Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I recently took the multiple-choice exam but I have not received results yet, and here is the question, I was very impressed with a mentor system, and what are the requirements to become a recruiter at LAPD? I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice but no experience yet in law enforcement jobs. Oh, by the way, I am from the east coast.

Comment

I’d say that Probably the minimum requirement is to be a full time officer there,....

Comment

Originally posted by randomF15 View Post
        Hello, I recently took the multiple-choice exam but I have not received results yet, and here is the question, I was very impressed with a mentor system, and what are the requirements to become a recruiter at LAPD? I have a bachelor's degree in criminal justice but no experience yet in law enforcement jobs. Oh, by the way, I am from the east coast.
        You would need a minimum of four years on the job with at least two different LAPD jobs behind you (preferably more than two). You would then have to interview for a spot when it opened up at recruiting.

Comment

• randomF15
          randomF15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the response! Is it true that some are hired within 50 days if taken the expedited process?

I haven't heard about anyone being hired that fast. Background investigations alone take a little while to complete but the expedited process is certainly much faster than the regular process. That being said, we'll see what happens with hiring. Our City Council just took a bunch of money away from our budget so I'm guessing that's gonna effect our hiring in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
          We are on the compressed work schedules, 3/12 and 4/10. Our "deployment periods" are similar to your "work periods" in that they are also 28 days long. On a 3/12 schedule, you work 13 days and are off 15. On a 4/10, you work 15 days and are off 13... plus you get to pick which days off you want in those 28 days. In Patrol, seniority doesn't really matter with days off. As long as the watch meets minimum staffing, usually everyone gets what they want, though not always. Detectives and specialized units all work the 4/10 schedule.

Good obs, the vast majority of our folks do not use the shoulder mic. That would be mostly because it is seen as a danger to wear it. A suspect could walk up behind you and try to strangle you with it. Or, you could get in a fight with a suspect and he/she could do the same thing. Many of our guys do use an earpiece though.

Per our Department manual, our equipment shall be on our belts in a certain way. Our uniform is just that, uniform on almost everyone. You can look it up on our Department website. We average around 60 officer involved shootings per year so our guns need to be readily accessible. Nothing should be in front of your gun in case you need to get it out quickly in order to save your life.

We can pursue any crime related incident. We cannot pursue a vehicle code infraction only. We utilize our helicopters in pursuits often and it is part of our pursuit policy to request one. We have 18 helicopters so there is usually two up for patrol at any given time and they do come in very handy.

I'm not quite sure what that last line means regarding the lateral program. I do know we had a lateral from NYPD with us late last year who did not complete any time with us before entering the lateral academy program. (He had 7 years with NYPD and said he was amazed at the differences in training between the two departments.) I think you're gonna have to talk to either our recruiting folks and or POST for that one. The lateral academy is "chill" and I don't blame you for wanting that over the regular academy. Now is the time to look into it before any changes that might come about due to the craziness going on out there now.
          Sounds like you guy/girls are squared away. At least there is uniformity and consistency there. Our department has one thing written down in the manual, another thing taught to the new kids in the academy, and something completely different told to officers at the precincts by supervision (for example, uniform/gunbelt setup).

Funny you mentioned helicopters. At the height of DPD manpower in the 1970s and 1980s when we have over 5,000 sworn, we had multiple helicopters that each covered a different area of the city. When the department last laid off (2005), the Aviation Unit was essentially shut down and all of the helicopters sold. They got the unit up and running again about 10 years ago, but we only have one helicopter right now and its hardly ever in the air. We're always told that the fuel is too expensive... We typically rely on the Michigan State Police for air support when they have theirs up in the Metro Detroit area.

I have had an incredibly busy week so haven't had time to sit down and call over to LAPD Recruiting, but its on my to-do list!

Comment

As with all departments, we certainly aren't perfect but we try to be as good as possible.

The budget stuff you referenced in years gone by look like they're gonna resurface all around the country with this "defund the police" thing going around. The next year or two are gonna be pretty interesting.

If you have questions after you speak to the recruiting folks, feel free to ask here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Comment

LA Copper -

Any advice for someone taking the department interview oral board this week?

Comment

LA Copper,

Quick question sir. Have you heard anything about the budget cuts affecting hiring? I understand hiring is going to be halved from some articles, but what exactly does that mean for academy dates? I'm hearing that new academies might not start for 6-8 months?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_vaughn View Post
                  LA Copper -

Any advice for someone taking the department interview oral board this week?
                  Sure. Take some time and do a little research about the City and the Department. I used to sit on interview boards and was amazed at how many people didn't know anything, and I mean anything, about us. That's completely unacceptable, especially when you can find out a TON of information on this thing you're looking at now, the computer. Many people didn't even know who the Chief was.

Go to our website, lapdonline.org and learn something about the Department. Also, figure out what the police related problems might be in the City.

Get there early in order to find a parking place. Wear a nice suit, something subdued, not flashy. And don't forget to smile once in a while. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisus View Post
                    LA Copper,

Quick question sir. Have you heard anything about the budget cuts affecting hiring? I understand hiring is going to be halved from some articles, but what exactly does that mean for academy dates? I'm hearing that new academies might not start for 6-8 months?
                    Normally we have an academy class starting every month but from what I've recently heard, there will only be about three more classes starting the rest of this year. This is obviously due to budget cuts. However, I know we will be losing quite a few folks in the next year or so due to a multitude of reasons. With the 2028 Olympics coming up, the Department will need to build back up at some point in the near future so I would think it will get better soon..... I hope.

Comment

Sure. Take some time and do a little research about the City and the Department. I used to sit on interview boards and was amazed at how many people didn't know anything, and I mean anything, about us. That's completely unacceptable, especially when you can find out a TON of information on this thing you're looking at now, the computer. Many people didn't even know who the Chief was.

Go to our website, lapdonline.org and learn something about the Department. Also, figure out what the police related problems might be in the City.

Get there early in order to find a parking place. Wear a nice suit, something subdued, not flashy. And don't forget to smile once in a while. Good luck.
                      Thanks this helped a lot!

Anyone know how long it takes to get results?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_vaughn View Post

Thanks this helped a lot!

Anyone know how long it takes to get results?
                        It depends on a number of factors.

- How much of a background you have for the investigators to investigate.

- Any potential medical issues you might have to clear up

- How many candidates are applying at the same time as you. We usually get thousands of people from around the
                        country applying every year so that can be a potential factor

- Any potential delays you might have in getting the investigators things like; DD214; high school diploma; college degree; contacts for previous jobs, etc

- Other miscellaneous factors
                        Last edited by LA Copper; 07-10-2020, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Passed my oral board.

Got the ‘conditional offer’ email, however, I’m assuming everyone gets this once they pass interview?

I have to take the fitness, polygraph, and medical. Plan is to train hard this month and fly out sometime in August.

Can anyone tell me how the fitness test is scored? Not expecting to fail any aspect, but I had trouble finding information on the site regarding: order of events, passing scores, etc.

Comment

Congrats. Where are you coming from?

Comment

Congrats. Where are you coming from?
                              New York

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4665 users online. 255 members and 4410 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X