300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapd 2020

Any recent graduates that can give an account of academy life, first assignments, where to live with a family in LA county. Any new updates would be great! Thanks-

Academy life is six months of academics, physical training, shooting, driving, scenarios, studying, testing, etc. We have three different academies you would be traveling to, two of which are used primarily. Pretty much like most academies around the country. Do you have specific academy related questions?

We have 21 different patrol divisions you can pick from for your first assignment. You are on probation for one year after graduating the academy, the first six months of which are with a field training officer where all of your daily actions are critiqued. If you don't do well here, you can be "asked to leave the department."

It depends how much you can afford as to where you would want to live. Some cities are much more expensive than others, although it's certainly not cheap around here. It would be helpful if your significant other worked as well. We have an academy class starting every month. Each class has about 10 people in it who come to LA from another state to join the department. Many of them are single and they're able to do it so there are ways to afford to live here on an academy recruit's salary. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask here or take it to a private message.

Are you already in the testing process or still thinking about it?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'm coming from the military and a mid size out East, so I imagine the academy’s tests, procedures and normal cadre shenanigans are the same at the LAPD-true or would say that the Academy is knows as harder and more strict than most. It’s my understanding that LSPD academy’s are not residential; what would you say are the common hours?

Im scheduled for the expedited procedure in May, and as long as everything is good with LAPD, I would like to lateral over. I’ve spent some time in LA and figured I would live someplace up north off the 210 or 101, but any insight would be great. Would you say the hiring process is pretty quick and professional? It appears to be.

Military or LEO, I know all organizations have their issues and morale, but anything really good or nagging that you can say about the first couple of years on the job?

thanks again for your time-

Comment

Hi there.

I take it you're already on the job. The first paragraph above is difficult to understand. What state back east are you coming from? I'm from back east as well.

Correct, we don't live at the academy. I believe the only live-in academy here in California is the CHP but don't quote me on that. The basic hours are 0600 - 1430 Monday thru Friday. There's an occasional Saturday and occasional night time hours mixed in.

The expedited process is excellent. I did it "way back when" and it worked out well for me and others I know who have done it. If your'e able to lateral to us, you would need to attend our version of the "lateral academy" which is much easier than the basic recruit academy. Besides basic California POST stuff, you would need to learn LAPD stuff too.

With the expedited You would take all the tests in one week, although sometimes the psyche interview is put off for a later date, which means you may have to come back one time. That's still better than most where you could only take one or two tests at a time.

It's up to you but I would not recommend living anywhere in the City of LA. Thankfully we don't have a residency rule so we're allowed to live anywhere we want. Since you're gonna be attending three (really two) different academy locations, you don't want to live too far away, at least for the first year or two. I might recommend the City of Burbank. It's somewhat centrally locatedto all there academies, near several major highways, and has it's own airport.

You're on probation the first year so that's what you have to be concerned about; making it through. Even if you come on as a lateral, you're still on probation and have to become accustomed to the Californian way, and the LAPD way of doing things. It's pretty different than back east.

Once off probation, you'll go to another division where you can be a bit more relaxed and maybe work with an academy classmate. Or, if you do come in as a lateral, you might be able to stay in the same division if you like it enough. I'm not familiar enough with your situation to give you a definitive answer.

There are lots of things to do with a department like ours: gangs, narcotics, terrorism, patrol, detectives, bomb squad, swat, mounted, K-9, helicopters, dive team, etc. it's up to you what you'd like to do.

Do you have other questions?

Comment

I’ll be coming from New England, so I imagine it will be change. I’ve been in the job for about a year and before that, some federal law enforcement time as well. Looks like, since I don’t have a CA POST, that I’ll have to go through the normal academy, which might be better overall.

Would you say rookies with college are still starting out in the low 70’s? Do they have to get off probation to earn OT?

Any divisions that you personally recommend and ones that are known for certain work?

anything different you would have done, academy or otherwise?

thanks again!

Comment

What a coincidence, I'm from New England as well. (Go Sox!)

If you're able to obtain a California POST Basic Course waiver, you'd be able to do the lateral academy. It's worth a shot if you don't want to do the whole academy but it's up to you. I forget what the starting pay is now. We just got a new contract, which includes educational incentives so you'd have to talk to the recruiting folks to find out specifics about the pay scale.

