Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lapd 2020

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    The laterals coming out of LAPD are going to flood the market . I'm cool with it .
    Last edited by BIG RICH; 06-07-2020, 02:37 PM. Reason: Editing is cool
    "train beyond the pain and the only release is death"

    Comment


    • #62
      Hello everyone! I just wanted to see how everyone process is coming along, and if it’s still moving forward for you guys/gals.

      Comment


      • #63
        Looking for some insight:

        Is LAPD still processing applicants? I have until the end of the year before my history statement expires & would like to move forward with the next steps.

        I am an out of state candidate that would love to expedite the: fitness, interview, and polygraph. However, when I log in to myPD there is literally no dates available to set up appointments. It’s been this way for a while now.

        Comment


        • BIG RICH
          BIG RICH commented
          Editing a comment
          Considering what's going on I wouldn't hold your breath . My academy is on hold with a different agency . So now it's a big waiting game .

      • #64
        LA Copper, I tried sending you a PM but it says your inbox is full.

        Comment


        • #65
          Detroit,

          There is apparently something wrong with my inbox. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff so I should have lots of space but for some reason, it's still telling members that it's full. Is there something I can help you with on here in this thread?

          Comment


          • #66
            Has anyone done a Skype interview? Any advice for the oral interview?

            thanks guys

            Comment


            • #67
              Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
              Detroit,

              There is apparently something wrong with my inbox. I cleaned out a bunch of stuff so I should have lots of space but for some reason, it's still telling members that it's full. Is there something I can help you with on here in this thread?
              Just wondering if you have any guys/girls there who came from other large departments nationwide. I'm currently close to 10 years here with Detroit PD and am thinking about moving somewhere west. Would another "big city" cop fit in in LAPD?

              Comment


              • #68
                Originally posted by DetroitR View Post

                Just wondering if you have any guys/girls there who came from other large departments nationwide. I'm currently close to 10 years here with Detroit PD and am thinking about moving somewhere west. Would another "big city" cop fit in in LAPD?
                As you probably already know, your current chief left the LAPD as a captain with the goal of going back to his hometown of Detroit to be the chief. Looks like he made it. Have you ever had a chance to talk to him to see what he thought of his old department? I'd be curious what he has to say.

                Yes, we periodically get laterals from other departments, both large and small, although we tend to get them from smaller agencies who want to see "more action." I know several from NYPD, two from Boston, a couple from Chicago, a bunch from the LA Sheriffs, several from other local Sheriff's Departments, and one from Jersey City. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. We have 10,000 at the moment but we'll see how long that lasts.

                I'm sure you could fit in but you would have to be open minded and flexible. We do things differently on the west coast than other parts of the country, especially the east. You would have to learn our policies, procedures, and most importantly, our tactics. If you don't mind doing that, I'm guessing you would be fine. Not to mention our weather out here is far better than what you have in Detroit. I'm from New England so I know a bit about that!

                Ifyou check out our Department's recruiting website, joinlapd.com you'll find out information for lateral hires. I'm sorry about my PM thing, I still can't figure out why it says it's full when I know it's not.

                I'm here if you or anyone else has more questions that I may be able to help out with. Stay safe out there, Detroit!

                Comment


                • #69
                  Originally posted by LA Copper View Post

                  As you probably already know, your current chief left the LAPD as a captain with the goal of going back to his hometown of Detroit to be the chief. Looks like he made it. Have you ever had a chance to talk to him to see what he thought of his old department? I'd be curious what he has to say.

                  Yes, we periodically get laterals from other departments, both large and small, although we tend to get them from smaller agencies who want to see "more action." I know several from NYPD, two from Boston, a couple from Chicago, a bunch from the LA Sheriffs, several from other local Sheriff's Departments, and one from Jersey City. I'm sure there are more that I don't know about. We have 10,000 at the moment but we'll see how long that lasts.

                  I'm sure you could fit in but you would have to be open minded and flexible. We do things differently on the west coast than other parts of the country, especially the east. You would have to learn our policies, procedures, and most importantly, our tactics. If you don't mind doing that, I'm guessing you would be fine. Not to mention our weather out here is far better than what you have in Detroit. I'm from New England so I know a bit about that!

                  Ifyou check out our Department's recruiting website, joinlapd.com you'll find out information for lateral hires. I'm sorry about my PM thing, I still can't figure out why it says it's full when I know it's not.

