Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Investigation

From 2014 to 2016 I was a total POS.

Since getting married and having a child I have grown up so much in the last couple of years.

I recently decided to follow my dream of becoming a police officer. I am just worried about the background. I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I was just a rude, cocky, untrustworthy person and was financially irresponsible. (I am getting my finances in order, repayment plans.)

I am worried that my past, from three years ago, will make it impossible for me to become a police officer.

I smoked weed a few times, the last time being October of 2018. I had a massive panic attack from it... definitely not my thing.

I was sued over a business dispute. (I am paying off the balance now)

Ive had 5 jobs in the last 6 years. I was terminated from one of those jobs in 2016 for being a total @$$

How can I prove that I’m not that same person? I’ve made such progress in life and I really don’t want my past to haunt me anymore. I am trying to figure things out and make a life better for my family. Being a @$$ is definitely not the answer.

I went back to Adult School last year and got my high school diploma with excellent grades.

I’ve had the same job for the last year and have gained a list of references from coworkers and supervisors. I had a minor issue with one supervisor (everyone seems to have an issue with that same one).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Time and distance are the only thing that would help you. Your weed smoking is way too recent for any agency to touch you, then you add the employment instability and being fired along with your lack of financial responsibilities. I am sorry to say but if you were to apply now, you would be spinning your wheels. You are going up against people that do not have these types of issues. Your competition will be folks with college degrees and military experience.

I was a BI for my agency for a few years and I would simply tell you to get your affairs in order, go back to school, quit switching jobs and find some stability in your life for at 3 to 4 years. I know its not what you want to hear but it's the truth. Please spare the BI, the "its my lifelong dream" act. If that was the case your decision making and judgment would be a little better. Not judging you, because who am I to do that, I dont even know you, but you came here seeking some answers. Anyhow I wish you luck.
    sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by lak2018! View Post

I smoked weed a few times, the last time being October of 2018. I had a massive panic attack from it... definitely not my thing.

Ive had 5 jobs in the last 6 years. I was terminated from one of those jobs in 2016 for being a total @$$

I’ve had the same job for the last year and have gained a list of references from coworkers and supervisors. I had a minor issue with one supervisor (everyone seems to have an issue with that same one).
      Well, you have some serious baggage. I'll offer some constructive criticism and nothing personal is meant.

* Smoking weed as recently as October 2018 shows poor judgment, a lack of maturity, and is way too recent to say your actions show you've changed enough to show you want to be a police officer. Also, your age in Oct. 2018 will be a factor.

* Being sued and found liable to the tune of being on a payment program would be looked into and will probably not be in your favor.

* Five jobs in six years with a 2016 termination is really bad. I mean really bad. The job instability, ability to work with others, and setting and achieving goals just isn't there.

I'd tell you to join the military if you were young and didn't have a wife and child. I don't see a lot maturity in the last "couple of years" as you stated.

The bottom line for me: You'll need at least 5 years to clear yourself of any drug use and other poor behavior. Build up a resume of good employment history, pay off your debts and built up a good credit history. Steer clear of any disputes with anybody. However, if you do that, it's just the jump off point to try and distance yourself from your past and show you truly have matured. But there's no guarantee even that will be enough to get hired.
      Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
      http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Since getting married and having a child I have grown up so much in the last couple of years.

I recently decided to follow my dream of becoming a police officer. I am just worried about the background. I’ve never been in trouble with the law. I was just a rude, cocky, untrustworthy person and was financially irresponsible. (I am getting my finances in order, repayment plans.)

I am worried that my past, from three years ago, will make it impossible for me to become a police officer.

How can I prove that I’m not that same person? I’ve made such progress in life and I really don’t want my past to haunt me anymore. I am trying to figure things out and make a life better for my family. Being a @$$ is definitely not the answer.

I went back to Adult School last year and got my high school diploma with excellent grades.

Thank you!
        Hmmmmmm...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

This has to be a troll post lol

Comment

Thank you!
            100% positive, any agency in Florida would hire you.
            "The only easy day was yesterday"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4888 users online. 221 members and 4667 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X