300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California State Park Ranger

Anyone here currently going through the process for Park Ranger? Thanks.

I am. Completed the PAT and submitted my PELLET-B score, awaiting results.

Comment

Originally posted by VC805 View Post
      I am. Completed the PAT and submitted my PELLET-B score, awaiting results.
      Im going to retake the test and aim to score higher. Scored a 48 and I know I can score higher. Currently work for a large LEO agency in LA and hope it helps with pushing my bg papers.

Comment

• moparfan
        moparfan commented
        Editing a comment
        I emailed a recruiter awhile back and asked the same question. He told me it's still a year process for current LEOs to get hired. Now I see why they have openings

Originally posted by dctalk523 View Post

Im going to retake the test and aim to score higher. Scored a 48 and I know I can score higher. Currently work for a large LEO agency in LA and hope it helps with pushing my bg papers.
      Good luck on the test!

Comment

I got my test results and did worse. I passed but disappointed at my score.

Comment

• GGD_CHP
          GGD_CHP commented
          Editing a comment
          If you passed, you passed. The State of California takes seriously the employment rights for applicants. Couple that with the reality that every law enforcement agency in the state needs to hire every single qualified applicant they can find. As a background investigator for the CHP, I can tell you definitively that no one cares about your T-score if you met the minimum qualification. There is likely zero benefit in scoring higher. I would check with a DFG recruiter before going through that trouble.

I got my test results and did worse. I passed but disappointed at my score.
        Don't be discouraged. You may still place in a decent rank. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Anyone get an update?

Comment

Negative. Hopefully something by end of month.

Comment

Just a word of caution -

If you work for a local agency, you are more than likely getting paid every two weeks and equate your monthly salary to 4 weeks equaling 1 month.

While the State of California shows a monthly salary, it is exempt from state law that requires paycheck every two weeks and only pays once a month. Because some months are longer and some are shorter, the state breaks each year into what it calls "12 near-equal pay periods", which when averaged out are 176 working hours per period, or 4.4 weeks. You can see what they look like here https://www.documents.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/fmc/pdf/std640.pdf

There are 13 - 4 week pay periods in a year, but there are only 12 near-equal pay periods in a year. Most local agency personnel transferring to the state fail to realize that and only after they get here do they realize the salary they will be receiving comes out to 92.3% less than what they thought it was in their head.

If pay is a big factor for you, do the math before you jump ship. Many years ago, one of my friends left a Southern California PD after 10 years on the job, to take a spot as a Special Agent with DOJ. He knew he was taking a pay cut, but he would get a take home car, paid cell phone and pager, no commute and thought he would make up some of the loss with overtime. It wasn't until his first day at the DOJ academy that he learned about how the state pays and that he would be getting 8% less than the first pay cut he thought he would be taking. He quit on the spot, drove home and begged his Chief for his old job back (which he got).
              Last edited by L-1; 11-14-2019, 06:27 PM.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Anyone else finding a hard time trying to find your ranking?

Comment

Anyone else finding a hard time trying to find your ranking?
                    Log into the CalCareers website>Exam / Assessment Records>Click on List Code 17065

Your score and rank will be listed. View ELD (right hand side) for more stats.

Comment

Thanks. So if there’s 245 ppl on this list and I’m in rank 3 do I still have a shot?

Comment

Thanks. So if there’s 245 ppl on this list and I’m in rank 3 do I still have a shot?
                        Are you the only one in Rank 3 or are you one of many in Band 3?

Once upon a time, the state conducted honest testing. The written was weighted 60% and the oral was weighted 40%. If 245 people passed both, there were 245 people on the list in 245 different positions based on their combined scores. Scored may have varied by a fraction of a point and rarely did two people tie for the same position, but there were 245 actual positions on the list.

Back in the 1980s, some agencies started banding. Some would create 5 bands (ranks), others 3 bands, etc. How many bands was up to the agency. As an example, an agency that elected to have 5 bands might put everyone who scored 95 to 100 in band 1, 89 to 94 in band 2, 83 to 88 in Band 3, 77 to 82 in band 4, and 70 to 76 in band 5.

Under the rule of 3, they could then select anyone fom bands 1, 2 or 3, (scores 77 to 100). Aside from throwing merit out the window, this allowed them to pick and choose from 60% of the people who passed the test. They could select because they were a friend, went to the same church, because they liked the suit they wore to the oral, trhey liked the way they parted their hair, because of their ethnicity, or gender, or any other thing that suited their fancy.

So, if you are the only one in rank 3, you stand a good chance. If you are one of many in band 3, keep applying elsewhere.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Just a word of caution -
                          So what you’re saying is since in 2019: March, May, August, November had 5 weeks in them you’re working an extra week for the same amount of pay?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5952 users online. 399 members and 5553 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X