culture"("ghetto gunslingers","streetfighters","onetimers")-they just want you to come and stop their neighbors from playing their radios too loud,or from having the local pee bum from sleeping on their lawns.all the violence,drug abuse,and thuggery is part of the human condition,and will be hre long after you or I are expoesed to it.

Now to answer your question- You can find housing in L.A. not far from the academy( try forrent.com)but a cheap one bd 1ba will run about $1,000 to $1,200 in "okay" parts of West L.A.,Westchester and the So.Bay areas(avg 5- miles from the academy).Most people tha are interested in the job tend to have lived in the city or visited it several times before.If you're interested,come on out(but bring a car or get a cheap rental) and checkout these spots - www.LASD.org , www.LAPDonline.org , http://www.laxpd.com,
      www.portoflosangeles.org/about_portpolice.htm
      Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-26-2007, 01:08 AM.
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I grew up in Eagle Rock, CA. an upper middle class neighborhood in the N/E part of Los Angeles. I don't know what it's like today, but it's relatively close to the LAPD academy. Look into the city of Glendale too
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

DOA cop- I have no problem whatsoever with being a LEO in a big city with a ghetto enviroment, and I would prefer such an enviroment (at least right now while im fairly young) I think you got that impression from my post about miami, I was not knocking the idea of being a cop in miami, I was letting someone understand that miami is not like it is on CSI Miami or Nip Tuck. The person was from up north and wanted to know about the city, having never been there.

I have lots of family in SoCal and always loved visiting, and I am just exploring my options right now. I want to move out of FL, and I understand that miami and LA might seem pretty comparable, but I lived down south for a few years, and I have no problem with the city, I just want a different change of pace.

I am not dead set on anything right now, I still have a year left of school, but I am just weighing my options.

Comment

The academy is not live in. You can probably find a temporary place and then move in with a classmate. Rent is high here in LA though.

There are 3 academies - Manchester for Academics, Davis and EP for tactics. Depending on where you live they will send you to either Davis or EP.
            There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

Comment

I would suggest living in either Burbank or Glendale, with an emphasis on Burbank. Burbank is near a few major freeways and it's right in the middle of the two current academies that recruits go to, Westchester and Granada Hills. I've heard that in the near future, they are going to open up Elysian Park to recruit classes also. In that case, Burbank is near there too. (Elysian Park is also where ALL graduations are.)

You can find a one bedroom for like DOAcop mentioned, between $1000 - 1300 a month. I've got a buddy who just graduated the LAPD Academy and lives in Burbank. He took my advice on living in Burbank and thought that traveling to both academies was easy from there.

It's also a pretty nice small city to live in; little crime, lots of new stores and restaurants, theaters, a big mall, etc...
              Last edited by LA Copper; 05-26-2007, 01:28 PM. Reason: spelled word wrong

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                I would suggest living in either Burbank or Glendale, with an emphasis on Burbank. Burbank is near a few major freeways and it's right in the middle of the two current academies that recruits go to, Westchester and Granada Hills. I've heard that in the near future, they are going to open up Elysian Park to recruit classes also. In that case, Burbank is near there too. (Elysian Park is also where ALL graduations are.)

You can find a one bedroom for like DOAcop mentioned, between $1000 - 1300 a month. I've got a buddy who just graduated the LAPD Academy and lives in Burbank. He took my advice on living in Burbank and thought that traveling to both academies was easy from there.

It's also a pretty nice small city to live in; little crime, lots of new stores and restaurants, theaters, a big mall, etc...
                Elysian Park is currently open and training recruits. I go there when Im not at ARTC (Westchester).
                LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz View Post
                  Elysian Park is currently open and training recruits. I go there when Im not at ARTC (Westchester).

All the more reason to try Burbank. It's pretty much in the middle of all three academies. I lived there for 13 years and really liked it.

