300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Westerner's to LAPD....

Any of you out there with the LAPD formerly mid-west law enforcement? The wife's company has given her the opportunity to move to several locations throughout the counrty with LA being one of them. Been a police officer here for close to 15 years and have no problem with doing another academy. 60 hours college, former Marine.

Just looking for input from anyone that used to work back this way and made the trek out to the LAPD. Thanks for the input.

Even though they are going through a hiring binge right now, the hiring process takes quite a long time due to the amount of candidates currently applying. There is a forum that is ran exclusively by an LAPD Backgrounds investigator that will have alot of knowledge and answers to the questions that you are seeking. http://policebackground.net
    Dont forget there are many other agencies in the greater LA area that are going through hiring binges as well. LASD, LACounty Police, LA Port Authorty, World Airports, General Services, the lists go on and on.
    My LAPD Process
    PQE - 7/07 - PASSED
    PAT 1 - 7/24 - PASSED
    Prelim BI - 7/25 - PASSED
    Poly - 7/26 - PASSED
    Oral - 09/15 - PASSED
    Medical/Written Psych - 09/27 PASSED
    Backgrounds - In Progress
    Oral Psych - TBD
    Cert. & Appointment - TBD

Comment

Since you're willing to go thru academy again.

http://www.joinsdsheriff.net/lateral.html

Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Gotta do jail time in most Cali sheriff's dept's. don't ya??? Also, anyone know exactly what California will take as far as my training and certification from Indiana? I know, read the POST site, lol. Just would like the down and dirty.
        Last edited by MidCareer; 05-16-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

go to the California PEACE officers Standards and training website
          www.post.ca.gov check for the post challege exam info( for out of staters) if you can transfer some training over and pass the exams,you can get you CA. POST certificate and bypass most of the academy start over stuff. definitely check out LAcity.org and go to the employment/personnel section
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Try RSO (Riverside Sheriff). We just picked up a lateral from Arizona with no jail time, straight to patrol. It's a great place to work. PM me for more info.
            God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Don't limit your inquiries to So Ca agencies that start with L.A. there's numerous other departments is the area, which although smaller offer better pay, benefits and working conditions. Check out:
              Santa Monica
              Beverly Hills
              Long Beach
              Torrance
              Glendale
              Burbank
              Buena Ventura (in Ventura County)
              Huntington Beach (in Orange County)
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
                Gotta do jail time in most Cali sheriff's dept's. don't ya??? Also, anyone know exactly what California will take as far as my training and certification from Indiana? I know, read the POST site, lol. Just would like the down and dirty.
                Just so you know San Diego County doesn't require jail time. They have a Corrections/Courts classification and a Law Enforcement/Patrol classification that are completely separate. Also I believe that Santa Clara SO, Santa Cruz SO, Solano SO, and several others may not require time in the jails. Although with these last three you run the risk of being a bailiff until FTOs are available to train you. Further, they're all in NorCal so they're probably irrelevant to you. Orange County SO is about 4 years in the jails. LA Sheriff varies depending on which patrol stations you request, i.e. City of Industry could mean 5 years in the jails but Palmdale/Lancaster could mean 2 years.

Best of luck. Stay safe. And be prepared for anti-police hippie types.
                Last edited by westcoast; 05-16-2007, 06:49 PM.
                CBP Officer
                Written- Feb. 09
                Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
                Physical- Apr. 09
                Medical- May 09
                Medical Update- Jul. 09
                Background Investigation- Aug. 09
                Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
                Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
                Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Originally posted by westcoast View Post
                  Just so you know San Diego County doesn't require jail time. They have a Corrections/Courts classification and a Law Enforcement/Patrol classification that are completely separate. .
                  Couple of my SDSO buddies from the Jan academy got sent to Central jail. About half went to jails, the other half to courts.
                  Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
                    Couple of my SDSO buddies from the Jan academy got sent to Central jail. About half went to jails, the other half to courts.
                    Uh-oh. Their recruiter didn't give me the full scoop then
                    CBP Officer
                    Written- Feb. 09
                    Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
                    Physical- Apr. 09
                    Medical- May 09
                    Medical Update- Jul. 09
                    Background Investigation- Aug. 09
                    Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
                    Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
                    Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
                      Were they laterals from another agency?
                      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared View Post
                        Were they laterals from another agency?

No, laterals don't go through the academy.
                        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

LAPD, heard a lot of tension sense Bratton threw Metro under the bus.... friends that were tossing the idea to bail are now seriously looking.....

Comment

Sdsd

I'm in the background process right now with San Diego SD. We are being told that we will not be doing jail time, courts yes, and then patrol.

If you've never been to LA, you might want to see what you're in for first.

Comment

so many choices... and other states... Think outside of California sense it is so damb expensive, dirty, and crappy citizens... but if it is new to you... it might be exciting.... but I would be willing to bet after a few years you would want to move back out of California.... but some people love it here??? so I am just rambling...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5592 users online. 344 members and 5248 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X