Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in RI. Thank you for the continuous information here it is much appreciated. So what’s the deal with chasing a car if it’s just stolen, that’s good to go?

I watch all those videos, and I’ve got to say I’m very impressed every time with the officers. I think that speaks to the quality of training that you guys receive. I’ve had a body cam for my entire time on the job so that’s not something I’m too concerned with.

Is it possible to get a one bedroom with a decent commute for a price that you can afford with the salary, or is it most likely you have to have roommate(s)? I’m not too worried about owning a home that’s not something I’ve ever really been interested in, I like the flexibility of renting.

FTO is 6 months, which is completely different than my 10 week FTO. Is it like the typical FTO the entire time or are you almost like partners towards the end? And as far as partners, is that someone you pick or is that an assigned thing?

Do calls fo to units assigned to that “beat” or is it from a screen where you pick a call to go to?

Comment

Brendan,

Were you an army medic and work in a town that begins with S? If so, maybe we did meet before.

Stealing a car is a crime so yes, we do pursue stolen cars. Thousands of cars are stolen every year in LA City and LA County so it's fairly common to come across one while you're on patrol so we gets lots of experience dealing with them tactically.

We have an academy class of around 52 recruits starting just about every month. Some of those live at home with mom and dad but not all of them. Every class has on average, 8-10 people who come from out of state like you and they are all are able to afford to live here. Like in other major cities, Providence and Boston among them, some areas are more expensive than others. It would certainly be easier to live with a roommate or significant other who would help defray the cost of living but you can do it alone. I lived in a one bedroom apartment for years by myself, which was fine with me. I guess it depends what you're looking for. I wouldn't live in the Cit of LA for multiple reasons; I'd try a neighboring city where it's safer and cleaner. It is expensive out here but it can be done. It will get easier with more time on the job as your paycheck will increase.

You're on probation for a full year. The first six months you're working with a field training officer every day and you're progress, or lack thereof, is documented daily. (This is where people fail out of the program if they can't keep up.) If you pass the first six months, you are no longer required to work with an FTO, although you still will most of the time. Also, your progress isn't documented daily anymore, although you're still on probation and can still be "asked to leave" the Department if you can't cut it.

After probation is over and you're now a "real officer," you will be sent to a different division where you can remain the rest of your career if you so desire; or you can move, whichever you want to do. Normally you're assigned a partner to begin with, however if there is a classmate or a buddy you want to work with and you're not a problem child, you can ask the watch commander to put you together and that is usually honored. If you do well together, you would stay. If you screw up too many times, you'd be separated.

Every patrol unit has an assigned area. If a radio call is generated in your area and you show available, you will be sent that call by the dispatcher. If you don't show available, the next closest patrol car to your area will be assigned. If no one shows available in the entire division, which happens quite often, the dispatcher will broadcast the call for all to hear in the hopes someone will pick it up. If no one does, the dispatcher will assign the call to a patrol car from a neighboring division to handle. Like I'm guessing most departments use, we have the CAD system here, Computer Aided Dispatching.

Comment

Retired from LASD, the other huge dept. in LA County,, enjoyed reading all the post about LAPD.. One thing everyone should know in my opinion, California probably has the best trained cops in the country.
        Retired LASD

Comment

Hey LA Copper,

Do you know much about the medical part of hiring? I'm having some difficulty and am wanting to know what all options I have.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello KG,

I read your post regarding the depth perception issue but it's hard to understand. Did the 7-10 days already pass and you were already told you didn't make it? If not, stay patient and keep your fingers crossed.

If it has passed and you were DQ'ed, you can always write an appeal to the Personnel Department and see if they'll test you again, especially since you passed the test back home. Don't forget, it's the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department that controls the testing and not the LAPD.
            Last edited by LA Copper; 04-13-2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
              Hello KG,

I read your post regarding the depth perception issue but it's hard to understand. Did the 7-10 days already pass and you were already told you didn't make it? If not, stay patient and keep your fingers crossed.

