Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screemy1
    replied
    sounds like you have some good choices... good luck and no matter what you do it will be an exciting couple years ahead... change is always fun!

Leave a comment:

• LA Copper
    replied
    MidCareer,
    I work for the LAPD and I still love it, even after 18 years and Chief Bratton's statements. It's still a great job. As anything else, it all depends what you're looking for. Every department has it's problems, it's just that ours are more advertised in the media much more often.

By the way, I work with a guy who is from Indiana and is also a former Marine. He still loves it too.

Leave a comment:

• novmike
    replied
    A year or less

I was told one year or less. As former Marine's that we are, you know full well that we can't believe everything we're told by SDSD.

It sounds good though!

I still live in Oceanside, so if hired, I'm hoping for this area, which I hear, is hard to get. I'll work anywhere though-ready to serve.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• MidCareer
    replied
    Can't really think outside of California as there are only a couple of choices that my wife has been offered. Money/cost of living isn't really going to be a HUGE concern as my wife has just been promoted within her company.

California isn't new to me as I was a drill instructor out in San Diego for 3 years and put some time in Camp Pendleton as well. So, I'm very familiar with both San Diego and LA. If it's true that SDSD would hire lateral's and not make us do any jail time, I'd really be interested in that. I think I'm going to look into this a lot deeper. Thanks for the responses thus far!

Hey Novmike....how long did they say you'd be doing court time? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Screemy1
    replied
    so many choices... and other states... Think outside of California sense it is so damb expensive, dirty, and crappy citizens... but if it is new to you... it might be exciting.... but I would be willing to bet after a few years you would want to move back out of California.... but some people love it here??? so I am just rambling...

Leave a comment:

• novmike
    replied
    Sdsd

I'm in the background process right now with San Diego SD. We are being told that we will not be doing jail time, courts yes, and then patrol.

If you've never been to LA, you might want to see what you're in for first.

Leave a comment:

• Screemy1
    replied
    LAPD, heard a lot of tension sense Bratton threw Metro under the bus.... friends that were tossing the idea to bail are now seriously looking.....

Leave a comment:

• nobody33
    replied
    Originally posted by willowdared View Post
    Were they laterals from another agency?

No, laterals don't go through the academy.

Leave a comment:

• willowdared
    replied
    Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
    Couple of my SDSO buddies from the Jan academy got sent to Central jail. About half went to jails, the other half to courts.
    Were they laterals from another agency?

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied
    Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
    Couple of my SDSO buddies from the Jan academy got sent to Central jail. About half went to jails, the other half to courts.
    Uh-oh. Their recruiter didn't give me the full scoop then

Leave a comment:

• nobody33
    replied
    Originally posted by westcoast View Post
    Just so you know San Diego County doesn't require jail time. They have a Corrections/Courts classification and a Law Enforcement/Patrol classification that are completely separate. .

Leave a comment:

• westcoast
    replied
    Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
    Gotta do jail time in most Cali sheriff's dept's. don't ya??? Also, anyone know exactly what California will take as far as my training and certification from Indiana? I know, read the POST site, lol. Just would like the down and dirty.
    Just so you know San Diego County doesn't require jail time. They have a Corrections/Courts classification and a Law Enforcement/Patrol classification that are completely separate. Also I believe that Santa Clara SO, Santa Cruz SO, Solano SO, and several others may not require time in the jails. Although with these last three you run the risk of being a bailiff until FTOs are available to train you. Further, they're all in NorCal so they're probably irrelevant to you. Orange County SO is about 4 years in the jails. LA Sheriff varies depending on which patrol stations you request, i.e. City of Industry could mean 5 years in the jails but Palmdale/Lancaster could mean 2 years.

Best of luck. Stay safe. And be prepared for anti-police hippie types.
    Last edited by westcoast; 05-16-2007, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pulicords
    replied
    Don't limit your inquiries to So Ca agencies that start with L.A. there's numerous other departments is the area, which although smaller offer better pay, benefits and working conditions. Check out:
    Santa Monica
    Beverly Hills
    Long Beach
    Torrance
    Glendale
    Burbank
    Buena Ventura (in Ventura County)
    Huntington Beach (in Orange County)

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Try RSO (Riverside Sheriff). We just picked up a lateral from Arizona with no jail time, straight to patrol. It's a great place to work. PM me for more info.

Leave a comment:

• DOAcop38
    replied
    go to the California PEACE officers Standards and training website
    www.post.ca.gov check for the post challege exam info( for out of staters) if you can transfer some training over and pass the exams,you can get you CA. POST certificate and bypass most of the academy start over stuff. definitely check out LAcity.org and go to the employment/personnel section

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3989 users online. 240 members and 3749 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X