300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Developmental Center PD

Hello all, any information on this Department? I found a thread on here but it's over 10 years old. This specific listing is for the facility in Costa Mesa.

https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrP...ntrolId=137776

I’d pass if I were you. They are sworn under the same penal code as State Hospital Police. This is more a security guard job if anything.

Also it says they require a basic post academy but the agency itself is not post certified. Meaning your post academy certificate will expire after working 3 years with them.

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
      orlandofed5-0 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is from the website.. sounds like they get POST certification..

OPS is a Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) participating agency. POST was established by the Legislature in 1959 to set minimum selection and training standards for California law enforcement.

• NorCalAspirant
      NorCalAspirant commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that but they don’t show up in the List of POST participating agencies on the POST website.

https://www.dds.ca.gov/OPS/
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

They are basically unarmed State Hospital Police who primary function is to deal with out of control mental patients. I have not interacted with them in several years, however when I did, as a matter of operating policy they kept their officers from engaging in even the most minor police work (other than taking cold reports) and tried to get either Costa Mesa PD or CHP to handle matters for them. Both agencies routinely declined unless it was a major crime.

Basically, you are looking at an agency that deals with so little crime that when something occurs, they lack the epertise and training necessary to handle it. There is nothing more frightening to a supervisor or manager than having to be responsible for something they haven't the foggiest idea how to handle, so sometimes their response is to have you do nothing. You will find that in a lot of the PC 830.4 jobs.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

DSS Dept. of Development Services will send you to a regular basic academy as opposed to DMH Dept. of Mental Health who send their folks to an in-house non-POST academy. I know folks who have used DSS as a stepping stone to get a basic POST cert. and lateral over to a local agency. You will basically be providing security services to the facility your assigned too. Fairview Development Center will be closing soon and I think a majority of the centers statewide will follow suit. DSS has sworn peace officers providing security and sworn investigators assigned to their centers.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, it's very helpful. I looked into it further looks like they only hire academy graduates. They don't have a "recruit" position. I guess there is unpredictable stability if the state is closing the facility.

Comment

They do show up on the POST website as CA CA Department of Developmental Services https://www.dds.ca.gov/OPS/
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• NorCalAspirant
              NorCalAspirant commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I see it now. I looked under office of protective services before.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12636 users online. 492 members and 12144 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X