Comment

All the more reason to try Burbank. It's pretty much in the middle of all three academies. I lived there for 13 years and really liked it.
                    Ive been looking for condos closer to LA and Burbank really did seem nice.
                    LAPD

Comment

You two- had the sweetest spot( a four plex co owned by my sister) on Avon near riverside Dr north- had lunch on the Warner studio lot with my Dad who worked there,used to eat brunch every sun at the former Dalt's( had happy hours there on fridays back in the day and used to talk to Fred Roggin,Debbi Allen,and Cree Summer at the bar!) Man and then there was Chadney's bar and grill with damn good hot j***!Doc Severinsen would sneek by for a set,eddie Palmieri jammed latin j***,and you had the ever "Blitzed" but talkative congo player Ray Armando at the front door checking out the ladies,then getting in a jam session with some of the tonite show band members-I remember the nite tito puente stopped in to surprise Ray for his birthday! the place was jamming and the "old school" burbank folks were out in force! Can taste the Bourbon on the rocks and that little sign over the bar("ain't nobody ugly after 2 am"....)-what was the name of that Burger and beer joint on North Olive across from the park?it was an old wooden shack of a place,but damn good burgers ,chili and other americana plus cold brews in the bottle and faded pictures of famous actors who'd stop by as well as athletes(Courtney Love was in there after taping a show with Jay leno down at CBS-she bought me and several of guys hanging out in there brews and clowned it up as usual!).Back when I stayed in Burbank ,it was like a slice of heaven,quiet ,clean and restful-off duty I'd jog to the equistrian center-and funny enough ,it was a 30 min drive to PAC area/LAX if you timed the freeway right.downtown burbank along San fernando is a good place to shop and spend off duty time(plus there plenty of young ladies around,and very little chance of getting in"trouble")....Definitely a good choice for a young officer to live in...
                      Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-27-2007, 01:35 AM.
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I noticed you all are talking about multiple academy locations, if you go on with the dept, do you pick which one you attend, or is it just the closest one or random?

Comment

I noticed you all are talking about multiple academy locations, if you go on with the dept, do you pick which one you attend, or is it just the closest one or random?

You go to all three, which is why I was saying Burbank is in the middle of each of them and would be very convenient.

Most of Westchester Academy is academics and PT. Granada Hills is tactics, shooting, and driver training. Elysian Park is classroom and tactics. (Berlioz, correct me if I'm wrong about Elysian Park.)

Comment

Thats pretty much it. EP and Davis do the same training, its just the classes are so huge that they give us the honor of training at EP. I dont know about EVOC, if thats just at davis, as Im not at that point. I couldnt imagine LAPD letting us do simulated pursuits on public streets...It may go back down to 2 academies though, since there has been talk of reducing class sizes, due to inefficiency. How the selection work is everybody will attend ARTC (near LAX) and if you are in Orange, SB, Riverside, or otherwise far from LA, you will go to EP. All others will attend Davis. You do get to make a wish list, though. Davis has state of the art trainging facilities. EP has history and brass floating around (we ran into the chief while getting into formation).
                            LAPD

Comment

Originally posted by Berlioz View Post
                              Thats pretty much it. EP and Davis do the same training, its just the classes are so huge that they give us the honor of training at EP. I dont know about EVOC, if thats just at davis, as Im not at that point. I couldnt imagine LAPD letting us do simulated pursuits on public streets...It may go back down to 2 academies though, since there has been talk of reducing class sizes, due to inefficiency. How the selection work is everybody will attend ARTC (near LAX) and if you are in Orange, SB, Riverside, or otherwise far from LA, you will go to EP. All others will attend Davis. You do get to make a wish list, though. Davis has state of the art trainging facilities. EP has history and brass floating around (we ran into the chief while getting into formation).
                              Hey Berlioz, Just wanted to let you know your end of probation date is actually a couple months less. Probation in the field is about 10 Calendar Months=12 DP months. Hope that info gives you a little more motivation in the academy.

P.S.
                              When your fourth dp in the academy comes around make sure you go to the Saturday SD remediation. It helps a lot.
                              There are no angels to testify to crimes committed in hell.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3624 users online. 140 members and 3484 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X