• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventura County Sheriff's Department

Any VCSD's out there?

Originally posted by SV Goodguy View Post
    Any VCSD's out there?
    I applied for them last week they sent me an email but I accidentally deleted it!!! Hopefully they will send something in the mail.
    My LAPD Process
    PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
    PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
    Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
    Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
    Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
    Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
    Backgrounds - In Progress
    Oral Psych - TBD
    Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

I was a VCSD reserve for about six months. Didn't like it. All I ever got was attitude.

Look at about two years of jail work before you get to the streets.

They cover Fillmore, Ojai, Saticoy, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Moorpark, half of Westlake Village and a portion of Ventura on Ventura Ave.

Without getting too into who is who I can tell you that certain cities is where they send thier problem children. Equipment wise they supply what you need and I never had a problem there. Pay could be better for full timers compared to other SOs. Internal politics are what they are. But I never saw anyone get crap-canned for anything other then stupidity.

Lately reserves spend much of thier time in Fillmore due to it's own problems. Also expect to spend some time backing Santa Paula City units when your in that area. There was talk about taking Santa Paula but I don't ever see that happening.
      Last edited by ejay; 05-20-2007, 12:41 PM.
      "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Do you know If I have to be a resident of Ventura County in order to be employed by VCSD? I dont wanna live here cuz it costs too much. I work in Oxnard but live in Palmdale (yeah i know the commute is insane been doing it for years and years so im used to it)
        I have 3 applications processing VCSD, LACOPS & CDC after getting non selected from LASD. CDC is my last resort. Seems like VCSD pays the most out of all SD's in Southern Ca.
        Thanks for the Intel!
        My LAPD Process
        PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
        PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
        Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
        Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
        Oral Psych - TBD

Comment

For full time, I think you have to live in a neighboring County at least. Palmdale is just too far. I have a friend who went to work for State Parks Sircom station in Riverside as a dispatcher and is still a reserve for Oxnard so living that far away isn't so bad for a once in a awhile drive.

Ventura Sheriffs has thier own academy in Camarillo next to the reserve academy. Their classes are small which is a good thing. If your ok with jail time for a few years then go for it. Like I said before it's hard to loose your job unless you do something stupid. But there are a lot of political player types in the stripes section of the department.

Have you tried Ventura city? They have thier own politics but their patrol officers are sqared away. Four beats, at least two cars per beat on the slow days. Last I heard they were on a 12 schedule with a six month rotation.
          "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Originally posted by ejay View Post
            For full time, I think you have to live in a neighboring County at least. Palmdale is just too far. I have a friend who went to work for State Parks Sircom station in Riverside as a dispatcher and is still a reserve for Oxnard so living that far away isn't so bad for a once in a awhile drive.

Ventura Sheriffs has thier own academy in Camarillo next to the reserve academy. Their classes are small which is a good thing. If your ok with jail time for a few years then go for it. Like I said before it's hard to loose your job unless you do something stupid. But there are a lot of political player types in the stripes section of the department.

Have you tried Ventura city? They have thier own politics but their patrol officers are sqared away. Four beats, at least two cars per beat on the slow days. Last I heard they were on a 12 schedule with a six month rotation.
            Yeah Ventura City is no longer accepting applications as of 4/30 for non latterals. I should have applied but for some reason thought I was gonna get picked up by LASD (thats what i get for counting my chickens before they hatch). Working the jails is no biggie I'd do it for 10 years if they gave me the oppourtunity. Palmdale is North LA County a lil farther Northeast from Santa Clarita takes me 1 hour 20 min to get to Gonzales & Rice here in Oxnard coming from the 101 through the SFV or 126.
            My LAPD Process
            PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
            PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
            Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
            Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
            Oral Psych - TBD

Comment

Originally posted by MSoCal View Post
              Yeah Ventura City is no longer accepting applications as of 4/30 for non latterals. I should have applied but for some reason thought I was gonna get picked up by LASD (thats what i get for counting my chickens before they hatch). Working the jails is no biggie I'd do it for 10 years if they gave me the oppourtunity. Palmdale is North LA County a lil farther Northeast from Santa Clarita takes me 1 hour 20 min to get to Gonzales & Rice here in Oxnard coming from the 101 through the SFV or 126.
              MsoCal-keep your head up for LACOPS- they are hiring like hotcakes and I'd contact that LASd backgrounds to find out what you can do to imporve your chances,county PD may not pay much at first,but you'll be closer to home ( if you pick the right locations to work) and you'll make the money in OT .Plus-keep your nose lcean,learn all you can,and do to LACOPS growing ,you can promote,be a bonus officer or FTO,or if you should decide ,latreral to LASD,VCSD,or any other Dept you want.heck ,LAXPD is finally deploying FULL time in Palmdale ( opening PMD airport full time),you cvould come over to us if the LACOPS doesn't keep you( but I feel you'll like working with them)
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Ejay- Bro! glad to hear you're hangin up there! you know your "boy" Keke made FTO( and has a few slug Sgts trying to jam him up regarding a min -pursuit recently).funny you mention ventura SD- hear so very little about whats going on up there-usually then its only about the gangsters in Oxnard,or how cool Simi Valley PD-my former reserve classmate and Ex Chief of the L.A. city Park Rangers is a Detective on simi Valley PD now-being low key can be good sometimes,as in L.A. county,and Oc county,everybodies "dirt" is aried in the news......
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Yeah, County Police (LACOPS) has a LOT of openings. We have a sergeant at my station who has been on just 5 years now. There is a LOT of overtime. LOTS of overtime. HUGE AMOUNTS of over time. I think you get the idea. With summertime coming up fast, we have some sweet OT available, too. We have folks that have broke the $100K mark with OT.