                  I'm here if you or anyone else has more questions that I may be able to help out with. Stay safe out there, Detroit!
                  He loves, loves, loves, LOVES LAPD. He was on the job here for a couple years until he got laid off and went west. I think he was a little shocked when he got back here in 2013 and we hadn't advanced much technologically or in terms of tactics since he'd been gone. Its gotten much better since he's been here, but anyone close to or over the 8-10 year mark here definitely knows how to work with literally nothing. I remember when I started, it was common to have a marked scout car in service with 200k+ on the odometer and holes in the floorboard so bad that you'd get wet if you hit a puddle. I hope those days are behind us.

                  I am definitely open minded. I've grown accustomed to the "Detroit" way, but I know that isn't necessarily the best way. One of the biggest problems we have here is that we are hurting for manpower so bad that they'll hire just about anyone and push them through the academy and probation. Not the way I'd like us to do business, but what can you expect when the city just went through bankruptcy, lowered our pension multiplier, and took away retiree healthcare?

                  I did look at the lateral section on your recruiting website. It looks like I'd have to see if California will recognize my Michigan certification and if so, I'd have to get California POST certified? That's the way I understood it, but we don't get many laterals here to Michigan so its a pretty foreign concept to most of us.

                  Comment


                  • #70
                    I'm glad to hear he liked us, that's always nice.

                    Sounds like your infrastructure needs some help. Thankfully we don't have cars like that here. Here, every patrol station has it's own garage, gas pumps, and car wash. (By scout car I'm guessing you're talking about a basic patrol car?)

                    You're correct, you would need to get a California POST waiver in order to qualify as a lateral with us or any agency within California. If you do get it, our lateral class is MUCH easier than the regular academy class. I believe the POST website might have answers for you. post.ca.gov

                    Let me know if you have any questions.

                    Comment


                    • #71
                      Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                      I'm glad to hear he liked us, that's always nice.

                      Sounds like your infrastructure needs some help. Thankfully we don't have cars like that here. Here, every patrol station has it's own garage, gas pumps, and car wash. (By scout car I'm guessing you're talking about a basic patrol car?)

                      You're correct, you would need to get a California POST waiver in order to qualify as a lateral with us or any agency within California. If you do get it, our lateral class is MUCH easier than the regular academy class. I believe the POST website might have answers for you. post.ca.gov

                      Let me know if you have any questions.
                      Unfortunately that's how its been here historically. Command officers receive new take home cars every year, and patrol and detectives get stuck with the scraps, driving them until they barely run anymore. We also don't have enough vehicles to rotate them out, so vehicles assigned to patrol literally run 24/7/365 with no breaks. Not uncommon to have a one year old scout car with 70k+ on it. Mismanagement and a lack of money has really killed us over the years. In the 1970s we were 5500 officers strong with state-of-the-art equipment. Today, we're barely at 2500 sworn and are told that the water at some of our police precincts is unsafe to drink. It would be a welcome change to work somewhere where things functions properly.

                      Yes, scout car is one of the unique terms we use. "Scout cars" are marked patrol cars and "booster cars" are unmarked patrol cars. I'm told its a tradition from the early 1900s. The term "scout" also refers to a patrol unit's radio designation. For example, units on duty in the Eighth Precinct would be referred to as "Scout 8-1," or "Scout 8-2," etc.

                      Your comment about LAPD tactics got me curious, so I looked up some of the critical incident briefings LAPD has posted on YouTube. I am definitely impressed, especially as it relates to the actions of officers during shootings. The tactics are really impressive and on point when it comes to the patrol officers actually assembling an arrest team to safely take someone into custody. We're so disorganized here that I can't imagine even trying to do that. I also noticed that you have less lethal shotguns and 40mm launchers. We've never had those and I can definitely see how they help by adding additional levels of less lethal force. We didn't even get tasers until 2018, and if our current Chief hadn't pushed for them the way he did, we probably would never have them. We don't have ballistic shields either - I was actually shocked when I saw a patrol officer with one, that is unheard of here! So overall, I'm very impressed and can see that there would definitely be a learning curve and a different mindset involved with coming out there. I view this as a positive thing though.

                      I will have to give LAPD recruiting a call one of these days. I just noticed the website references having to have completed probation at a California agency. Obviously I won't have that even if I do get the POST waiver, but I do have almost a decade out here. While I think I'm young and in shape enough to do another academy if I have to, that definitely isn't my ideal choice. If the LAPD academy is anything like the DPD academy, that'd mean going through another miserable six months.

                      Comment


                      • #72
                        Detroit,

                        Kudos to you and your folks for doing the job with the equipment and type of training you have. Our folks take what they have for granted and don't realize there are others out there with less. And we don't have snow and freezing temperatures out here either!

                        Our days off system probably differs from yours as well. We actually get to pick our days off every month as opposed to being told when we're off. For example, I know back in Boston they are on a 4 and 2; 4 on and 2 off. We get to pick our own days off, which in my opinion is a better system since it gives us choices.