If it has passed and you were DQ'ed, you can always write an appeal to the Personnel Department and see if they'll test you again, especially since you passed the test back home. Don't forget, it's the City of Los Angeles Personnel Department that controls the testing and not the LAPD.
              Thank you for the reply,

I was hoping my post didn't seem too confusing lol I apologize. The 7-10 days has not passed yet, but I just felt like I still didn't do good on the depth perception. I will continue to be patient though, it's just been weighing on my mind. As far as appealing, that's what this retest was for so I wasn't sure if I could submit more than one appeal for the same thing. If I end up being DQ'ed again maybe I'll try asking to speak with the actual doctor because it makes no sense that I can pass a book test but not the machine test here in LA.

Thank you again for your reply!

Comment

I'm not an expert on the hiring practices but from what I understand, the actual appeal is after you are told you are being DQ'ed. You would then submit a written formal appeal to the Personnel Department. Hopefully you won't have to get that far. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 3M View Post
                  Where to live with a family in LA county.
                  '

IN LA County? Lol...nowhere, maybe Santa Clarita Valley.

East Ventura Co or western San Berdoo.

Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                  Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

I'm not an expert on the hiring practices but from what I understand, the actual appeal is after you are told you are being DQ'ed. You would then submit a written formal appeal to the Personnel Department. Hopefully you won't have to get that far. Good luck.
                    Well that is what happened. I originally applied back in July and did all my testing including medical in December. I was DQ'ed because of my vision but was told by the doctor I could have an optometrist test me and then submit paperwork saying that the issues had been corrected. So I sent my appeal with that documentation and then medical services told me to come out again and retake my vision test with them for my appeal. I hope this time goes better but if it didn't I was just wondering if it's a total dead end or if I can do anything else, but I'll ask them that when they call.

Do you know if any other departments in the area also ride in pairs? That's something about LAPD I really like.

Comment

I don't know for sure about the appeal thing, that's something you're gonna have to get from the Personnel folks. Let's hope it works out.

Regarding riding in the patrol car with a partner, I believe LASD does at some stations. (Retired96 should be able to verify that.) The CHP usually does around here but only at night from what I've seen and been told. I'm not aware of other municipal agencies that do it.

Comment

LASD, only in unincorporated areas of the County and thats at some stations. I know Century does in the Willowbrook and Firestone area. I believe South LA does as well. Any of our contract cities which is the majority of our area, do not have partners unless your on some kind of enforcement detail or in a FTO/trainee car.
                        sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                        -George Orwell

Comment

I don't know for sure about the appeal thing, that's something you're gonna have to get from the Personnel folks. Let's hope it works out.

Regarding riding in the patrol car with a partner, I believe LASD does at some stations. (Retired96 should be able to verify that.) The CHP usually does around here but only at night from what I've seen and been told. I'm not aware of other municipal agencies that do it.
                          Thank y'all so much for all your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

You're very welcome, I hope you receive good news.

Anyone else have questions?

Comment

• FutureOff
                              FutureOff commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What are the favorable stations that you would say that recruits tend to lean towards?

I submitted my PHS today. Any idea how long it takes before you can do your Interview, which is now on-line as well? I assume the PHS is reviewed, but once you meet with a BI, it will be reviewed more in-depth?

Comment

• FutureOff
                              FutureOff commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I summited my PHS on Monday, and got a call today to talk about my PHS so they can process it today. Then they told me to keep a eye on my “status check” To see if it says complete, once it does then they said you could schedule your poly and interview.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder when how then until it’s complete? This isn’t the full BI, because that’s post POly so I wonder if it’s just criminal history checks and everything? I thought I read that PHS shouldn’t be that long, like a week or two. Should be interesting to see if that holds up

Comment

• FutureOff
                              FutureOff commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It’s just to check to see if you did everything correctly. They actually just processed mine, and I can now set up my interview, poly, and PFQ

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4868 users online. 259 members and 4609 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X