Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The process is somewhat in flux right now because of the ongoing situation in the world so it's hard to say with any certainty how it will work this week compared to next so be patient. As someone else pointed out, lots of departments, including the LAPD are hiring so don't worry.

As for favorable stations where recruits want to go, it's all relative. Since the City of Los Angeles is 465 square miles, a lot of it depends on where you live. Most people don't want to drive more than an hour to work so it's hard to say. That being said, some of the popular divisions are:
    77th / Southeast / Hollywood / Rampart / Mission / Hollenbeck

Comment

Mr. Copper first and foremost thank you for the advice that your giving us in general. During the academy did you guys run every single day? And if so did it vary per day or what was the typical day so to speak?

Comment

You're very welcome, I'm happy to help.

No, we didn't run every day when I came on, it was every other day and that was from the start of the academy until about 3/4 of the way through. it slacked off after that. When we ran it was in the hills of Elysian Park and it varied from 3 - 6 miles.... in the hills. Nowadays, they are running at the academy near LAX (ARTC). If you're looking to see how much running they do today, I'd have to check. Is that what you'd like to know?

Comment

• Robertinho37
          Robertinho37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh ok I kind of had an idea but I just wanted to make sure in general. Running on hills is a heck of a lot more painful but better then running on just a flat surface. I just want to prepare myself the best that I could as I have, and as I will. Ill probably have more questions down the road sir, but thank you once again for taking the time.

Passed the PHS and will do the phone interview next. Seems like everything is being pushed through quickly.

Comment

• 647(F)
          647(F) commented
          Editing a comment
          ....Phone Interview? Wow..

Everyone complains about traffic but it seems like one can avoid the worst of it working shift work. Is that the main compliant about LA?

how much would you say you lose per paycheck to taxes and deductions? 25%?

if you live out of state do they give you enough leeway to move to Ca to start the academy?

Comment

Yes, traffic can be bad around here but it's not much different than many other cities. Where I grew up back east, the traffic is just as bad now. Gas is usually more expensive out here than other parts of the country, as is real estate.

The academy classes start at the beginning of each Deployment Period. They fill the classes with folks who have passed through the testing process. If you're currently n the process, plan on passing it, and plan on being hired, you should already be looking for a place to live out here. (That's what I had to do when I was going through the expedited process years ago.) Keep in mind we have three academy locations, two of which you'll be traveling to throughout your time as a recruit. You may want to have a look at them on a map and try not to live too far away so you're not on the road too long while in the academy.

You should already be planning your move out here. If you wait till they tell you you're hired, you'll be falling behind at that point. Scrambling just before you start the academy isn't the best plan. If you're in the process and you want to be hired, then plan for that. Check online for housing out here and the next time you're here, drive around and have a look at where you'd feel comfortable living.

As far as how much you lose per paycheck, that depends on a number of variables. Things like:

How many dependents you have / How many deductions you claim / How many things you sign up for within the department, etc
          Last edited by LA Copper; 04-21-2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
            You're very welcome, I hope you receive good news.

Anyone else have questions?
            Happy to say that today I got the good news!! Two steps left!

Comment

Originally posted by KG0719 View Post

Happy to say that today I got the good news!! Two steps left!

Good deal. Hope the rest of it goes as well.

Comment

LA Copper, you seem to have had a good experience.

As a New Englander, I find this thread very interesting. I always thought about moving out to California but everyone talks so negatively about it. I currently work in the cyber security industry and am also working to become a certified digital forensic examiner. I went to school for criminal justice then for cyber security and always thought California was the smart place to be if I wanted to follow the path of either sticking with cyber security or going law enforcement. Sadly when I bring up the topic of the Los Angeles Police Department, people think I'm crazy. In my eyes California has more opportunities and I'm tired of working boring government contracting / compliance jobs out here in New England.

Comment

Have you guys watching whats been going on in LA for the past week? They're talking about defunding them(LAPD) even more. Think about that, theyre already spread thin as is. Garcetti and the LA City Council panders heavily to certain groups that really could care less about you as a cop.
                  sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                  -George Orwell

Comment

Lmfao LA about to be chicago 2.0. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
                      Have you guys watching whats been going on in LA for the past week? They're talking about defunding them(LAPD) even more. Think about that, theyre already spread thin as is. Garcetti and the LA City Council panders heavily to certain groups that really could care less about you as a cop.
                      Guess I'll stick with CT, RI, MA State Police if my federal applications don't progress.

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
                        Big, Big mistake by the mayor if he does such a thing. Crime will definetly increase putting the safety of the regular citizens and the fewer officers that would be around!!! If anything they need to hire more Officers, but with some changes that is. With that said i have to hurry up on my process.

Comment

The mayor and city council are also demanding police protect their houses for the next 2 months. The PD needs to tell them to hire their own security

Comment

150 million defunded. Enjoy living in The Mog all you folks down there.
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3115 users online. 191 members and 2924 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X