                        Tactics is a big thing with our department. After most every tactical incident (not counting an OIS), we try to debrief it right then and there. If we made mistakes, we'll talk about them and try to right it for next time. If we did something right, we reinforce it so we repeat it. If we are involved in a use of force (not counting an OIS), it is critiqued to ensure all policies were followed and that it was done as tactically safe as possible.

                        Tactics are an evolving thing and can't be put into policy, however we do have standards we try to abide by. For example, always trying to seek out cover when there's an armed suspect or not standing in front of a vehicle with a suspect in the driver's seat. These things sound basic but I've seen many videos from around the country where officers aren't doing these things.

                        Regarding less lethal munitions, we've had Tasers since the early 80s. (Every patrol officer carries one) We've had the beanbag shotgun since the early 90s. We've had the 40mm for patrol since around 2015 ish. Less lethal stuff are important tools in police work since lethal force is the last resort.

                        I'm not sure what you're referring to with the probation thing. What I do know is since you already have 10 years with Detroit, all of your training will count for something. California POST will check all of your training, from the academy to all of your in-service to see how it compares with the required minimum training here in California. If your training qualifies, then you would only need to take a POST test to be allowed in. If you pass, then you would qualify for the LAPD lateral academy, which right now is pretty laid back. You wouldn't need to PT with the classes, you would just need to attend certain classes to get up to "LAPD standards" and learn our policies and procedures. For example, the basic California POST required academy hours are 664 but the LAPD academy is 924 so we add in our own stuff before recruits graduate. Hopefully our recruiting folks will be able to answer your questions with the POST and lateral academy stuff. If not, feel free to ask here and I'll try to help you.

                        While we do have patrol cars that make it to the 100,000 mile point, they are serviced often to ensure they are in good shape. As you may know, we have a lot of vehicle pursuits out here so we wouldn't want a vehicle such as you've described in your fleet driving at high speeds hoping it doesn't fall apart. That sounds like a pretty big liability issue, both with your officers and the community.

                        When I first came on the job we had 7600 officers; we now have 10,000 so we've gone up instead of down, however, it appears that may change with all this "defund the police" movement. We'll see what happens with police department budgets around the country, including ours.
                        Last edited by LA Copper; 06-27-2020, 07:28 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #73
                          If you are looking for a California police department that is still hiring and want to work in a small community that is extremely supportive of their police department, then check out The City of Arroyo Grande. We are on the Central Coast about three hours north of Los Angeles. We are actively hiring lateral officers, including out of state officers with a basic course waiver, and are offering a $10,000 signing bonus. Let me know if you have any questions about the department.

                          https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...ortunitiesJobs

                          Comment


                          • #74
                            Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                            Detroit,

                            Kudos to you and your folks for doing the job with the equipment and type of training you have. Our folks take what they have for granted and don't realize there are others out there with less. And we don't have snow and freezing temperatures out here either!

                            Our days off system probably differs from yours as well. We actually get to pick our days off every month as opposed to being told when we're off. For example, I know back in Boston they are on a 4 and 2; 4 on and 2 off. We get to pick our own days off, which in my opinion is a better system since it gives us choices.

                            Tactics is a big thing with our department. After most every tactical incident (not counting an OIS), we try to debrief it right then and there. If we made mistakes, we'll talk about them and try to right it for next time. If we did something right, we reinforce it so we repeat it. If we are involved in a use of force (not counting an OIS), it is critiqued to ensure all policies were followed and that it was done as tactically safe as possible.

                            Tactics are an evolving thing and can't be put into policy, however we do have standards we try to abide by. For example, always trying to seek out cover when there's an armed suspect or not standing in front of a vehicle with a suspect in the driver's seat. These things sound basic but I've seen many videos from around the country where officers aren't doing these things.

                            Regarding less lethal munitions, we've had Tasers since the early 80s. (Every patrol officer carries one) We've had the beanbag shotgun since the early 90s. We've had the 40mm for patrol since around 2015 ish. Less lethal stuff are important tools in police work since lethal force is the last resort.

                            I'm not sure what you're referring to with the probation thing. What I do know is since you already have 10 years with Detroit, all of your training will count for something. California POST will check all of your training, from the academy to all of your in-service to see how it compares with the required minimum training here in California. If your training qualifies, then you would only need to take a POST test to be allowed in. If you pass, then you would qualify for the LAPD lateral academy, which right now is pretty laid back. You wouldn't need to PT with the classes, you would just need to attend certain classes to get up to "LAPD standards" and learn our policies and procedures. For example, the basic California POST required academy hours are 664 but the LAPD academy is 924 so we add in our own stuff before recruits graduate. Hopefully our recruiting folks will be able to answer your questions with the POST and lateral academy stuff. If not, feel free to ask here and I'll try to help you.