You don't have to wait till you're off probation for overtime. Once you graduate the academy and hit the streets, you're just like any other officer with the opportunity for OT. If you are on a crime scene or a perimeter or make a late arrest or have to attend court on a day off, all equate to OT. We don't have "details" like they do back in New England if that's what you're asking about. We make our overtime doing police work, although we do have overtime "details" working LA's version of the MBTA or at the Coliseum or Staples Center.

Some divisions are busier than others. Some are more violent than others. Some are slower than others, so it all depends what you're looking for. It also depends where you live. If you can help it, you don't want to spend hours on the freeways, that's no fun. After probation, you're free to put in transfer requests to move around the city to our 21 different patrol divisions to see what you like.

I've been here for quite a while now and can honestly say I'm very glad I got on the job here and not back home. The differences are huge. I've enjoyed the vast majority of it. Send me a PM if you want specifics.

Comment

PM sent, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 3M View Post
                PM sent, thanks
                I don't have a PM in my list. Maybe it went to someone else.

Comment

I might PM you as welI if that’s okay. I work a city in New England and I’ve always been interested in LAPD.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan_m View Post
                    I might PM you as welI if that’s okay. I work a city in New England and I’ve always been interested in LAPD.
                    Absolutely, I'm happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post

Absolutely, I'm happy to help.
                      I just tried but it says you’ve met your limit or quota for PM’s.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan_m View Post

I just tried but it says you’ve met your limit or quota for PM’s.
                        That's weird, I only had a few messages there. I just deleted those so hopefully you can get through now.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post

That's weird, I only had a few messages there. I just deleted those so hopefully you can get through now.
                          It’s still popping up with that message, not sure why but I’ll just post my stuff here so people looking into lateraling can see as well.

Do you have any insight on the CA post waiver and the process, or know anybody that obtained it then went through the lateral academy? and do you know how that academy is structured and if there’s any difference with FTO afterwards?
                          The waiver process seems a bit confusing, and for example I never was trained on shotgun so how would that work, would I fail the waiver since I know shotgun is something you guys train on in your academy.

Also, the pension is 20 years for 50% then each year after is 3% correct?

Comment

I guess there's something wrong with the PM system. I now only have three messages in it with plenty of room for more, weird.

We do take laterals from other departments, as long as you are able to obtain the California Basic POST waiver. You would need to contact them to find out if you qualify. It would depend how much training you had there in Mass. That would include your academy and in-service stuff. (Did you attend a the full academy or the reserve intermittent?)

California POST requires 664 hours, with specific topics covered. https://post.ca.gov/peace-officer-basic-training The LAPD (like other departments in the state) takes it further, which is why if you're able to obtain a waiver, you could attend our lateral academy. We do things a lot different than you do there in Mass. If you do qualify, I believe you would need to take a POST test in order to obtain the waiver. This test is with POST and has nothing to do with our Department. As a lateral, the academy is more laid back and is not six months long. You would need to attend certain LAPD specific classes such as tactics, shooting, EVOC, and policies. You're right about the shotgun, you'd have to get that in our academy. I'd have to inquire from our academy folks for more specifics.

After graduation you are still on probation and would need to work with an FTO although I forget how structured it is for laterals. Like I said above, we do things much differently than back in Mass. I have friends on different departments back there in Mass and have done a number of ride alongs with them over the years so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Regarding the pension, the best we can do is 90% at 33 years. It depends what pension tier you're in if you're able to collect and when. Unless you leave for another department, pretty much no one here leaves after 20 years, partly because you have to be 55-years-old to start collecting your pension and for the medical insurance to start. We also have the DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan) program, deferred compensation, and the compressed work schedule, 3/12 and 4/10. where you can pick your own days off, no 4 and 2 here!

What part of Mass are you from? Hopefully the PM thing will start working in case you'd like to get more specific with your questions.

Comment

I took the written test online last night. Hopefully I can do the interview online as well. Right now, my out of state expedited appointment is not until June. I’m hoping to speed things up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3471 users online. 173 members and 3298 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X