Give us a shot! It's a fun job, and we don't chase the radio a whole lot...that leaves more time for the "schweet" obs arrests!

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
                    Ejay- Bro! glad to hear you're hangin up there! you know your "boy" Keke made FTO( and has a few slug Sgts trying to jam him up regarding a min -pursuit recently).funny you mention ventura SD- hear so very little about whats going on up there-usually then its only about the gangsters in Oxnard,or how cool Simi Valley PD-my former reserve classmate and Ex Chief of the L.A. city Park Rangers is a Detective on simi Valley PD now-being low key can be good sometimes,as in L.A. county,and Oc county,everybodies "dirt" is aried in the news......

Yeah I know what you mean. I have friends in both departments who say the same things over and over.

I'm glad he is doing good. Does he still have his muffler business?

Btw, tell Kiki that his favorate Ex Armenian Tac Sgt is now a full timer. I don't remember where though. Wasn't Oxnard though. Somewhere in LA.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement DOA I know its gonna be an uphill battle for me all thanks to my juvenile years (actually I wasnt that bad, but, of course bad enough to make it an uphill battle for me to get in this line of work) I figure if I cant make LE Agency expecially CDC which is my last resort, i'll build me a time machine to go back to my teen years and give myself a good talkin. I didnt find myself and know that I wanted to be in LE untill I was around 19. When I turned 21 I applied for LAPD & during my backgrounds my BI during my meet n greet side barred me like what a father would do to his own kid and gave me some really good advice that I have followed ever since. He told me it was probally in my best interest to do my best in life, stay out trouble @ all cost and in about 10 years try again. He flat out told me there was no way LAPD would even consider me at that time because it had not been long enough to show maturity and responsibility from my teen years. The reason is because I had bad credit, bounced jobs/employment and other "fixable" issues not to mention hung out with trouble makers all prior to age 20. During my teen years I was in alot of fights, stole out of cars (stole 2 radar detectors & loose change out of 2 unlocked cars on 2 seperate occassions (age 15). I always stayed away from drugs Thank God it would have just made it worse for me now.
                      Since the start adulthood i finished junior college, super stable employment(im litterally a model employee for my company perfect attendance yada yada, excellent credit (midrange over 720 score), homeowner since 1999, Married and have nothing to do w/ any type of criminal activity whatsoever. I dont even drink because Iam allergic to alcohol my pancreas cannot process it so it poisons me equiv to anyone drinking gasoline.
                      I waited till now (age 30) to try to get into this line of work following my old LAPD BI's advise so last nov i applied for LASD, I passed backgrounds but I get a non select. Reason stated on letter: Theft I admitted to. I only admitted to some pretty petty stuff and of course the radar detector incidents all thefts that i could think of that i omitted to all my life from age 5combined does not exceed a thousand bucks and Im talkin about everything that I have stolen including the extra sip of soda in the fountain drink dispenser @ the gas station. (the polygrapher told me to put a dollar amount to all thefts ever including pens, post its, thumb tacs litterally anything that i took without permission even not purposely that i stole from my employer or whomever) I sent the appeals letter off pleading with the hiring board to re-evaluate my packet and i indicated that the thefts were misdemeanor Juvie theft that occured 15 years plus ago. Well sorry all to kinda spill my life to everyone but hey thats what blogs and message boards are for (to anonymously spill your guts) Maybe Iam a bad guy and I should give up and just be happy I already have a good career. I dont know. What do ya guys think? I know no one said it would be easy but seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is dim to me.
                      My LAPD Process
                      PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
                      PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
                      Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
                      Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
                      Oral Psych - TBD

Comment

I think that when you DO get hired, you need to change your screen name (disassociate yourself with this so it can't be used against you in court - Pitchess motions and the like).

Like DOA said....don't put all your eggs in 1 basket. try County Police, World Airport, Riverside SO, etc. Everyone's hiring....someone will getcha!

Comment

Jail Question to Any/All VCSD out there

I have been lurking here for a while, but I have some questions so I thought I would jump in. I am testing in November, assuming I clear Background, Physical, Polygraph, etc, I think that puts me somewhere around Spring for availability to be hired. I know the Academy doesn't start until August. But, I have heard that VCSD is using provisional Deputies up at Ventura Jail, meaning Deputies that aren't yet in/through academy. Is that true? Any info on that would be appreciated. What's a day in the life like for a Deputy in the Custody section of the VCSD? I know that no two days are the same, but I was wondering how a shift breaks down. I don't mind the work in theory, but would love to know more about it. Do they do jail tours up there?? Thanks in advance for any/all input.

Comment

Yes, they have hired in the past to fill spots in the jail. Meaning that once you pass backrounds and are waiting for your academy date you can work in the jail with limited duties. They have civilian corrections staff that suppliment the deputies and I think much of the duties of the provisional deputies mirrors that of the civilian staff but they wear a sheriffs uniform.

I never worked at the Ventura jail so I don't know about day to day life. If you get in provisionally, keep your nose clean because they could easily wash thier hands of you if you screw up and you would be out of law enforcement without basic post after that.

Comment

VCSD Jail

Thanks Ejay for the info. I intend to do everything I can to keep the mouth shut and the eyes and ears open as I move through this process. This is a career change for me, so it is my intention to learn all I can from the ground up. I heard that many of the deputies in Custody have been there going on 7-8 years before getting patrol. But that the logjam is loosening up. Have you heard anything about that?? Eventually, I'd like to work Gang Intel or Emergency Response. I have a Master's Degree that covers those areas, which is what is prompting the career change, plus the money looks to be pretty good too!
                              Again thank you for your reply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3444 users online. 248 members and 3196 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X