                            While we do have patrol cars that make it to the 100,000 mile point, they are serviced often to ensure they are in good shape. As you may know, we have a lot of vehicle pursuits out here so we wouldn't want a vehicle such as you've described in your fleet driving at high speeds hoping it doesn't fall apart. That sounds like a pretty big liability issue, both with your officers and the community.

                            When I first came on the job we had 7600 officers; we now have 10,000 so we've gone up instead of down, however, it appears that may change with all this "defund the police" movement. We'll see what happens with police department budgets around the country, including ours.
                            Thank you for that. Just speaking with other Michigan officers, a lot of people don't realize how good they have it. I'm glad I've worked here though, its definitely taught me how to be the police with little to no resources, so that's a plus.

                            We work 8 hour shifts. The year is broken up into 13 "work periods" of 28 days each. You work 20 days and get 8 days off. We bid for the days off based on seniority, so some of the younger guys/girls get stuck with Tuesdays/Wednesdays (if they're lucky) until they have a few people under them. In 2012/2013, right before the City's bankruptcy, they forced patrol to work 12 hour shifts. It didn't really go over well here because it was imposed on us without a vote or contract amendment, and even working 12's instead of 8's, we only had a few cars on patrol each shift. Personally I like 10 or 12 hour shifts better than 8's, but it would be hard to make work here with our low manpower.

                            I do have a couple questions regarding some of what I've seen in the videos. First, do you guys not utilize shoulder mics/headsets? Looks like the officers are always removing their radios from their belts to make transmissions. That's definitely different than here, everyone uses either a mic or an earpiece. Also, is the department very particular about how your gunbelt is set up? I noticed that no one has anything in front of their gun and all the equipment seems to be stacked onto the officer's support side? Seems like a lot of real estate to give up (I wear my cuffs and spray between my gun and the belt buckle).

                            Regarding the pursuit thing, we haven't been allowed to chase since maybe 2015/2016. I think pursuits are still allowed for violent felonies, but that's about it. Some of our officers had some screw ups (driving the wrong way on the freeway....) and they came down hard on pursuits. Most of our older fleet wasn't safe enough to drive fast anyway. I can think of more than a few times we would try to quickly get to a shooting and our car would have bald tires.

                            This is the sentence on the Lateral Hiring webpage that I was referring to regarding the probation thing:

                            "The Lateral Entry Program is available for candidates who have a valid California Basic Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) Certificate and have successfully completed the probationary period at a California police agency."

                            Sounds like the lateral academy is pretty chill. That's definitely my preferred route!

                            Comment


                            • #75
                              We are on the compressed work schedules, 3/12 and 4/10. Our "deployment periods" are similar to your "work periods" in that they are also 28 days long. On a 3/12 schedule, you work 13 days and are off 15. On a 4/10, you work 15 days and are off 13... plus you get to pick which days off you want in those 28 days. In Patrol, seniority doesn't really matter with days off. As long as the watch meets minimum staffing, usually everyone gets what they want, though not always. Detectives and specialized units all work the 4/10 schedule.

                              Good obs, the vast majority of our folks do not use the shoulder mic. That would be mostly because it is seen as a danger to wear it. A suspect could walk up behind you and try to strangle you with it. Or, you could get in a fight with a suspect and he/she could do the same thing. Many of our guys do use an earpiece though.

                              Per our Department manual, our equipment shall be on our belts in a certain way. Our uniform is just that, uniform on almost everyone. You can look it up on our Department website. We average around 60 officer involved shootings per year so our guns need to be readily accessible. Nothing should be in front of your gun in case you need to get it out quickly in order to save your life.

                              We can pursue any crime related incident. We cannot pursue a vehicle code infraction only. We utilize our helicopters in pursuits often and it is part of our pursuit policy to request one. We have 18 helicopters so there is usually two up for patrol at any given time and they do come in very handy.

                              I'm not quite sure what that last line means regarding the lateral program. I do know we had a lateral from NYPD with us late last year who did not complete any time with us before entering the lateral academy program. (He had 7 years with NYPD and said he was amazed at the differences in training between the two departments.) I think you're gonna have to talk to either our recruiting folks and or POST for that one. The lateral academy is "chill" and I don't blame you for wanting that over the regular academy. Now is the time to look into it before any changes that might come about due to the craziness going on out there now.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3682 users online. 211 members and 3471 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X